Pinned thread Unpopular Opinions you Have on SpongeBob

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Honestly I think Little Yellow Book is a pretty good episode. I personally think Extreme Spots should be the third hated Season 9A episode, not Little Yellow Book.

SuperFan2024

Part Computer or Something
CherrySponge said:
I would say that the Ripped Pants song is the best in the show in terms of the melody, moral and music. Just a fantastic song and because it's the very first (or second) of the series, it's hard to forget. :)
Hmmm, i'd give that title to "Who Am I," but, we all have different opinions I guess.

And as for unpopular opinion, I would want Spongebob seasons 1-8 to be reanimated or to be remastered/re-rendered in HD like seasons 9 through present are. I still can't believe that seasons like 6,7, and 8, were still made in 4:3 at the time of the 2010s.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Ben Gruber gets too much flak. His season 10 episodes suck, but so do the other writers. At least Ben Gruber made 2 episodes that got above a 6/10 from me. The others only got 1 7/10 or above at best. People say his episodes are too fast paced, which is true. But Mr. Lawrence, Kaz, and Andrew Goodman episodes are just as wacky if not more so, examples include Whirly Brains, Code Yellow, Snooze You Lose, Life Insurance, Sportz, and The Getaway.

Ben Gruber's season 10 episodes aren't good. But he's the least-bad season 10 writer. He also didn't write Sportz which earns points.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Honest Canadian Cartoon said:
Ben Gruber gets too much flak. His season 10 episodes suck, but so do the other writers. At least Ben Gruber made 2 episodes that got above a 6/10 from me. The others only got 1 7/10 or above at best. People say his episodes are too fast paced, which is true. But Mr. Lawrence, Kaz, and Andrew Goodman episodes are just as wacky if not more so, examples include Whirly Brains, Code Yellow, Snooze You Lose, Life Insurance, Sportz, and The Getaway.

Ben Gruber's season 10 episodes aren't good. But he's the last-bad season 10 writer. He also didn't write Sportz which earns points.
Well, I hated Ben Gruber basically because of his work on TTG. After "Teacher's Pests" and "Larry the Floor-manager" I kinda warmed up to him.
So, I think he gets too much flak because of the cartoon he previously worked on. Even his infamous episodes like "Trident Trouble" not that bad in my opinion, after some rewatching.

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
When people say:
Oh, another episode with the SpongeBob and Squidward dynamic! How great to see these two teaming up again! We want more episodes like this! And Patrick is likeable again! Plankton and Mr. Krabs together! Also, Squidward and Plankton! Sandy with karate again! We want these back again!
and...
The SAME people say:
Oh, we've already seen the same thing from previous episodes! (when they talk about SpongeBob's Place, Krabby Patty Creature Feature, etc.) We need brand new and more creative ideas. We don't need the same plotline over and over! Come on writers, those are ripoffs from other episodes!

OK, I actually get the second part, because things can get really repetitive, boring, and forgettable, and I can actually pretty agree much with that, because we actually need some refreshment, but the first one, really? It annoys me a lot, eapecially the love for the SpongeBob/Squidward dynamic makes me angry way more than you think. I know the two don't get along very well, because of their different personalities, but that is also the same plotline again. This comparison is pretty much hypocritical, if you ask me. =/

Don't tell me those are rare plotlines, because the other ones are not always common either.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
When people say:
Oh, another episode with the SpongeBob and Squidward dynamic! How great to see these two teaming up again! We want more episodes like this! And Patrick is likeable again! Plankton and Mr. Krabs together! Also, Squidward and Plankton! Sandy with karate again! We want these back again!
and...
The SAME people say:
Oh, we've already seen the same thing from previous episodes! (when they talk about SpongeBob's Place, Krabby Patty Creature Feature, etc.) We need brand new and more creative ideas. We don't need the same plotline over and over! Come on writers, those are ripoffs from other episodes!
OK, I actually get the second part, because things can get really repetitive, boring, and forgettable, and I can actually pretty agree much with that, because we actually need some refreshment, but the first one, really? It annoys me a lot, eapecially the love for the SpongeBob/Squidward dynamic makes me angry way more than you think. I know the two don't get along very well, because of their different personalities, but that is also the same plotline again. This comparison is pretty much hypocritical, if you ask me. =/
Don't tell me those are rare plotlines, because the other ones are not always common either.

I think it's fine and not unoriginal if they do something original with that stuff.

Anyway:

Just One Bite > Chocolate with Nuts, KKTV, and Wet Painters

KKTV, Wet Painters, and The Camping Episode aren't in my top ten of Season 3. Those episodes are still amazing and extremely hilarious, but there's ten other episodes I find better than them (even more in Camping Episode's case)

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I think it's fine and not unoriginal if they do something original with that stuff.

What I mean is that they get tired of the other ones and not the ones I mentioned, especially with SpongeBob and Squidward. They always get excited for this and I don't think it's really that original anymore. That even happened back in Krab-Borg and all the people cared about that episode were the jokes/song and not so much about the dynamic. Take other episodes where they helped each other such as Dying for Pie, Can You Spare a Dime?, Skill Crane, Drive-Thru, Love That Squid, Christmas Who?, Pizza Delivery. They do care about those episodes (well, not really Drive-Thru and they only cared Squidward's ending in Love That Squid) In The Sewers of Bikini Bottom and The Checkup, there were more shocked and excited about them helping each other. It's not really that original to me. Squidward and Plankton had conversations in The Algae's Always Greener, Chum Fricassee, Sweet and Sour Squid. Mr. Krabs and Plankton in New Leaf (except for the ending), Friend or Foe?, Best Frenemies, Chum Caverns, The Other Patty, and I heard that Teacher's Pests also have that same thing. Now Patrick has been a debatable character, they loved him, then hate him, then love him again but he's not funny anymore, then he's annoying, etc.
I don't even know what my opinion is for the show anymore, because I keep losing interest lately.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
ElectricPikachu said:
When people say:
and...
The SAME people say:

This makes no sense. That's like saying Indiana Jones is a rip-off of Star Wars because Harrison Ford is in it. Just because SpongeBob and Squidward are used in more than one episode doesn't mean they're all the same. That's a lot different than stories being straight up rehashed.

This feels like you're really stretching to have a contrarian opinion.

ElectricPikachu said:
Take other episodes where they helped each other such as Dying for Pie, Can You Spare a Dime?, Skill Crane, Drive-Thru, Love That Squid, Christmas Who?, Pizza Delivery. They do care about those episodes (well, not really Drive-Thru and they only cared Squidward's ending in Love That Squid) In The Sewers of Bikini Bottom and The Checkup, there were more shocked and excited about them helping each other. It's not really that original to me. Squidward and Plankton had conversations in The Algae'
The reason more people mention it with post-movie episodes because it's rarer when the characters are characterized correctly in comparison to pre-movie where it was consistently good. Besides The Checkup and Sewers are good for more reasons than the dynamic and Love that Squid is mediocre af/
ElectricPikachu said:
Squidward and Plankton had conversations in The Algae's Always Greener, Chum Fricassee, Sweet and Sour Squid. Mr. Krabs and Plankton in New Leaf (except for the ending), Friend or Foe?, Best Frenemies, Chum Caverns, The Other Patty, and I heard that Teacher's Pests also have that same thing. Now Patrick has been a debatable character, they loved him, then hate him, then love him again but he's not funny anymore, then he's annoying, etc.
I don't even know what my opinion is for the show anymore, because I keep losing interest lately.
Just because the characters are the same doesn't mean the way they're characterized are the same. There's definitely a difference between Patrick's characterization in What's Eating Patrick and The Card/Krusty Katering.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
Honest Canadian Cartoon said:
This makes no sense. That's like saying Indiana Jones is a rip-off of Star Wars because Harrison Ford is in it. Just because SpongeBob and Squidward are used in more than one episode doesn't mean they're all the same. That's a lot different than stories being straight up rehashed.

This feels like you're really stretching to have a contrarian opinion.

The reason more people mention it with post-movie episodes because it's rarer when the characters are characterized correctly in comparison to pre-movie where it was consistently good. Besides The Checkup and Sewers are good for more reasons than the dynamic and Love that Squid is mediocre af/

Just because the characters are the same doesn't mean the way they're characterized are the same. There's definitely a difference between Patrick's characterization in What's Eating Patrick and The Card/Krusty Katering.
i don't exactly see the diffrence

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
spongebob scarypants said:
i don't exactly see the diffrence
Patrick is a really big jerk in The Card but he's really nice and somebody who you can feel sorry for in What's Eating Patrick. And he was even stupidier in The Card than in What's Eating Patrick.

I barely remember Patrick in Krusty Katering but iirc he tries to eat everyone else's food.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
Wintermelon43 said:
Patrick is a really big jerk in The Card but he's really nice and somebody who you can feel sorry for in What's Eating Patrick. And he was even stupidier in The Card than in What's Eating Patrick.

I barely remember Patrick in Krusty Katering but iirc he tries to eat everyone else's food.
i felt like it was patricks dumbness that lead to that stuff

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
i felt like it was patricks dumbness that lead to that stuff
He probably knew what he was doing in Krusty Katering, I don't think he was just being stupid. As I said though, The Card was kinda like a mixture of both.

His worst appearance was Yours, Mine, and Mine though. That was where he acted the rudest, and there is no argument about him being stupid either because he very clearly knew exactly what he was doing.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
Just to weigh in on the whole season 10/11 debate I honestly think they have like the widest range of quality of quality in the show, besides maybe season 6
imo there are really good episodes (Mimic Madness) pretty good episodes (MermaidPants, Out of the Picture) meh episodes (Krabby Patty Creature Feature) and bad episodes (Whirlybrains, Sportz)
I haven't seen every episode of these seasons so I could be wrong but I think they're really hard to categorize as generally good or generally bad since they're such a mixed bag

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Season 11 is just as good as 9B

The twerking in Stuck on the Roof and the trippy scene in There's a Sponge in my Soup were completetly fine (The latter was actually quite funny)

There's a Sponge in my Soup is one of the best episodes of Season 11, it was hilarious. I don't know why a lot of people hate it.

Back