What is the first truly bad episode?

DietShampoo

Imitation Krab
I distinctly remember Good Neighbors when it aired. That's when I noticed something was seriously wrong with this show. By the time I saw Funny Pants, I knew it was over. This didn't feel like the same show I knew and loved.

Last edited:

Sailor Haumea

Baby Clam
When I rewatched The Paper a few months ago, I was struck by how...generic it is. There's multiple eps that follow the basic plotline of "Squidward sees Patrick and/or SpongeBob having fun with something innocuous and becoming obsessed with it", like The Idiot Box, but this is an example of it not being done well. It's not a terrible episode, but it's definitely mediocre.

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I feel like the first episode to be even remotely bad imo is Dumped. Just kinda lacking in comedy and a bit more focused on drama. I don't think it's handled the best. The episode has a bit of a negative feeling to it too. And the cookie ending is a bit of a stretch.

SpongeVol93

Floating Shopping List
I never liked I Was a Teenage Gary. That's probably the only pre-movie episode I dislike. Squidward's treatment of Gary was bad and SpongeBob turning into a snail was disturbing and creepy (which was probably the point). That's honestly one of my pet peeves with SpongeBob, when episodes end like that without everything returning to normal. How did SpongeBob and Squidward return to their normal selves? I know the show doesn't really have continuity but it still kind of annoys me. I think All That Glitters is one of the all time worst though, even worse than that one. Half of the episode is SB crying, and the other half is him naked after selling all his possessions. Really strange episode. And since when was his spatula sentient? Just one of those ideas that felt like it should have never made it to production.

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
122 Conch Street, Bikini Bottom (or the USA)
To be honest, there is progress with each terrible episode SpongeBob has...

Season 2 would be the first season to have not so good episodes like I'm With Stupid and Jellyfish Hunter (the first to show the extremely greedy nature of Mr.Krabs).

Season 3 would be the start of the not so good episodes being more common, particularly with Party Pooper Pants, Krabby Land (another episode that has flanderized Mr.Krabs), and The Great Snail Race.

I should also note that Mr.Krabs and SpongeBob had gotten flanderized, with SpongeBob becoming more of a strict perfectionist and Mr.Krabs (which I already pointed out) becoming more greedy and particularly caring about making profit even if it's unethical (although SpongeBob would end up going through another flanderization in Season 4, Mr.Krabs character would ultimate stick with this flanderized version from FotK on ward).

Speaking of Season 4, Good Neighbors would ultimately be a preview of what SpongeBob as a show will be, as Squidward ultimate gets tortured/annoyed by the new flanderized incarnation of Spongebob as well as the new flanderized Patrick (similar to his characterization in I'm With Stupid). While in my opinion this episode isn't as bad as the Squidward Torture Episodes of Season 6 to 9a, it isn't really good either (in my opinion, Good Neighbors is okay).

However though, there's an episode worse than Good Neighbors (in my opinion), that episode being All That Glitters which ultimately made SpongeBob into an annoying crying pile of tears.

But let's move on to Season 5, that season doesn't really have any major character changes from my point of view, maybe SpongeBob because of Waiting (aka part of the 83 trilogy) and Breath of fresh Squidward.

But then Season 6 rolled around...

Yeah, the only one(s) who was remotely the same from start/debut was Plankton and Squidward (but then Little Yellow Book flanderized him and that's kinda been a back and forth since).

I hoped that you guys enjoyed my analysis on the bad episodes and how that affected the characters...

-Squidward1999 :squidhappy:

SpongeVol93

Floating Shopping List
To be honest, there is progress with each terrible episode SpongeBob has...

Season 2 would be the first season to have not so good episodes like I'm With Stupid and Jellyfish Hunter (the first to show the extremely greedy nature of Mr.Krabs).

Season 3 would be the start of the not so good episodes being more common, particularly with Party Pooper Pants, Krabby Land (another episode that has flanderized Mr.Krabs), and The Great Snail Race.

I should also note that Mr.Krabs and SpongeBob had gotten flanderized, with SpongeBob becoming more of a strict perfectionist and Mr.Krabs (which I already pointed out) becoming more greedy and particularly caring about making profit even if it's unethical (although SpongeBob would end up going through another flanderization in Season 4, Mr.Krabs character would ultimate stick with this flanderized version from FotK on ward).

Speaking of Season 4, Good Neighbors would ultimately be a preview of what SpongeBob as a show will be, as Squidward ultimate gets tortured/annoyed by the new flanderized incarnation of Spongebob as well as the new flanderized Patrick (similar to his characterization in I'm With Stupid). While in my opinion this episode isn't as bad as the Squidward Torture Episodes of Season 6 to 9a, it isn't really good either (in my opinion, Good Neighbors is okay).

However though, there's an episode worse than Good Neighbors (in my opinion), that episode being All That Glitters which ultimately made SpongeBob into an annoying crying pile of tears.

But let's move on to Season 5, that season doesn't really have any major character changes from my point of view, maybe SpongeBob because of Waiting (aka part of the 83 trilogy) and Breath of fresh Squidward.

But then Season 6 rolled around...

Yeah, the only one(s) who was remotely the same from start/debut was Plankton and Squidward (but then Little Yellow Book flanderized him and that's kinda been a back and forth since).

I hoped that you guys enjoyed my analysis on the bad episodes and how that affected the characters...

-Squidward1999 :squidhappy:
That's an awesome summary of how the characters have changed over the seasons. I remember at the time it was airing some saw Season 3 as the beginning of a dip in quality, with Krabs and Patrick's flanderization being big reasons for that. I love season 3 but some of it has benefitted from the nostalgia factor.

Also Sandy went from being all about extreme sports and being a tough Texan to being all about science, which wasn't really part of her character in the first 3 seasons. Sandy's Rocket is really the only pre-movie episode that explores that side of her.

Then there's Mrs. Puff, who tried to get SpongeBob killed in Demolition Doofus. That was a low point that caused me to take a break from SpongeBob completely.

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
That's an awesome summary of how the characters have changed over the seasons. I remember at the time it was airing some saw Season 3 as the beginning of a dip in quality, with Krabs and Patrick's flanderization being big reasons for that. I love season 3 but some of it has benefitted from the nostalgia factor.

Also Sandy went from being all about extreme sports and being a tough Texan to being all about science, which wasn't really part of her character in the first 3 seasons. Sandy's Rocket is really the only pre-movie episode that explores that side of her.

Then there's Mrs. Puff, who tried to get SpongeBob killed in Demolition Doofus. That was a low point that caused me to take a break from SpongeBob completely.
Bold: Patrick and Krabs were starting to get flanderized from season 2 you clearly forgot about episodes like Grandma’s Kisses I’m With Stupid Dumped Jellyfish Hunter also don’t be so ignorant and just say season 3 benefitted from nostalgia factor

Back