Visual Artifacts Found in SpongeBob

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
In the markerbob episodes, Squidward eyelids are drawn without slits:

Compare this to normal season 2-3 animation:

Some episodes in season 1, squidward's eyelids have no slits, but that's excusable due to traditional cel animation, it would be too tedious to draw that with a ball point pen:

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Does anybody know if there are any season 1 episodes which have gotten only worse or not better with the HD rewamp?

spongebranch

Banished
Does anybody know if there are any season 1 episodes which have gotten only worse or not better with the HD rewamp?
Nature Pants/Opposite Day and Arrgh!/Rock Bottom which apparently show that Nickelodeon is still using RCA composite cables in the mid-late 2010's on a 1080P MASTER where international countries and even the USA companies' international distribution units veered away from using them in masters decades ago. (especially in the 90s.)
even worse when you know that those 2 exist without composite effects (extremely clean scans) in the international releases.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
View attachment 11040
The SpongeBob episode "The Secret Box/Band Geeks" had composite and oversaturation even in the early 2000's. This is from 2003.

I think I've figured out why season 2/early S3 have coloring issues. Nick probably had a problem transferring the animation files through through the telecine by using composite, as opposed to directly transferring episode from film reel like they did during season 1. By mid-season 3, they probably figured out a better way of transferring episodes, thus eliminating the VHS effect. I'm thinking that instead of connecting the computer to the telecline machine using composite, they probably added a broadcast feature built in the PC.

spongebranch

Banished
I find it hysterical how The Original Fry Cook has the dot crawl copy in this, but Squirrel Jokes has the fresh copy:

lots of issues here:
Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation with extremely bad aliasing
Born Again Krabs with almost unwatchable aliasing.
Prehibernation Week with extremely bad aliasing and composite
The Secret Box with extremely bad composite and overcontrast
Home Sweet Pineapple with it's audio being converted to NTSC from a PAL master (which is NTSC pitch with PAL speed)

ThatSkynyrdKid70

2 year club
Haven't been here in forever, and I come back to see that this topic is still going, which is really cool. lol
I recently acquired a DVD that came in Happy Meals in the UK with The Thing and Hocus Pocus, and whenever these two episodes air on TV (from my memory at least), they have a fair bit of dot crawl. But on this DVD they're completely clean aside from very a noticeable motion artifact that gets annoying very quickly, but that artifact may just be down to the fact that it's a PAL encoded DVD playing back on an NTSC laptop drive, but I don't know. lol

ci5pbol.png

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Wow I just realized I haven't been here in a very long while :P So far I have noticed that Dumped hasn't really been updated on iTunes, as well as a few other episodes, but overall on the Nickelodeon YouTube channel, the quality of (most of) the older episodes is much improved, which is a step in the right direction. One thing I still notice is that there is still a white alias around objects and characters, but it's not too distracting.

spongebranch

Banished
Anyone still watch the broadcast version of nick, are the episodes cleaned up
nope. Obviously never will because of the awful speedup Nickelodeon USA added (it's even faster than PAL/SECAM standards for god's sake) (Nicktoons still has them all at ol' 24FPS along with the minor scenes at the beginning and end that were trimmed off, same with Seasons 4-9)
Infact Nickelodeon does not deserve to have those amazing HD remasters aired on television because they'll just speed them up faster than 25fps and trim out minor scenes at the beginning and end for the sake of commercial profit.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
For those of you who purchase episodes on Youtube. Sailor Mouth is 100% clean on the Youtube prints, although Spongebob is still colored with a greenish tint:

Re-Hydrated Sponge

Moby Dollar

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Those screenshots made me remember how wobbly the outlines were in seasons 2-3. Ever since the switch to toon boom, the outlines are perfectly straight, making the episodes less fun to look at

Back