Pinned thread Unpopular Opinions you Have on SpongeBob

Klu

Moby Dollar
YouDontKnowSponge said:
For me Seasons 10-11 varies, but I would have preferred if the show stayed in Season 9B format.
Exactly this.

But, so far, season 11 is better than season 10 for me.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
YouDontKnowSponge said:
For me Seasons 10-11 varies, but I would have preferred if the show stayed in Season 9B format.
It wouldn't stay in that so-called "format" for that long as you would think - many writers and storyboarders worked on 9b as freelancers or left to other projects by their own wishes after the production of this half ended, so it was inevitable.
Besides, the comical exaggerated faces and overreliance on gags, which you criticize S10 with, were also a thing in LATE episodes of 9b - for example, in Lame and Fortune, Food Con Castaways, Pineapple Invasion. And Kaz, Mr. Lawrence and Andrew Goodman also were staff writers on 9b, and are STILL on board as three out of four main writers.
Let's just think of Season 10 as an experiment that didn't work for some, but DID work for others.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Season 10 is a REALLY great season and it feels like the majority of SBM members are so negative about it. Not to bash on anyone's opinions here, but I sense that a lot of people on here just find the season mediocre to bad. Sure, the writing is sometimes out of place, but there is enough positive qualities in the season that make it really good, including the wacky animation and visual humor (even though it can be a little over-the-top sometimes). And hey, for every bad episode, there is at least 2 good ones that make up for it. Plus, the season feels so experimental, which is something that I love about TV shows. and I know that y'all like to write your flowery reviews about each episode but it ain't all so bad

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but that's how I perceive it.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Serisualy, it's unbelievable that so many people compare Season 10 to Season 6 and 7 when episodes like Pet or Pests, One Coarse Meal, Yours Mine and Mine, The Splinter, Shuffleboarding, Trenchbillies, etc are in those seasons. I honestly don't think any episode since Squid Baby has actually been terrible. Spongebob You're Fired and Sportz were really meh but I don't even think they're comparable to those episodes I listed above. Both episodes were pretty boring and only had like 2 good jokes, and Spongebob You're Fired had an terribly cheap Mr. Krabs and Sportz was extremely repetitive in an annoying way, but it still isn't comparable to the level of terribleness of other episodes like Squid Baby and Pet or Pests. Mr. Krabs was even worse in One Coarse Meal than in Spongebob You're Fired, and Yours Mine and Mine was even more annoying than Sportz.

People are just saying every new episode sucks just because they can't accept that post-movie/post-season-4 Spongebob can be good, and/or they can't accept that something new at all is good. Serisualy people, new DOES NOT automatically mean bad. Like, I know Season 10 and 11 (And really every post movie season) aren't as good as Seasons 2 and 3, but that doesn't instantly mean it's bad, it's still great. It's just not quite as great as Seasons 2-3.

And I know that some people on here aren't a big fan of Season 10 and I'm not gonna just say that they are completatly wrong on that and can't think that way, but people are completatly overexaggerating. And the biggest proof of that is that thread where people automatically said that There's a Sponge in my Soup was terrible and a horrible abomination that is (basically) one of the worst things to ever be created, based off a 20-second clip of an episode that they hadn't even seen the rest of, because it was one of those "trippy/drug trip" type scenes....... but yet don't care that Procrastination, Sponge out of Water, Squeaky Boots, Clarinetland, Inspongeiac, and Pineapple Invasion have these, and many other episodes have insane scenes like that (but to a lesser extent), but don't get any hate for it either. It's completetly appalling and disgusting how people act about new Spongebob (and really almost anything new) and it's completetly rediculous.

And I could keep ranting on and on and on about how people are overreacting to new Spongebob's "horribleness" despite not being horrible, and about how much I hate humanity in general, but I've said enough here anyway so whatever.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I wish I can just say I find season 10 bad without someone giving me a lecture on how it's an improvement over seasons 6 and 7. Something can still be bad but not be "Season 6 Bad". I feel that's a cheap excuse to dismiss criticism.

Besides imo episodes like Whirly Brains, Code Yellow, Snooze You Lose, Krusty Katering, Life Insurance, Plankton Retires, and Patrick's Coupon are about as bad as your typical season 6 episode, even if they're not quite bottom-tier season 6 episodes, and Sportz is just a bottom-tier episode in general.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I wish I can just say I find season 10 bad without someone giving me a lecture on how it's an improvement over seasons 6 and 7. Something can still be bad but not be "Season 6 Bad". I feel that's a cheap excuse to dismiss criticism.

Besides imo episodes like Whirly Brains, Code Yellow, Snooze You Lose, Krusty Katering, Life Insurance, Plankton Retires, and Patrick's Coupon are about as bad as your typical season 6 episode, even if they're not quite bottom-tier season 6 episodes, and Sportz is just a bottom-tier episode in general.
That's why I added the last paragraph in, I get that some people didn't like the Season and I'm not going to say that you are defitenly wrong for not liking it, but people are defitenly overexaggerating about it.

As for those episodes you listed, I think Spongebob as a whole is underrated and never became truly bad overall even during Seasons 6 and 7, so I would actually say that Patrick's Coupon, Whirlybrains, and Snooze you Lose are about in the same area as the Upper-mid section of Season 6 and 7, but that would still be about average anyway so I wouldn't even consider it bad. Sportz would be in the mid-lower mid section too (Can't be defitenly sure when I've only seen the episode once). And the show has gotten back to Season 9B's quality too in Season 11 so far and feels much more like 9B than 10 (Except Cave Dwelling Sponge and The Clam Whisperer, but as others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if those 2 were originally Season 10 and moved to Season 11).

I'm just getting really tired of everyone just constantly hating on the show, serisualy, It's getting to the point where it's even ruining it for me, and all I ever hear about the show is "HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE". It's really getting frustrating at this point.

Supmandude

Squog
SpongeBob is better than ever. Kaz is the greatest writer of all time and has only gotten better. The show is even more perfect than TTG. Seasons 10 and 11 are at least a million times better than Seasons 2 and 3. The show is so perfect that it’s beyond words!!!

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I still don't think the series started declining in Season 3. I think the show had a very slight decline in early Season 4 where it was mostly the same as Seasons 2-3 except that more episodes weren't very good, and then had it's first real decline after Wishing You Well, where the average quality fell a little bit and then kept falling more and more (while still maintaining at least an average of decent) before finally starting to rise in Season 7 and hasn't had a major decline ever since (the show declined a little bit from 9B during Season 10, but not by that much, and it's already back to 9B quality in Season 11 so far)

Klu

Moby Dollar
Season 3 is the weakest from the original run. I can't forgive those awful specials and Mr.Krab's flanderization. Besides, other than "Chocolate with Nuts" and "Krusty Krabs Training Video" I don't really have that much favorites from that season, personally. I don't mean that majority of the season is mediocre, just Season 1 had strongest atmosphere and Season 2 had strongest comedy.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
As neat and clean as the series looks now, there's a certain charm to Season 1's cel animation that I just really miss. While Season 10 or 11 probably has the best animation, I feel like 1 will always be my personal favorite.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Dumped and Party Pooper Pants aren't great but they're better than 80% of seasons 6 and 7 and are mostly hated so people can say "Pre-Movie isn't perfect" as if it's some shocking and contrarian revelation.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
Dumped and Party Pooper Pants aren't great but they're better than 80% of seasons 6 and 7 and are mostly hated so people can say "Pre-Movie isn't perfect" as if it's some shocking and contrarian revelation.
Yes! And I actually LIKE both of those episodes. I didn't used to see any flaws in PPP when I first watched it - it simply amused me.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I don't really see what's so special about the differant animation in Season 1. It's pretty cool just because it's the only season to have it that way, but otherwise it's worse than the rest of the season's animation.

I feel like everyone is always saying that the entire series should have been animated that way and it was the best animation and stuff and I really don't see it at all.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Early post-sequel is better than most of the later post-sequel episodes due to how different in tone it became in less than 30 episodes. Still, season 11 is looking to be a balance of both seasons 9B and 10 so far.

Back