Underrated Post-Movie Episodes

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Alright it's been a while since i've posted on here(been busy with college) but now that i'm going through season 4 it's time for me to talk about the first post-movie episode that people seemed to hate on-Good Neighbors.

The problem some have with this episode is how Squidward was portrayed, but given all the trouble Spongebob has put him through in the past, I can't blame him for dreading Spongebob even being near him. The tone is admittedly a bit confused, and sometimes it's hard to tell if we are supposed to be rooting for or against Squidward. I personally found his over-the-top shouting to be funny, as it's a side of him we don't get to see often. In most episodes with Squidward being tortured by Spongebob and Patrick, they seem blissfully unaware of how much he dislikes them, whereas here they actually are aware that he does not want them around and they actually admit to screwing up and try to make things right, which I found to be an interesting and refreshing change of pace.

I definitely consider this superior over the episode it most closely reassembles-Club Spongebob, as unlike in that episode where Squidward got the short end of the stick for seemingly no reason, here it's largely of his own doing. Plus Squid's house going nuts and destroying the town was pretty amusing. Also loved how creative the animators got, especially with how Spongebob and Patrick paint the town "polka-dot". So I get the issues people have with this episode, but I still found it enjoyable enough.

darkrage6 said:
Alright it's been a while since i've posted on here(been busy with college) but now that i'm going through season 4 it's time for me to talk about the first post-movie episode that people seemed to hate on-Good Neighbors.

The problem some have with this episode is how Squidward was portrayed, but given all the trouble Spongebob has put him through in the past, I can't blame him for dreading Spongebob even being near him. The tone is admittedly a bit confused, and sometimes it's hard to tell if we are supposed to be rooting for or against Squidward. I personally found his over-the-top shouting to be funny, as it's a side of him we don't get to see often. In most episodes with Squidward being tortured by Spongebob and Patrick, they seem blissfully unaware of how much he dislikes them, whereas here they actually are aware that he does not want them around and they actually admit to screwing up and try to make things right, which I found to be an interesting and refreshing change of pace.

I definitely consider this superior over the episode it most closely reassembles-Club Spongebob, as unlike in that episode where Squidward got the short end of the stick for seemingly no reason, here it's largely of his own doing. Plus Squid's house going nuts and destroying the town was pretty amusing. Also loved how creative the animators got, especially with how Spongebob and Patrick paint the town "polka-dot". So I get the issues people have with this episode, but I still found it enjoyable enough.
You raise some good points here. I haven't watched the episode in a while so maybe it's not as bad as I remember it being.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Been a little while since i've updated this topic, apologies for that, Stephen's sudden passing kinda put me in a downer mood for a bit, but i'm past it now and i'm ready to resume watching this show.

So for today's underrated PM episode we have Whale of a Birthday, it's another Pearl episode and in general those tend to not be liked because some find her annoying. Personally I don't mind her too much and in this episode was pretty relatable with having to deal with Mr Krabs being a cheapskate for years(Spongebob's imitation of him in Shell of a Man doing an operation on Pearl to save a Nickel doesn't sound so far-fetched now) still he does care enough to get her whatever she wants, which was nice to see, Squidward being a fan of Boys who Cry was funny at how random it was and some of Krabs cheapskate ways were good for a laugh. So a decent episode in all, funny to note how boy bands like Boys Who Cry went from being outdated when this episode first aired to being popular again in the new tens with the rise of popular boy bands like One Direction.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Now for another one- All That Glitters.

Personally I like the idea of inanimate objects being sentient, and it makes about as much sense as anything else in the show so it's easy for me to not dwell on the logic behind it. Even having grown up I still think the episode holds up pretty well, yeah it overdoes it on the crying a bit, but nothing too excessive and the comedy was pretty good(Spongebob desperately trying to get money for Le Spatula, the doctor being an actor, Spongebob being nude, etc) and I thought Le Spatula himself was an entertaining and funny character(uptight French characters always make me chuckle for some reason) and I liked the relationship between Spongebob and Spat.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
I always liked "The Bad Guy Club for Villains" for how unique it is, being an actual episode of the MM&BB TV show.

"Treats!" is a good one as well, with SpongeBob calling Gary by his full name and that Snail Bites commercial.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
New Leaf: Interesting to see Plankton and Krabs act friendly towards one another and it's one of the more interesting schemes Plankton pulled.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Once Bitten-I'm a sucker for episodes where everyone in Bikini Bottom erupts into mass hysteria and this one is certainly entertaining in that regard. Some criticize it for people believing Patrick, but considering everyone blindly followed his "plan" in Sandy, Spongebob and the Worm I didn't have a hard time buying that. I thought the jokes were pretty good overall.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Time for another one- That's No Lady. For whatever reason i've always had a thing for crossdresser related plots in films and TV shows(White Chicks is one of my favorite comedies) and this episode is no exception, I can understand how some would find it weird and awkward but I thought it was interesting enough to keep my attention, loved Squid and Krabs priceless reactions to Patrick's disguise.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Time for another STP episode I like-The Thing, Squid goes through so much hardship it's almost comical in how over-the-top it is and I dug the ending for how random it was, also I must say I really dug that piece of jazz music that was played in this episode, very pleasant and relaxing sounding.

Last edited:

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Now for a Patrick episode-Rule of Dumb, this episode reminded me a lot of the Recess episode "King Gus" in that it has a similar "unpopular guy suddenly gets into a position power" storyline and it's a of storyline i've always been fond of. Patrick is definitely a bit over-the-top in terms of his jerkiness, but to be fair Spongebob did kind of unintentionally cause that by saying Patrick could have "anything he wanted". The comedy was a bit of mixed bag, Patrick acting like a jerk wasn't that funny, but things like him randomly burning library books were good for a laugh.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Another STP episode-Squid Wood, not much to say about this one other then I found it watchable, the dancing sequence was nicely animated and Squidward going berserk was good for a laugh, there are some unanswered questions regarding Mini-Squid(did he come to life after Spongebob stopped controlling him?) but the amusing ending made up for it.

Also Best Day Ever, yes Nick did overhype this episode to hell and back, but I feel too many people judge this episode from how it was promoted as opposed to it's own merits. As someone who didn't tune for the BDE marathon I don't have the same intense dislike for this episode that other do, I certainly wouldn't say it was the end of Spongebob's golden period or a jumping the shark moment like others would. The title song is really nice to listen to and I did like the lesson of how a day not turning out like you planned can still be good and it was nice to see Squidward come out on top for once.

And to cap off season 4, Gift of Gum, one of the most bizarre and surreal episodes of the show, there's some nice animation with the gum everywhere and the random ending works.

Last edited:

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
The great patty caper was really enjoyable to me, I like the atmosphere of the train, and the action scene where they need to stop the train is soooo funny, also the gags with spongebob, patrick, and plankton on the trrain are funny.

coft

happy hopping moron
Mrs. Puff, You’re Fired
That’s No Lady
The Gift Of Gum
New Digs
Bucket Sweet Bucket
Money Talks
Picture Day
20,000 Patties Under The Sea
Suction Cup Symphony
Patty Caper
Ditchin’
Earworm
The Wreck Of The Mauna Loa
Drive Thru
Frozen Face-Off
The Good Krabby Name
Gary’s New Toy
Eek, An Urchin!

Snails

Floating Shopping List
Selling Out
Patrick SmartPants
SquidBob TentaclePants
Whale Of A Bitrthday
New Leaf
Once Bitten
Squidtastic Voyage
Hocus Pocus
Born To Be Wild
The Pink Purloiner
The Gift Of Gum
New Digs
Krabs A La Mode
Bucket Sweet Bucket
Slimy Dancing
Picture Day
Pat No Pay
Blackjack
Pest Of The West
20,000 Patties Under The Sea
Banned In Bikini Bottom
House Fancy
Spongicus
Suction Cup Symphony
Gone
Slide Whistle Stooges
A Life In A Day
SpongeBob SquarePants Vs The Big One
Dear Vikings
To SquarePants Or Not To Have A Long Title
No Hat For Pat
Kracked Krabs
The Play's The Thing
The Curse Of The Hex
Buried In Time
Shellback Shenanigans
The Masterpiece
Love That Squid
Big Sister Sam
Accidents Will Happen
The Other Patty
Drive Thru
A Friendly Game
A SquarePants Family Vacation
Walking The Plankton
Fiasco!
For Here Or To Go
The Good Krabby Name
License To Milkshake
Eek, An Urchin!
Evil Spatula
Lost In Bikini Bottom
The Executive Treatment
Sanctuary!
Food Con Castaways
Pineapple Invasion
Mutiny On The Krusty
Plankton Retires
Out Of The Picture
The Season 11 Good Episodes

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
New Fish in Town
Shell of a Man
Selling Out
Atlantis SquarePantis (I find it better than most people do, I don't love the episode but some elements sort of save this one)
New Leaf
Sweet and Sour Squid (sadly paired with the show's worst episode)

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
Underrated: Chum Bucket Supreme, Kracked Krabs, SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One, Krusty Dogs, Roller Cowards, Pest of the West, Komputer Overload, Toy Store of Doom, Gary in Love, Walking the Plankton
Overhated: Good Neighbors, Funny Pants, The Thing, Night Light, SpongeHenge (yes, I said it!), House Fancy, The Splinter (it's definitely bad but not one of the worst), Shuffleboarding (inadequate but not bad, just very boring), Tentacle-Vision,
I forgot New Leaf. New Leaf is overhated. I believe it's an adequate episode.
I forgot New Leaf. New Leaf is overhated. I believe it's an adequate episode.
Season 3 is the best Spongebob season understand

Back