Which one has aged better? Dreamcast/GameCube Era Sonic or PlayStation 2/GameCube Era SpongeBob?

Dreamcast Sonic vs GameCube SpongeBob

• Total voters

NTMRAD

Baby Clam
Okay, guys. I asked this before on somewhere else unrelated, but since different opinions exist all over the web, I decided to see what you guys have to say or think. Which era of these two series have aged better in comparison to the other? Dreamcast Sonic or GameCube SpongeBob? This can include games such as Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Battle For Bikini Bottom, The SpongeBob Movie Game, Creature From The Krusty Krab and other games released for each era.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Easily the Game Cube with SpongeBob. I might as just vote for that one because of Battle for Bikini Bottom. I don't know about you, but this one trumps the other one, though some of the last Dreamcast games are pretty cool, I think this is just better, no offence to Sonic or anything.

nobody

Imitation Krab
Well...I don't really know. Looking back at them, they have pretty low-quality graphics compared to today's standards, but I can say the Sonic games look alright compared to simple platform gameplay. Yeah sorry, never experienced playing a game from those eras except The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and I can't just pick SpongeBob right away.

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
Lol you guys are blinded by BFBB and movie game but there is tons of bad ps2 era spongebob games like REVENGE OF THE FLYING DUTCHMAN and the real classic Atlantis Squarepantis. Nicktoons Movin' another classic. CFTKK was pretty good and LCP was too. Lol nicktoons unite is yet another classic game. Look spongebob on the ps2/gamecube is not all classics. Sonic I'd say is at least more consistent in that era.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Strange comparasion, that's for sure.
BftBB is the only SB game from that era I can call really good even now, Movie game and CftKK are kinda eh.
In this era for Sonic we had SA1-2 and Heroes, with only stinker being Shadow the Hedgehog.
So Sonic that is.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Goin' for SpongeBob solely based on the PS2 games. Never had a Gamecube and I have never heard of a Dreamcast. But, the Sonic games don't look too dated from what I've seen, so aging's been fairly kind to both SpongeBob and Sonic for their respective Gamecube eras.

BenPaz: Act Zero said:
Lol you guys are blinded by BFBB and movie game but there is tons of bad ps2 era spongebob games like REVENGE OF THE FLYING DUTCHMAN and the real classic Atlantis Squarepantis. Nicktoons Movin' another classic. CFTKK was pretty good and LCP was too. Lol nicktoons unite is yet another classic game. Look spongebob on the ps2/gamecube is not all classics. Sonic I'd say is at least more consistent in that era.
Considering RotFD was like the first of the PS2 SpongeBob games, I'd give it the benefit of a doubt. Also, I personally found it to be quite fun all things considered. Sure, it's ugly to look at, but at best it looks like a poor quality version of Battle for Bikini Bottom. As for Atlantis...I dunno, man, that game was rather fun, too, in my opinion. Console version deffo better than the Wii version, I'll say that much.

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
TheLocalAquatic said:
Considering RotFD was like the first of the PS2 SpongeBob games, I'd give it the benefit of a doubt. Also, I personally found it to be quite fun all things considered. Sure, it's ugly to look at, but at best it looks like a poor quality version of Battle for Bikini Bottom. As for Atlantis...I dunno, man, that game was rather fun, too, in my opinion. Console version deffo better than the Wii version, I'll say that much.
Atlantis on wii looks better. On the Wii the 1 and 2 buttons are used for the posing game (sideways wiimote) yet on ps2 you have to use the triggers which seem more annoying to go really fast with. The squidward shooter level and camera levels are easier to be precise with pointer controls. However we can both agree the part where you're in the cave is way more annoying on Wii.

crushingmayhem

Krabby Patty Burglar
From what I've played. I'd have to say the DC/GCN Sonic titles. Considering they have gotten many re-releases over the years and overall they hold better in today's gaming landscape. BFBB was a great game, but I have to go with the former option.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I don’t have a stance on SpongeBob platformers, but the Sonic Adventure games (and Heroes) have aged pretty poorly in nearly every area (except music, with Adventure having my favourite soundtrack).

Birds858

Floating Shopping List
I would say both since i like both games from these Era even if i never played Revenge of the Flying Duchtman or Sonic Heroes. But, the two Sonic Adventure are way better than the movie game and CFTKK.

Btw, the ost of CFTKK is underrated.

NTMRAD

Baby Clam
FinnDinner said:
Hey shouldn't this be in Plankton's Laboratory not Bikini Bottom?
I didn't know. I'm still kind of new to how the site works, considering how the layout can be a bit overwhelming to me, sometimes.

KarateSponge

Parawhore
Which one's mentioned much more? Sonic. Which one is praised? Sonic. Which one had a show where hedgehogs, echidnas, foxes, and others were transported into a human world and became part of normal everyday life? Spongebob. This one's goin to Spongebob guys, but that one thing alone makes it great.

KarateSponge

Parawhore
TheLocalAquatic said:
Goin' for SpongeBob solely based on the PS2 games. Never had a Gamecube and I have never heard of a Dreamcast. But, the Sonic games don't look too dated from what I've seen, so aging's been fairly kind to both SpongeBob and Sonic for their respective Gamecube eras.

I would give it the benefit, I mean so many other firsts of series on any console or platform were sooo good, I can't just say "Well, Spongebob was bad in his first game on the ps2, but others were good, not all, but ok, Spongebob it is!" I mean, so many other games did much better, and it'd only be fair if you see how both did on their first adventures on their respective consoles

Sonic Adventure, re-released on Gamecube as DX Director's Cut, so that's a good sign. Not at all a bad game, especially after........SONIC 3D BLAST OH GOD

It was the first real 3d Sonic game, and preformed great. It had great controls and it was just overall a good package.

RoTFD? Though my bias is towards Sonic, I will give it a fair review (from what I've heard)

The story is what you'd expect from the show, so nothing to review there I'd say

Sluggish controls, annoying music, N64 graphics (I'm not saying they're bad, I love chunky graphics as a style, I won't count this game out just for that), and so...so many loading screens.

It received mixed to average reviews on Metacritic, but the PS2 version on the other hand....

7MTCYjC.png

JESUS!

How about Sonic Adventure?

hiU3fR4.png

Hm....I think we know who wins here.

NTMRAD

Baby Clam
KarateSponge said:
I would give it the benefit, I mean so many other firsts of series on any console or platform were sooo good, I can't just say "Well, Spongebob was bad in his first game on the ps2, but others were good, not all, but ok, Spongebob it is!" I mean, so many other games did much better, and it'd only be fair if you see how both did on their first adventures on their respective consoles

Sonic Adventure, re-released on Gamecube as DX Director's Cut, so that's a good sign. Not at all a bad game, especially after........SONIC 3D BLAST OH GOD

It was the first real 3d Sonic game, and preformed great. It had great controls and it was just overall a good package.

RoTFD? Though my bias is towards Sonic, I will give it a fair review (from what I've heard)

The story is what you'd expect from the show, so nothing to review there I'd say

Sluggish controls, annoying music, N64 graphics (I'm not saying they're bad, I love chunky graphics as a style, I won't count this game out just for that), and so...so many loading screens.

It received mixed to average reviews on Metacritic, but the PS2 version on the other hand....

7MTCYjC.png

JESUS!

How about Sonic Adventure?

hiU3fR4.png

Hm....I think we know who wins here.
You've brought some good points to the table and I respect you for that, but I wouldn't mind bringing some counter arguments, myself. How is it fair to just say (or at least imply) that the PlayStation 2/GameCube Era for SpongeBob is weak because of a bad debut while Sonic was struggling with quality throughout the middleway point of his era?

While Revenge Of The Flying Dutchman is a downright mediocre beta of Battle For Bikini Bottom, I wouldn't say Sonic's track record on the GameCube and Dreamcast was perfect, either.
for example, the ending and some of the middle half of the Dreamcast/Gamecube era did NOT fare well for Sonic and the reviews prove it.

Let's start with Sonic Shuffle: The reviews for the game were less than perfect. Criticized for its general gameplay issues, loading times, the mediocre amount of mini-games and just being an unoriginal Mario Party imitator, the game received a lot of mixed and negative reviews. Sonic Shuffle Reviews.PNGSonic Shuffle MetaScore.PNG

Then we have the mediocrity that is: Shadow The Hedgehog. Criticized for its gameplay, story, controls (these controls aren't touching Sonic Adventure 1's with a ten foot pole), level design and some of the visuals and music, it got mixed and negative reviews across the board and its considered by many to be the start of the Dark Age Of Sonic.
Not to mention this game got on average, the same, if not, worse scores than RoTFD.
ShadowTH Review screenshots.PNGSTH Review Snip.PNGSTH PS2 Reviews.PNGSTH Xbox Review.PNGSTH GameCube Review.PNG

And now we have the Sonic Gems Collection. Considered by most to be a mediocre compilation of some Sonic's more obscure (and middling) adventures, the collection was criticized for its unbalanced and unfocused quality (i,e having some of the more mediocre to bad games from earlier in the series in this collection), emulation issues with the Game Gear games and not feeling complete to some of the reviewers.Sonic Gems Collection Reviews.PNGSGC Review Snip.PNG

So its even.

KarateSponge

Parawhore
NTMRAD said:
You've brought some good points to the table and I respect you for that, but I wouldn't mind bringing some counter arguments, myself. How is it fair to just say (or at least imply) that the PlayStation 2/GameCube Era for SpongeBob is weak because of a bad debut while Sonic was struggling with quality throughout the middleway point of his era?

While Revenge Of The Flying Dutchman is a downright mediocre beta of Battle For Bikini Bottom, I wouldn't say Sonic's track record on the GameCube and Dreamcast was perfect, either.
for example, the ending and some of the middle half of the Dreamcast/Gamecube era did NOT fare well for Sonic and the reviews prove it.

Let's start with Sonic Shuffle: The reviews for the game were less than perfect. Criticized for its general gameplay issues, loading times, the mediocre amount of mini-games and just being an unoriginal Mario Party imitator, the game received a lot of mixed and negative reviews.
attachicon.gif
Sonic Shuffle Reviews.PNG
attachicon.gif
Sonic Shuffle MetaScore.PNG

Then we have the mediocrity that is: Shadow The Hedgehog. Criticized for its gameplay, story, controls (these controls aren't touching Sonic Adventure 1's with a ten foot pole), level design and some of the visuals and music, it got mixed and negative reviews across the board and its considered by many to be the start of the Dark Age Of Sonic.
Not to mention this game got on average, the same, if not, worse scores than RoTFD.
attachicon.gif
ShadowTH Review screenshots.PNG
attachicon.gif
STH Review Snip.PNG
attachicon.gif
STH PS2 Reviews.PNG
attachicon.gif
STH Xbox Review.PNG
attachicon.gif
STH GameCube Review.PNG

And now we have the Sonic Gems Collection. Considered by most to be a mediocre compilation of some Sonic's more obscure (and middling) adventures, the collection was criticized for its unbalanced and unfocused quality (i,e having some of the more mediocre to bad games from earlier in the series in this collection), emulation issues with the Game Gear games and not feeling complete to some of the reviewers.
attachicon.gif
Sonic Gems Collection Reviews.PNG
attachicon.gif
SGC Review Snip.PNG

So its even.
I do agree, Sonic's track record since his Dreamcast days haven't been great, and downright embarrassing considering the two good games were both throwbacks to the original 2d Sonic. But Spongebob started off worse, wasn't too bad during the end of the PS2 days, and Sonic looked much worse, but considered to today? (if i need to review the other spongebob games just ask if i need to) Spongebob has stopped with the unholy abomination of Spongebob Heropants, the worst Spongebob game by far. Before that, was Robotic Revenge. How could Nick ruin their main show's video game line so badly? Sega, on the other hand, since 2013 hasn't been too great either (Rise of Lyric was worse than Heropants by far) but considering 2015 and beyond? Sega found help and released 2two Sonic games last year. Sonic Mania, technically the greatest fan made game ever made, and Sonic Forces, not great, but much better than Rise of Lyric. I'd personally think Sonic at this point is getting much more positive views nowadays then Spongebob video games.

Also I like how you skipped the like the 2 good games during that era.

I also forgot, during 2006-2013, Sonic was a mess, '06, Rings, and Unleashed were bad games. And Underpants Slam? You weren't here last year in like March-April, but oh my god PistonPatrick wanted anything related to Underpants Slam.

But the actual game? Eh, I'd rather play it than the Sonic games, but not much better. Plus, this is when the flash games for Spongebob took over, and there weren't too many games released. Excluding the Nicktoons games we also got Atlantis Squarepantis. A horrifically bad game, no comment, just look it up.

Boating Bash is racing, and though I do like racing games, I won't speak about this one, probably another Mario Kart clone. Any rating for Spongebob on this era will not have this game in mind for me.

Truth or Square was average, or ok.

I will willingly give Spongebob the advantage for this era from 2006-2012, but from 2013-present? Sonic.

Also Battle for Volcano Island on ds was a great game don't deny it

Back