Top 15 Worst SB Pairings

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Well, we're back with a new list. We already know there are good episodes and of course bad episodes, but this time I'm going to talk about those pairings that were just wrong, for several reasons you're going to find out. And for the record, my list contains episodes from both pre-movie and post-movie eras.
So, sit back and prepare yourselves for my top 15 of the worst SB pairings in Spongebob.

43.png
and

2.png

This is probably the least bad pairing on my list, but it's not a good pairing, either.
I don't really like Krabby Land, there's Spongebob abuse and Krabs at his worst, but at least he gets his comeuppance at the end. But it's still forgettable.
The Camping Episode is undoubtedly better than its sister episode, but honestly it's not one of my favorites. It's good, but not fantastic, as it focuses on Squid abuse and even back then, in season 3, it rarely worked.
The next 14 pairings are much more problematic than this one, which contains a meh episode and an overrated one, so I guess we can find some balance in it.

Hint for #14: it's from season 1, strangely enough, both episodes were on my previous lists.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
2.png
and

2.png

This pairing has basically the same problem as the previous one:
You already know my thoughts about MuscleBob BuffPants: it's stupid, forgettable and overrated. Spongebob is out of character and Sandy's punishment is way too harsh, as if he had committed a crime.
I don't really like Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost, either. It's slightly better than its sister episode, but Squidward demands such stupid tasks, he's pretty annoying here.
Nothing else to say, aside from both episodes being quite overrated, whereas the previous couple had only one.

Hint for #13: this one is from season 2, the first one on this list involving a good episode and a not so good one.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
2.png
and
2.png

Here it is: the first pairing on this list which has a good episode and a not so good one.
Grandma's Kisses is a weak episode, with a stupid premise and a bad characterization of Squidward and also of Spongebob's grandmother, who basically wants his grandson to suffer. That's so twisted and mean-spirited.
On the other hand, there's Squidville, one of my favorite episodes, with a good plot, a great climax and a fantastic characterization of Squidward: he's kinda out of character, but here it actually makes sense. Moreover, Spongebob is a nice character and Patrick is simply epic.
As you can see, this pairing doesn't work because it's unbalanced. However it's low on this list as the good episode follows the less good one. It's also a matter of order.

Hint for #12: another season 2 couple, with an episode considered overrated by many and the other one I consider overrated.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I like all of these episodes except for Krabby Land.

Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost is so underrated.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Honest Slug said:
I like all of these episodes except for Krabby Land.

Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost is so underrated.
OMG , agree on both things you said!!! :D

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I respect your opnions, even though I'm typically pretty defensive about these episodes, maybe because it's early in the morning where I'm typing this. :P I have no idea what post movie episode are going to be on this list and if they're going to be either well-known or just the bland ones.

15. I actually really like this pairing, even though Krabby Land isn't the most memorable or fun episode.
14. I don't mind this pairing but I don't like MuscleBob that much.
13. Like Krabby Land, Grandma's Kisses isn't super memorable (aside from a few funny gags.) I love Squidville, though. Probably the first pairing I agree with you on (I wouldn't put it on my list.)

12 could be anything, actually, as several season 2 pairings have a beloved episode and an episode that's forgotten.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
EmployeeAMillion said:
I respect your opnions, even though I'm typically pretty defensive about these episodes, maybe because it's early in the morning where I'm typing this. :P I have no idea what post movie episode are going to be on this list and if they're going to be either well-known or just the bland ones.
You'll find out.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
2.png

and
2.png

Another season 2 couple? Again, it's only #12 as it follows the order not so good-good. It involves two relatively overrated episodes.
Quite frankly, I consider The Secret Box even more overrated than its sister episode, as it's based on just ONE gag, which might work once or twice, but not enough for an entire episode. Besides, they never show that cursed picture. Even the first time I watched it on TV I felt like "Come on, let me see it, I want to be disappointed as well." Just not good.
As for Band Geeks, it's obviously much better than its sister episode, even though most fans think it's a bit overestimated as well... okay, it's great, but I don't think it's the best one ever. Don't get me wrong, I liked it as a whole, but the final part (which was cut in my country) is too long and strange: the only positive thing was seeing Squidward triumphing, but the rest is just too weird. In other words, I think it's a bit overrated due to the ending, because everything else was great. Too bad.
Overall, this pairing contains two overrated episodes for different reasons, even though the latter is much better than the former. But again, it's low on this list since it follows a specific order.

Hint for #11: what if a pairing followed the opposite order? Starting with a great episode and ending with a bad one? From season 3.

Back