Were any computers used at all in season 1

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
We're all aware of the fact that season 1 is the only season of the show to be cel animated. But, was the editing done manually or electronically. Did they use flatbeds to sync the video with the audio. Did they physically cut the film strip in order to paste together certain scene. Did they use optical illusions to create video transitions such as fading? I think computers were used ever so often, it was 1999, so they had have to had use computers for something.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I'm certain they used computers for editing and perhaps even compositing. 1999 might seem like the dark ages to some of you [psst... they weren't] but they were editing films digitally as far back as the 80s.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
this little snippet was most likely done digitally, and there's cg in the sb 129 title card, and there are definitely moments that clearly had a computer involved. Either way most shows by that time used computers, even if they weren't being used for the animation itself.

Attachments

• sb.PNG
    sb.PNG
    541.1 KB · Views: 1

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Spongebob came out years following the advent of the WWW (internet), and long before that, digital effects were finding their way into media. There's also this scene from Neptune's Spatula...

Neptune's Spatula.png

Someone tell me a computer was not used to Photoshop that in, come on. :D

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
i believe that computers were used to edit the live-action sequences and the intro together, considering the intro has green screens on the sponge who could fly assets, and i wont doubt the same for the live-action sequences. The bubblewipe had to be edited in using computers as well because looking at the HD season 1 rips, it looks very digital compared to the rest of the animation. Early credits (or the wave credits) were edited in computers because the wave effect was also green screened. Etc.

Also, it is quite possible that the show was edited on tape, but i HIGHLY doubt this because the remaster for Season One looks like it wasn't edited on tape, while, the Garfield and Friends remastered intro had to be completely redone because it was, edited on tape. Also pretty sure they haven't cut film for editing in decades, they for sure didn't do that in the 90s because they had computers to edit the final film.

Keep in mind Ren & Stimpy did digital animation by 1992 folks, so this was possible in 1999!

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
They probably used something like this, the Apple iMac G3:
main-qimg-a538dcfcdaf65c79cd348456791f72f1

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
They probably used something like this, the Apple iMac G3:
main-qimg-a538dcfcdaf65c79cd348456791f72f1
I highly doubt it. If they used Macs at all, it most assuredly would have been a PowerMac G4 like the one in my post above. Perhaps even more likely would have been specialty software/hardware such as Avid (Nickelodeon could afford to plunk down the big bucks for this).

Something to ask the animators/editors from '99-'01, I suppose. ;)

Back