Pinned thread Unpopular Opinions you Have on SpongeBob

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Pretty sure this is the popular opinion

Unless you're on YouTube, unfortunately.

I do agree that post-sequel isn't really like the pre-movie at all. Not even the best of the seasons. It irks me when people always praise every single moment or episode and go "SpongeBob is good again since the creator came back" when it's either a moment that's happened in post-movie before (like adult humor) or something that would likely be disliked if it was before the second movie. I don't know if this blind praise is worse than the blind hate of seasons 4-9(a).

Klu

Moby Dollar
SpongeBob is really good now, just in a different way. Shows that go on for many seasons should change to stay good.

On upopular opinion side, I think that late 9B is really similar to season 10 and 11. :P

Klu

Moby Dollar
CakeCup said:
Just because a character acts dumb in an episode, it doesn't make it entirely bad. Sometimes, characters acting stupid can add charm if it is done right.
In many early episodes Patrick and SpongeBob were really stupid, but episodes themselves were fun to watch.
Problem of season 6-8 characterization (or lack of it) that character's actions are cringey and hard to watch, they are not funny.
SpongeBob in Teacher's Pests was amusing and positive, Patrick and SpongeBob in ScavengerPants were on the edge of being annoying, but episode kept balance and has strong humor.
So yeah, it's down to execution.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Klu said:
In many early episodes Patrick and SpongeBob were really stupid, but episodes themselves were fun to watch.
Problem of season 6-8 characterization (or lack of it) that character's actions are cringey and hard to watch, they are not funny.
SpongeBob in Teacher's Pests was amusing and positive, Patrick and SpongeBob in ScavengerPants were on the edge of being annoying, but episode kept balance and has strong humor.
So yeah, it's down to execution.
The difference between pre-movie Spongebob being stupid and modern spongebob being stupid, was the fact that pre-movie spongebob was realistically stupid, not childish. Old Spongebob didn't scream or laugh obnoxiously, pre-movie's stupidity was based on actions and dialogue, now it's solely based on slapstick.

Klu

Moby Dollar
The difference between pre-movie Spongebob being stupid and modern spongebob being stupid, was the fact that pre-movie spongebob was realistically stupid, not childish. Old Spongebob didn't scream or laugh obnoxiously, pre-movie's stupidity was based on actions and dialogue, now it's solely based on slapstick.
SpongeBob is still acting naive and clueless, episode "The Gateway" is the prime example. SpongeBob just one of those shows where character's traits usually depending on the writer. In some old episodes SpongeBob was childish too. In some new episodes he is more relatable everyman like in the first season.
But it's your opinion and that's fine, I can understand if you don't like recent characterization.

Honest Slug said:
Unpopular opinion: The ending of Gone is terrible, but it is no more terrible than the rest of that terrible episode.
I still don't see why people hate Gone so much. Is there a reason I'm missing?

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I still don't see why people hate Gone so much. Is there a reason I'm missing?

Besides the ending, there's also the fact that the episode rather abruptly changes its plot about midway through. I did like the set up with SpongeBob finding out everyone disappeared and his imitations were funny too. But it all goes downhill after that. It's suddenly about him dating a boat, and hanging out with a boat, and being chased by a boat. I don't know if the writers put this sequence in the episode to emphasize that SpongeBob was going crazy from nervous breakdown or if they ran out of ideas and this was just filler to pad out the episode.

Besides the ending, there's also the fact that the episode rather abruptly changes its plot about midway through. I did like the set up with SpongeBob finding out everyone disappeared and his imitations were funny too. But it all goes downhill after that. It's suddenly about him dating a boat, and hanging out with a boat, and being chased by a boat. I don't know if the writers put this sequence in the episode to emphasize that SpongeBob was going crazy from nervous breakdown or if they ran out of ideas and this was just filler to pad out the episode.

And what's wrong with the ending?

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Team Azula said:
And what's wrong with the ending?
1.) It's a cop-out, half-way through the episode abruptly switches from being comedic to trying to tell a story, as a mystery it completely fails as there's no clues or foreshadowing and comes out of nowhere.

2.) It makes no sense. The only people have major grudges against SpongeBob are Squidward and Mrs. Puff, to suggest everyone in Bikini Bottom hates SpongeBob is completely contradictory.

3.) It's just mean without being funny. The punchline is just "Lol SpongeBob sucks!" without anything clever going for it.

Gone is an atrocious episode.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Krusty Katering's Patrick subplot is annoying beyond all end. Personally, I think the episode could've been better if they tied to the party to Squilliam, that'd make for an interesting rivalry episode, and give the gang a little more motivation to do better as a catering company.

Growlie

Best Boy
Krusty Katering's Patrick subplot is annoying beyond all end. Personally, I think the episode could've been better if they tied to the party to Squilliam, that'd make for an interesting rivalry episode, and give the gang a little more motivation to do better as a catering company.
I agree.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
YouDontKnowSponge said:
Any episode from Season 4 >>>>>> Band Geeks

Band Geeks is a good episode, but I do agree with the fans on this site who think it's overrated.
no

Here's my unpopular opinion: People completely overreact to Band Geeks being the most loved episode (which is debatable anyway because Chocolate with Nuts is about just as loved anyway) to the point where Band Geeks is underrated. It's still an amazing episode.

RDSP

Banished
Oh boy, I have a LOT of unpopular opinions...
* I think Season 5 was the last good season of SpongeBob until Season 9. While Season 8 was better than Seasons 6 and 7, it was rather... hit or miss.
* I dislike The Paper and think it has probably the first Squidward Torture moment (I know the arguement is old but whatever)
* I dislike Fools in April, mostly because of the ending.
* I love Hooky, probably due to nostalgia but I think it's really good otherwise
* I find As Seen on TV bland and nearly humourless (not totally but still)
* I absolutely DESPISE The Sponge Who Could Fly and I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention (on a side note, I think that all of the specials in Season 3 sucked)
* I prefer the duller colours of Season 4 over the vibrant ones of Season 3 (although I still think Season 3 looked better)
* I find The Splinter more boring than disgusting.
* I like Company Picnic, despite how slow it is at times
* Similarly to the one above, I also like Food Con Castaways
* I actually like Season 10 and don't mind the cartoonish art style, even if it is sometimes a bit annoying
* I like Out of the Picture (yes, seriously)
* I don't like Man Ray Returns and it's currently my least favourite episode from Season 11.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Alright, I know unpopular opinions are bound to be debated and disagreed with, but whether or not it's exaggerating, that's kind of low.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
Amphitrite said:
Alright, I know unpopular opinions are bound to be debated and disagreed with, but whether or not it's exaggerating, that's kind of low.
yeah i swear this kind of stuff is what makes the internet a mess

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
I'll be honest with Gone. It's not the best, but not the worst either, just average at it's finest. The Ending well... I'm not bothered with and please don't kill me for this but let's be honest when sometimes we can get annoyed with that one person we don't do that for the sake of not making them feel bad.

Back