What if SpongeBob had a story arc?

KrustyKrab

Part Computer or Something
A lot of cartoons nowadays have some kind of a story arc that either covers each season or the entire series. Which leads me to wonder what if SpongeBob had started off with a story arc? What kind of an arc do you think it would have?

I mean it depends. Some shows can do excellent story arcs, some just can't.

If SB did this now, it'd suck cuz the show is so used to being episodic with non-continuty.

If it did at the begining, idk.

Whisper

let me show you how its done
Staff
i can't see spongebob ever having a story arc, even if they did it in the beginning of the series it wouldve been a bit strange. also, the better question is: what kind of story arc would spongebob have?

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
The show is fast-paced, quickly delivering jokes and visuals to the audience. If there was an underlying story then I guess it could work, but an actual in-your-face story arc? Eh...

Smaher

Moby Dollar
If there was a story arch, then it'd be better to have episodes that can be standalone, but still connect to eachother somehow. Each episode doesn't need a "to be continued" to exist.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Two or three parters like in The Fairly Oddparents would work a lot better in the show like SpongeBob.
Though, many new episodes like to reference previous ones, so some kind of continuty SpongeBob has... But a very strange one.

What plot would apply to the show to give it a story arc? Would it deal with the Krusty Krab, karate, etc. Either way, keeping up with continuity would be very difficult and result in lower ratings because you have to keep up with every episode.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
It would have to be a mini-series or something telling it's own little story separate from the rest of the show. That's all I can see that would make sense, otherwise I'd just say no.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I've noticed a trend in Season 10 has been Carolyn Lawrence voicing "Crybaby"-type children, in Krusty Katering, Lost and Found and Out of the Picture. Though I don't like this new background character for various reasons (a) he's annoying, b) he's annoying and c) he's annoying), I'm kind of expecting them to do more with him outside of being an obstacle or a nuisance.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
not every show needs a story arc what happened to cartoons that exist just to defy the laws of physics

GalacticHeaven

Floating Shopping List
something in me tells me that it just would not work. Since the continuity sucks, i guess a story arc would just make it worse. I can imagine
them adding more "facts" about the spongebob universe and we would be like "wait that wasn't there in season 1 or 2..or 3" and so on and we would complain...that's how i see it

I don't think the writers could do it justice. Maybe earlier in the series, but we're at seasons 10 and 11 now. The writers are pretty much completely used to making the show episodic, so making a serial group of episodes this late in the show's run wouldn't work too well.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
it could easily work. Everyone saying it couldn't in this thread obviously doesn't remember their pseudo-attempt at this a couple seasons ago with Legends and Runaway Roadtrip (the latter of which actually turned out rather well). It wasn't a full embrace of continuity, but was definitely taking a shot at it.

The show's unique effort to actively avoid continuity makes it stand out in an era where animated shows like Gravity Falls and Star are being built on it. There was a time long ago (when this show wasn't that great) that I hoped and prayed this show would do an arc or just embrace continuity and stop being a relic from 1999. I've given up on that dream, and have settled for the plethora of small references to older episodes, which are fine, I guess. You can't win them all.

To everyone saying this wouldn't work, though, Adventure Time started out as an episodic comedy with very little continuity, and look where it is now. It's completely possible.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Honestly, they've loved throwing continuity based easter eggs here and there, if it was allowed I wouldn't see why not when it'd basically be an extended TV movie. Concepts like Food Con alone could've been made into a 30-60 minute special, I believe there are enough concepts to do a small arc in. The length of the arc itself is what interests me, as it'd be the longest continual thing in the show's history, and would be forever. Could it hold up forever in SB's style when they actually try to have continuity? I dunno, but I wouldn't blame creative individuals with degrees for trying something like that on a show like this or if Nick ordered one so it could advertise the heck out of a new marathon or premiere week

Back