Visual Artifacts Found in SpongeBob

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I noticed that "Sponge Who Could Fly" looks like a Season 3/4 hybrid (same for The Lost Mattress) in terms of animation, as the colors are more brighter. same with late Season 3, brighter than earlier episodes. always wondered that.

I used to think that the Lost Matress was a pre-movie episode when I was little. SpongeBob's voice was the only thing that gave away the fact that it was a season 4 episode. I always thought the Sponge Who Could Fly looked suspiciously like season four. I think it may have actually been the last episode to be produced before the movie. As for Pranks A Lot, it's obviously season 3, because it's a markerbob episode. And we don't have markerbob outside of season 2/3. Because the staff switched the digital ink and paint software from Toonz Premium to Toon Boom in season 4.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Actually the recent season does like that again

View attachment 11296
Notice the purple coral rocks and the details.
View attachment 11297

It's boring how because of modern digital ink and paint software, every episode has the same line thickness. It's not fun how it was back in season 2-3 when some episodes had normal outlines, while others were markerbob

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
Idk if its just me, but Spongebob's smile now is more wonky and crooked, just like how some Season 1 Spongebob's smiles were. Its great to see it.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Can someone explain “markerbob” in more depth?
Who coined the term and when?

I coined the term "markerbob". A "markerbob" episode is what a nickname episodes in seasons 2-3, that are animated using bold outlines.

Here's a what a markerbob episode looks like:

Notice how Spongebob's lip and cheeks look like they were drawn with a sharpie. Also notice the geometric nature of the artwork

Here's what a normal episode looks like:
11468 11470

Notice how all the outlines are the same thinkness and are thin. Notice how the outlines are more loose and freely drawn.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Season 2 Markerbob episodes:
Bossy Boots
Big Pink Loser
Imitation Krabs
Life of Crime
Dumped
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic
Pressure
Shanghaied
Welcome to the Chumbucket
I'm With Stupid
The Fry Cook Games
SpongeBob, Sandy, and the Worm

Season 3 Markerbob episodes:
Spongeguard on Duty
My Pretty Seahorse
The Bully
Snowball Effect
One Krab's Trash
As Seen on TV
Can You Spare a Dime
Squilliam Returns
Wet Painters
Krusty Krab Training Video
New Stundent Starfish
Mid-Life Crustacean
Krabby Land
The Camping Episode
Missing Identity
Pranks a Lot

There are 28 markerbob episodes

Last edited:

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Season 2 Markerbob episodes:
Bossy Boots
Big Pink Loser
Imitation Krabs
Life of Crime
Dumped
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic
Pressure
Shanghaied
Welcome to the Chumbucket
I'm With Stupid
The Fry Cook Games
SpongeBob, Sandy, and the Worm

Season 3 Markerbob episodes:
Spongeguard on Duty
My Pretty Seahorse
The Bully
Snowball Effect
One Krab's Trash
As Seen on TV
Can You Spare a Dime
Squilliam Returns
Wet Painters
Krusty Krab Training Video
New Stundent Starfish
Mid-Life Crustacean
Krabby Land
The Camping Episode
Missing Identity
SpongeBob Meets the Strangler
Pranks a Lot

There are 29 markerbob episodes

I made a mistake SpongeBob Meets the Strangler is a Sean Dempsey episode, it's not a markerbob episode, making 28 markerbob episodes

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Very late response, but I think now, that the title cards are the only thing that can be recovered, as the crew has extremely high quality title cards for some Season 1 episodes, so I think that every episode has a specific file for the title cards, I would assume, since the title cards are pretty important for the show. For the digital seasons (Seasons 2-Present), I think they have files for character models used in the episodes, like for 'A SquarePants Family Vacation', there is an image (Used as a cover for this site as well) where the models are high quality, like extremely. I think they went back to the files and put them in the painting or something. As for Season 1, I would assume that when the cels were shot, they put them as files and stored them in high quality, but I'm not sure.

Back