What was the first gross close-up in the show?

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
Now Ren & Stimpy in the '90s used a LOT of gross close-ups; surprisingly Rocko's Modern Life didn't, and that's where Hillenburg worked before SpongeBob. So it wouldn't be surprising that SpongeBob didn't use a lot of these close-ups in its early days.

The earliest thing I can think of is in "Scaredy Pants" when we first see the Flying Bowser Dutchman, and they show a shot of his teeth and the saliva forms a scary face, but that was regularly cel animated and not detailed like the gross close-ups we're accustomed to. I know they kinda used a detailed shot in the "FIRMLY GRASP IT" scene from "Jellyfishing" when we see Patrick has jammed the net right through Squidward's bandages, but that wasn't gross in the slightest. (And besides, they also detailed the hot sauce bottle in the Volcano Sauce Drop scene in "Karate Choppers.")

I'd like to say it was Caveman Patrick's teeth in "SB-129," but I could be wrong. After that, I don't really remember anything until Squidward's Krabby Patty and the Nasty Patty, which were both from season 3.

Back