When did Season 1 become "old"

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Season 1 has been considered old for as long as I can remember. What's funny as at the time of Season 5, season 1 was considered old. Yet, here we are now, Season 9a is 7 years old, and it still feels modern. Maybe it has to do with the cel animation. Anyone know when season 1 started to become old.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
It's probably the cel animation.

At the time of season 6, I remember seeing Season 2 & 3 as "old", the episodes were 5 or 6 years old at the same time. But today, a Season 9 episode would be five or six years old, and they still feel like modern SpongeBob. In 2009, and episode like "Salior Mouth" or "Procrastination" would be old, but today, an episode like "SpongeBob You're Fired" or "Kenny the Cat" would still be seen as modern.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Everything's "old" to some kids. I once pulled out a Nintendo DS in front of a kid back in early 2012 and his first response was, "That's old!". True story.

Personally, I don't consider Season 1 that old despite not being that old myself. When we get back into cartoons from the 70s and 80s, that's when I start thinking old.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
I considered season 1 old when season 2 episodes were still coming out. It was definitely the cel animation, i didn't even know what a "season" was at that time so I just considered those episodes the "old episodes" because they looked old to me.

Cykamp

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
i mean, it’s 20 years old now isn’t it? joking aside for me season 8 was when season 1 became old.

otherwise, season 9 feels modern probably because of the HD quality.

Back