What's the limit of how much a disc can be sratched before its unplayable?

Growlie

Best Boy
Because I bought one used, that was supposed to be in "Very" good condition but, the disc was sratched up! However It baffled me that it played without a single hiccup! I have other cds that are just as sratched as this one but they can't be played! So tell me how a sratched disc can play without problems while others can't!

KarateSponge

Parawhore
depends on who made it/what kind it is. Plus, most cds/dvds only play so much of the disc (most of the time usually half) so the disc is usually safe. Cracks around the rim do break it though, seeing as how that (with the cover side) is important data that if messed up will ruin the disc.

Growlie

Best Boy
depends on who made it/what kind it is. Plus, most cds/dvds only play so much of the disc (most of the time usually half) so the disc is usually safe. Cracks around the rim do break it though, seeing as how that (with the cover side) is important data that if messed up will ruin the disc.
Is the rim like the part of the disc you hold to avoid fingerprints?

KarateSponge

Parawhore
Growlie said:
Oh! So thats the vulnerable part of the disc.
the most vulnerable, but making sure the disc doesn't get scratched up at all or damaged is pretty much what you need to do. if needed, just go to a library for a disc cleaner or buy a disc cleaner.

Growlie

Best Boy
They have something that'll resurface your sratched disc at home, but I've never tried it.

It depends on how deep the scratch is as opposed to how many scratches. A ton of light scuffs can be of no harm, but one deep scratch can kill off the entire usability of the disc. If it appears to be small and light, you most likely won't have problems. Hence most likely why that disc played fine, since the scratches were minor.

So to answer your question: there is no definite number. Just in general, be careful with your discs.

To get rid of scratches, use toothpaste. The urban legends are true, it really does work. (The discs will look even more scratched than before but they play much better. I can't quite explain why this is, but it is.)

Growlie

Best Boy
It depends on how deep the scratch is as opposed to how many scratches. A ton of light scuffs can be of no harm, but one deep scratch can kill off the entire usability of the disc. If it appears to be small and light, you most likely won't have problems. Hence most likely why that disc played fine, since the scratches were minor.

So to answer your question: there is no definite number. Just in general, be careful with your discs.

To get rid of scratches, use toothpaste. The urban legends are true, it really does work. (The discs will look even more scratched than before but they play much better. I can't quite explain why this is, but it is.)
What other remedies do you got?

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I just remembered that I had a CD for a game 8 years ago and I got it from a Nesquik cereal box. After having that CD for a few years, it got scratched a few times and it didn't work for me anymore. So maybe 3-4 times at maximum. It could be even less depending on the CD.

crushingmayhem

Krabby Patty Burglar
I have a game with several scratches and it still works. Granted, i've noticed that it gives me an error whenever I search one of the menus but the rest works fine.

Back