The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie What supposedly led to the creation of the first movie

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
According to a commenter on Change.org Stephen Hillenburg initially did not want to produce a SpongeBob movie until he saw the movie "The Iron Giant" with his son which convinced him to make The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

Now IDK where this person got their sources from (my guess is the documentary "Square Roots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants") but it seems legit since The Iron Giant was about character attachment which the 2004 SBSP film has in SPADES

I believe perhaps Hillenburg didn't like how quickly his show was getting popular and was fatigued from SpongeBob altogether

What do you think?

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
The Iron Giant is excellent. It's one of the few films that continues to make me reconsider my career path (i.e., change to become an animator / filmmaker). It's up there with Casablanca, in my book, with it's timeless themes and unforgettable characters.

It's no secret that none of the SpongeBob films, not even the first one, can hold a candle to it.

But kudos to Stephen Hillenburg for having wonderful taste and being a stand-up father.

ilove1994

Floating Shopping List
Never heard that before but The Iron Giant is a classic.

Back