Which SpongeBob Character Would Be A Great Main Character For A Spin-Off

Kerststol

Amyroos
Let's say, SpongeBob has ended. And Nickelodeon (BEING NICKELODEON) decided that the show should have a spin-off. And they came down here to our humble forums to ask "Which character would do best if given the job of being a main character for a SpongeBob spin-off".

Obviously, there will be many choices. But I, on paper, would pick Sandy.

First, her character is most flexible. It's hard to make Sandy OOC because she's very flexible. She can be on a mindless rampage. She can be a super-friendly southern belle. She can act all tough. She can even act all smart. So she doesn't have to be put in a certain situation. While lovable cast members like Plankton or Squidward has to be placed in a certain setting to exploit their best. Plankton HAS to have Krabs with him. Squidward HAS to have annoying substances to drive him nuts.

She also has an interestingly mysterious background. Which would be the perfect idea for a spin-off. An adventure with Sandy before her Bikini Bottom days. It would have massive potential. And if it works, the new spin-off would be another massive ratings trap.

Although I wouldn't buy into the whole "spin-off" idea. I would even say that it's a terrible idea to create an SB spin-off. But if it happened ...

Which character would you promote? :)

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Brilliant analysis on Sandy, Kersie. :)

But I would say that the most important part of creating a spin-off is the actual setting and formula that would be extracted from the original show. It's a better move to determine the actual materials for the show's main plotlines rather than basing the entire show on one character and then wait and see what happens.

For that, I would pick the whole Krabs vs Plankton kerfuffle. We had enough episodes that involves corporate cockfights between the 2 pillocks in the past. So if the show actually gets a spin-off why not make this episode formula into a whole show's material. Of course it would be VERY rigid in terms of plot lines. Every episode will have the exactly same formula. So the show needs good writers to produce brilliant and consistent executions on a daily basis.

Every episode would stick to the same formula, like Phineas and Ferb. But if P&F can be a success, why can't this?

Kerststol

Amyroos
SpongeRoadie UK said:
Brilliant analysis on Sandy, Kersie. :)

But I would say that the most important part of creating a spin-off is the actual setting and formula that would be extracted from the original show. It's a better move to determine the actual materials for the show's main plotlines rather than basing the entire show on one character and then wait and see what happens.

For that, I would pick the whole Krabs vs Plankton kerfuffle. We had enough episodes that involves corporate cockfights between the 2 pillocks in the past. So if the show actually gets a spin-off why not make this episode formula into a whole show's material. Of course it would be VERY rigid in terms of plot lines. Every episode will have the exactly same formula. So the show needs good writers to produce brilliant and consistent executions on a daily basis.

Every episode would stick to the same formula, like Phineas and Ferb. But if P&F can be a success, why can't this?
Thank you <3

I think you have a point though. The spin-off would be much more prepared. But it won't be as expressive. We all know how every episode would end. Of course it could be a very nice success if every episode is executed well. But fans could get bored faster.

It's really a matter of personal preference between fans on how they want their shows built upon.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Kerststol said:
Thank you <3
You're welcome <3 <3

Kerststol said:
It's really a matter of personal preference between fans on how they want their shows built upon.
Nailed it. I'd prefer the show to be based around the existing formula already created in the original show. So there would be a feel of assurance and warranty when the spin-off airs.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
I think it would be rather interesting to see Squidward have his own show. He finally moves away from SpongeBob and now we can see what his new home is like and what adventures he has with his new neighbors and such. :)

Cha

I love SBM
A spin off should feel original and blooming with possible plotlines. Yet still be connected with the original show so it doesn't feel more like a show and less like a spin off. While Patrick has been a source of comedy and can move plots along in the original show. Now having him as a main star (heh get it lel) would feel too close to the series already, since he's usually always on screen with SpongeBob already. I feel they used him up enough for appearances. If this were pre-movie/early post-movie Patrick it might work because he still had his "sophisticated idiot" as Roadie might say. But honestly, Patrick has come to the point where he's a such a babbling baby especially in S8/S9 lately that I rather not go in that direction. If you want to see an example of what your Patrick Star spin off would be check out "Rise and Shine" rather that be good or bad in your opinion. :p

Let's see the other possibilities now. Krabs/Plankton feels too close to the series for me. If Sandy Cheeks went back to Texas, that would have many possible plotlines (Dirty Dan and Pinhead Larry as the villians anyone?) A Sandy show in Texas does seen a little off from the underwater setting of the series. I feel internally bothered by the fact we don't be able to be under the sea anymore. So, does this possibility feel a little fair fetched from the original show? I guess it depends on you. For me? Yes it does. The other secondary characters like Mrs. Puff, Larry and Pearl don't interest me enough personally to have a spin off.

How about Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy? Why didn't I think of this sooner?! Heck yeah! We are still able to stay in our underwater setting as well as see all the superheroes/villians we've come to enjoy. Who doesn't want to see them in their primes fighting against the forces of E.V.I.L. Well, it might feel a little off since they are technically not in the main six characters bubble. But, I have confident this will work. MM&BB are a beloved duo and have so many possibilities, that even the SB Comics can't contain them.

Squidward could actually beautifully work as a spin off if he moved to Squidville or something. But then again, Squidward could have a series ("Squidward's Back" in particular heh) that still has SB/Pat but we don't feel like they're the main stars anymore. How? I loved in pre movie episodes whenever there was a Squidward episode. We never really payed attention to what SpongeBob is doing in the corner, we focus on the dreadful morning of what lies ahead for this octopus man who we can relate with with our own oppucations. A man who is grumpy because he has to work at a job he hates, neighbors that bug him and all he wants to do his show his art to the world? Brilliant, it's the misunderstood human being that almost anyone can relate to. If there are people who are as chipper as SpongeBob, then there are a load of misunderstood artists like Squidward. We have a deep connection with these feelings because we are Squidward. Compared to SB where we can only dream of being energetic like the lad. If the show is able to have enough original plots and some new characters (Squilliam and Howard would actually work well in this since they are/were close to him). That possibly show for example, Squidward's art being made known in the community and new chances for him to do things then sure. As long as we can still relate to his dead end job part.

Final verdict?

Squidward or MM&BB fit the bill for me

Growlie

Best Boy
I vote Squidward, and the idea of him and Squilliam having some competition between them, and maybe some good character development for Squilliam which Is what I would want. And I'm sure you want it to. We could have some where they're forced to work together, like let's say they were kidnapped, or have something emotional happen. It was kinda why I made my first post about Squilliam being in every episode of SpongeBob, but as a spin-off it just might work.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
I would love a spin-off show about Squidward and Squilliam that's sort of like The Odd Couple. Before anyone comes after me with pitchforks and torches, this has nothing to do with my ship. Well, okay, it was very little do with my ship. The original Odd Couple were just roommates, nothing romantic, and that was all I meant by the comparison.

I think the characters who would work best for a spin-off are Squidward, Sandy and Plankton. Squidward has the most versatility and more depth than most characters on the show, so he'd make a good lead. Sandy is almost as versatile as Squidward and has a cool gimmick of being the only land creature living underwater, which would be an interesting concept to base a show around. There's a lot of potential in that idea. Plankton isn't as fleixble as the other two, but he does have a dynamic character and some fun gimmicks that could probably carry a show, but it could get stale fast if not done right.

todd phillips

Krabby Patty Burglar
i don't know,anybody would be good for a spinoff but i don't want it to last long and after that we can go back to our regular scheduled program.

Cha

I love SBM
I would love a spin-off show about Squidward and Squilliam that's sort of like The Odd Couple. Before anyone comes after me with pitchforks and torches, this has nothing to do with my ship. Well, okay, it was very little do with my ship. The original Odd Couple were just roommates, nothing romantic, and that was all I meant by the comparison.

I think the characters who would work best for a spin-off are Squidward, Sandy and Plankton. Squidward has the most versatility and more depth than most characters on the show, so he'd make a good lead. Sandy is almost as versatile as Squidward and has a cool gimmick of being the only land creature living underwater, which would be an interesting concept to base a show around. There's a lot of potential in that idea. Plankton isn't as fleixble as the other two, but he does have a dynamic character and some fun gimmicks that could probably carry a show, but it could get stale fast if not done right.
So basically the intelligent part of the cast finally gets to shine full force. wooo

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
CowBob RanchPants said:
So basically the intelligent part of the cast finally gets to shine full force. wooo
I hadn't realized that I basically listed all of the (comparatively) smart characters. :p But yeah, I would definitely love to see the smarter characters get a chance to shine. Although I actually consider SpongeBob to be quite smart.

Kerststol

Amyroos
HarryPotterLives said:
I hadn't realized that I basically listed all of the (comparatively) smart characters. :p But yeah, I would definitely love to see the smarter characters get a chance to shine. Although I actually consider SpongeBob to be quite smart.
TV Tropes says SpongeBob is a math whiz

Back