Visual Artifacts Found in SpongeBob

LARRY22

Giant Clam
If you don't want to buy the DVDs, you could record them from a stream.

Be warned though, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III has a less noticeable VHS effect in the PAL copy.

I promise this is my final question, but which is better, Amazon or Nick.com?

Niffy01

Part Computer or Something
Also, the uncut version of Just One Bite is only available with the VHS effect if I remember correctly.

RDSP

Banished
Klu said:
Two episodes from season four on DVDs have VHS quality through and through - Best Frenemies and Bummer Vacation and I always wondered why, because on TV those episodes looked perfectly normal if not better.
I also noticed this with All That Glitters, The Donut of Shame and A Flea in Her Dome. I always thought this was a porting issue but seeing the other replies, it might be from the episodes being converted from VHS to DVD.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Also, the uncut version of Just One Bite is only available with the VHS effect if I remember correctly.
Interesting. Are there any releases of every episode of the show that are PAL copies, AND also don't have coloring issues, especially in Season 2? If so where can they be found?

Original Raw and Uncut said:
Nick has highest the quality
Nick.com, the channel, or both?

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
LARRY22 said:
Interesting. Are there any releases of every episode of the show that are PAL copies, AND also don't have coloring issues, especially in Season 2? If so where can they be found?

Nick.com, the channel, or both?
The site, not the channel

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Did anyone notice that Survival of the Idiots/Dumped look faded on TV? Gary Takes a Bath kind of does too. What went wrong with those episodes?

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
LARRY22 said:
Did anyone notice that Survival of the Idiots/Dumped look faded on TV? Gary Takes a Bath kind of does too. What went wrong with those episodes?
The VHS tapes were probably damaged, since the episodes have been pale for as long as I can remember, and I've been watching Spongebob since 2004. The original studio prints were probably clean, but yeah, the faded picture makes these episodes look like they were filmed in 1991, not 2001.

ExtraAbsorbent

Moby Dollar
Original Raw and Uncut said:
Nick has highest the quality
No, Amazon has better quality than Nick.com. compared to amazon, nick has a wayyy lower bitrate for video & video. Amazon and Nick use the same masters on their website, aside from Season 1.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
ExtraAbsorbent said:
No, Amazon has better quality than Nick.com. compared to amazon, nick has a wayyy lower bitrate for video & video. Amazon and Nick use the same masters on their website, aside from Season 1.
Because season 1 used cel animation, thus it was the only season to be shot on film.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Where do Nick.com and Amazon get the SB rips?
I know this reply wasn't to me, but does this mean Amazon looks better than Nick.com, and the site doesn't use the HD masters for Season 1? I've been planning to use Nick.com as a source to help out the SB wiki images section ( At least when Xfinity is finally back on there as a TV provider :( ), since the site says they are in need of better quality images. Will Nick.com be a good source to help the SB Wiki images section?

LARRY22

Giant Clam
I still wonder why the VHS effect is very selective towards episodes from Season 2

I don't know? Can't the master tapes/VHS tapes be transfered elsewhere, to be repaired by professionals, so that the episodes will revert back to their original quality so they don't look so blurry and dirty on TV anymore? Or can VHS tapes/master tapes not be repaired? I hope they fix the tapes for SOTI/Dumped and IWS/Procrastination, or else, in future years and airings, the episodes will look so degraded that they will look black and white, lol :P

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Anyone remember seeing season two when it first aired, what did the episodes look like while the tapes were fresh. I kept hearing from a few members that spongebob was a brighter shade of yellow.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Yeah, I noticed that too. I also have PAL copies of a couple episodes.

uoo2dIj.jpg
6qWyN2Y.jpg

Where did you find that PAL copy?

I'm asking this because Bummer Vacation, Wigstruck, Best Frenimies, All That Glitters, and I think a few other S4 episodes look pale on DVD, and have the so-called "VHS effect" while evry other episode on their Season DVDs look fine.

This is how Bummer Vacation looks on the Season 4 DVD.

https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=qpj0XO1vtTXdyuN98EaszKB%2BTMe7KK6kK31asbiD1Jw%3D

Are there DVDs that have those 4 episodes looking normal?

Niffy01

Part Computer or Something
LARRY22 said:

I'm asking this because Bummer Vacation, Wigstruck, Best Frenimies, All That Glitters, and I think a few other S4 episodes look pale on DVD, and have the so-called "VHS effect" while evry other episode on their Season DVDs look fine.

https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=qpj0XO1vtTXdyuN98EaszKB%2BTMe7KK6kK31asbiD1Jw%3D

Bummer Vacation is available on the Whale of a Birthday DVD. Also, sorry for the late reply.

LARRY22 said:

I can rip the episode for you as I have the DVD, do you want me to?

Example: https://imgur.com/hJdZqG4

Back