What reception would the show have if it started with Season 4 (and certain introductory eps)

ataeaf

Outdated meme I know
I’ve asked this question before, and a lot of people noted that by leaving out the pre-movie seasons, a lot of important introductory eps are left out. So, how would the show be received today if the show had just these eps:

Help Wanted (introduces many things, including the Krusty Krab and most main characters)
Tea at the Treedome (introduces Sandy and her treedome)
Ripped Pants (introduces the Goo Lagoon and Larry the Lobster)
Jellyfishing
Plankton!
Boating School
Home Sweet Pineapple (introduces SpongeBob’s parents)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy
The Chaperone (introduces Pearl Krabs)
Karate Choppers (introduces karate)

(and maybe more I’m missing)

... and ALL of Season 4.

Would the show have lasted into later seasons?

And for argument’s sake we’re pretending the Season 1 eps are digitally animated.

And Season 4’s MM+BB ep is now just Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy: The Motion Picture.

Klu

Moby Dollar
I think show wouldn't be AS popular, but I think overall quality of season 4 would be higher, if we taking to account that most of the original staff is here.

Klu said:
I think show wouldn't be AS popular, but I think overall quality of season 4 would be higher, if we taking to account that most of the original staff is here.
And even without that, we can forgive some not-so-good episodes from season 4, if it was the first one, because, well, it's the first season and show haven't found it's footing yet.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Quite frankly, I don't think there'd be a difference - today, we'd consider Season 4 to probably be not as great as the previous seasons (not my own thoughts, though), but if the material from Season 4 was what the show started with, then the nostalgia would be played out in its favor as there's nothing before it to base its quality on.

It would probably also make Seasons 5-7 look a little better compared to how they're generally viewed now.

SpongeBob is still seen as iconic despite what people think of the later seasons, and while that can be attributed to the first three seasons, if the show was to theoretically have started with episodes from Season 4, then I don't see why it wouldn't be able to be as iconic.

CJO5050

Floating Shopping List
I honestly don't think it would have been held in the same regard as it is now.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
It probably wouldn’t have been loved as much. I mean some of the most loved episodes aren’t in that list. It also possibly wouldn’t be Nickelodeon’s cash cow.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I’m sure it would’ve only gone to what we know as Season 5 or 6. Without a SpongeBob before S4 to ride off, this would be just another case of a NickToon shelved before the network could figure out why it wasn’t good enough.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Yeah. If the show started with Season 4, I imagine it'd be a quaint little show people would back at fondly (Kind of like Catscratch). If it premiered with the selected Season 1 episodes, followed by Season 4, it'd probably be decently successful, but probably wouldn't last more than 3 Seasons. Season 5 would be relatively the same (Minus Atlantis SquarePantis, since Nick wouldn't have forced the ratings trap onto the series since it wouldn't be that popular). I imagine Season 6 would be the last Season, but it wouldn't be nearly as atrocious as it is in it's final state, since the network wouldn't have ordered so many episodes for a Season of a show that wouldn't be that popular. This would mean more unnecessary episodes that felt like they were just included to fill in space like Slide Whistle Stooges and Dear Vikings probably wouldn't even make it as episodes. It's first two Seasons would be looked back upon with great nostalgia among fans, while the final season would be considered a mix bag, though not that bad.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
It'd have a similar legacy to Catscratch and El Tigre. It'd be forgettable in the long run but would have a cult fanbase that'd consider it one of the better late nicktoons.

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I would still like it since I actually liked Season 4. The more I've watched it, the more I've become positive towards the season. However, it may not be as appreciated as it was back then. If it started with Season 6 & 7 episodes, then it might receive low ratings, to the point that it will be cancelled. No hate towards these seasons, but I think other people will view this way. Others will probbly view it differently, I don't know.

Back