Was the End of Season 3 Kind of Mediocre?

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
LARRY22 said:
I really enjoyed the first half of Season 3, but the second half is where it all started to go downhill in my opinion. Most say it went started going downhill in Seasons 4 or 5 (Pretty okay Seasons IMO), but I think that the latter half of Season 3 was showing signs of the crew "losing steam" so to speak. This will be a long entry.

This half of Season 3 also established overly-greedy Mr. Krabs in Born Again Krabs, and Krabby Land (A very late season 3 episode). Did we get greedy Mr. Krabs before those episodes? Oh yes, especially Jellyfish Hunter, but that episode made it very clear he was meant to be the antgonist, unlike those two episodes. SpongeBob also had the tendency to be a jerk, either because his pet snail did not want to compete in a race (The Great Snail Race), or because people aren't following his lame party rules (Party Pooper Pants). He also acts pretty dumb in general in the latter half of S3, sure there are episodes that he acts somewhat intellegent in, but still. Patrick didn't get too much of a downgrade thankfully, the worst he does is spary SpongeBob with Invisible Spray and pretty much haunt Bikini Bottom along with SpongeBob in Pranks a Lot, the very last Season 3 episode, and the last pre-first movie episode. One last issue, the 2nd half feels... off. IDK, eveything from the animation, to the general feeling, it's off. You could definitely tell they were making a switch to Season 4.

I do think Season 3 of SpongeBob is really good overall, but I could live without most of the epiosdes in the second half of the season.
How was the animation off, the only episode that had "off" animation was The Sponge That Could Fly, it looked like a weird season four prototype. All the other episodes were animated with the normal Season 2-3 digital ink and paint animation.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
How was the animation off, the only episode that had "off" animation was The Sponge That Could Fly, it looked like a weird season four prototype. All the other episodes were animated with the normal Season 2-3 digital ink and paint animation.

Sorry, I meant the last few episodes, not the whole second half. Now that I think about it, The Sponge Who Could Fly's animation stands out from the rest.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
LARRY22 said:
I really enjoyed the first half of Season 3, but the second half is where it all started to go downhill in my opinion. Most say it went started going downhill in Seasons 4 or 5 (Pretty okay Seasons IMO), but I think that the latter half of Season 3 was showing signs of the crew "losing steam" so to speak. This will be a long entry.

This half of Season 3 also established overly-greedy Mr. Krabs in Born Again Krabs, and Krabby Land (A very late season 3 episode). Did we get greedy Mr. Krabs before those episodes? Oh yes, especially Jellyfish Hunter, but that episode made it very clear he was meant to be the antgonist, unlike those two episodes. SpongeBob also had the tendency to be a jerk, either because his pet snail did not want to compete in a race (The Great Snail Race), or because people aren't following his lame party rules (Party Pooper Pants). He also acts pretty dumb in general in the latter half of S3, sure there are episodes that he acts somewhat intellegent in, but still. Patrick didn't get too much of a downgrade thankfully, the worst he does is spary SpongeBob with Invisible Spray and pretty much haunt Bikini Bottom along with SpongeBob in Pranks a Lot, the very last Season 3 episode, and the last pre-first movie episode. One last issue, the 2nd half feels... off. IDK, eveything from the animation, to the general feeling, it's off. You could definitely tell they were making a switch to Season 4.

I do think Season 3 of SpongeBob is really good overall, but I could live without most of the epiosdes in the second half of the season.
I kind of see where you're coming from, but I do not think it is anywhere near Season 4. First and foremost, I don't really like Born Again Krabs, and I for sure don't like Krabby Land, but Born Again Krabs kind of severed as a bookend to Mr. Krabs being cheap (of course Krabby Land just has no excuse, that's why I hate that one) Krabs dealt with life or death in that episode, and though I thought it was mediocre at best, it did end it off nicely. As for SpongeBob, those two episodes are the only ones he acts like a jerk in (PPP and TGSR), and he does learn his lesson in TGSR, and was punished in PPP, though I don't excuse what he did in ether, but those are the only two episodes he's a real jerk in.

I think the intelligent episodes cancel out the stupid episodes. I liked his character in I Had an Accident, Born Again Krabs, and even Krabby Land. His more idiotic times do have their merit (such as the Strangler and Pranks A Lot, as the former is a villain and I think it's really funny, and the second is cheap fun that did get punished). I think him being mindless is part of his character, so I don't see it.

As for Patrick, what he did in Pranks A Lot wasn't that bad, and I think it's similar to how he acted in Life of Crime with the chocolate, I believe it also fits his character. I don't really see this as preview to Season 4. I think 3B is about the same quality as Season 1A, not too special, but still nice. It feels right at home in season 3 for the reasons I mentioned, in my opinion at least.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
The second half of Season 3 isn’t bad, but I will say that there are episodes in that back half that serve as the blueprint to every bad episode that followed the movie.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Aw, come on. The latter half of season 3 was great. I mean, it's not as good as the perfection that the the first half, but it is miles above some of the post-movie seasons. *cough* season 6 and 7 *cough*

Pupperton

Imitation Krab
"Ugh" is legitimately one of my favorite episodes of Spongebob. It was experimental, had great live-action segments, and does great things with nonverbal humor. I remember being a big fan of the background music there, too.

I don't have much to say about the other ones besides that I don't recall disliking any of them. In my opinion, season 1 is where most of the mediocre episodes in early Spongebob reside, with seasons 2 and 3 having some of the show's best creative output. A lot of season 1 is just paced differently, in a way that doesn't really click with me.

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
Nah the end of season 3 had episodes like Camping Episode Spongebob Meets The Strangler I Had An Accident Plankton’s Army Missing Identity Pranks A Lot Mid Life Crustacean all those episodes were classics yeah there are some duds like Krabby Land The Great Snail Race Born Again Krabs the three specials but those don’t affect the overall quality of the season

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I think the second half of season 3 is great. I do not hate any episode of S3b.
There are many great episodes, such as Clams, Chocolate With Nuts, Mid-Life Crustacean, The Camping Episode, Plankton's Army etc.
The first half of S3 might be better, but not that much for me.
I am one of the few who like the three specials in this season. Maybe this is why I like the second half so much.

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
Yeah I don't understand what's wrong with the second half of Season 3. People can just be too nitpickey sometimes.
There were some not so good episodes like Krabby Land Born Again Krabs The Great Snail Race and the three specials but the other episodes were awesome
Yeah I don't understand what's wrong with the second half of Season 3. People can just be too nitpickey sometimes.

Back