TOP 15 SB Episodes everyone seems to like but I... don't.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
2.png

Many of you are going to disagree with me right now, but seriously, I personally think it's a bit overrated: Krusty Towers and New Leaf are much better episodes. I'm not a fan of episodes based on Squid abuse, but if it is done correctly and in a balanced way, THEN I may appreciate it. However, this episode almost focuses on Squid abuse, both physically and psychologically, it's seen as an essential source of comedy, you know, like Meg abuse in Family Guy, therefore if the latter is considered mostly unfunny, I can't figure out how the former can be so amusing. Everything he does, always backfires. Again, it may work once or even twice, but not enough for about 10 minutes (just like The Secret Box). Apart from it, the plot isn't that bad, I liked the wooden spoon bit and the Krabs at the hospital sequence. This doesn't manage to compensate for the unfunny routine the audience has been forced to be present at.

Hint for #4: the last post-movie episode of my list, unneededly depressive.

As for the first 4 episodes of my list, I don't consider them good episodes. Among them, the #1 is a bad one and the #4 is a post-movie one.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
0.png

This episode just went too far: the plot is actually interesting and not that bad, but there's one big flaw, it's very unbalanced. Don't get me wrong, I liked the story, but it concentrated ONLY on sensitivity, which is not a horrible thing, in fact I'd appreciate it more if they added some funny scenes for a change. On the other hand, this episode is like: "Spongebob is sad, blah blah... Spongebob cries, blah blah... Gary will never be back... blah". And besides, considering the lack of continuity of the show, we already know that Gary will indeed be back, since he's a main character, so yeah, this depressing rigmarole is pretty much useless, after all. The writers should have also explained WHY the old lady is so interested in eating snails, instead of using that character only for a cheap twist. Overall, great story with a disappointing result.

Hint for #3: bland one-hit character for a pretty overrated episode.

7. I love this episode, but I agree that I was always disappointed that we never saw the picture.
6. I think this episode is completely boring.
5. I enjoy this one but not as much as most others do.
4. My thoughts on #5 apply to this episode as well.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
After I finish this list, I'm going to start a new one, this time with the episodes I like but everyone seems to hate.
As for this one:

4.png

What an ugly title card. Tiny details aside, it's such an overrated episode. The bully is one of the most forgettable, blandest, dullest characters ever: he's like "Blah blah, I'm going to punch you, blah". Maybe I'm the only one noticing it, but here Mrs. Puff is more sadistic than she was in Demolition Doofus, in which she wanted Spongebob to get himself killed, much to the shock of SB fans. I'm not trying to defend Demolition Doofus, at all, I still think it's a bad episode, but at least she was clearly expressing her hatred towards Spongebob, for getting her inflation sack broken (again, I don't like DD and I never will), whereas in The Bully she was actually LYING to him, by basically denying the bully's violent personality, so she was far from being reassuring, and it's absolutely not a good thing. In real life, in case of bullies, teachers have to defend their own pupils, since it's their responsability and they must avoid to say (the forum will censor this word, but I consider this topic very serious) bull**** because it wouldn't be fair. But, again, I digress.
The ending is lame and clichéd, that sort of misunderstanding is much older than me and is just a stupid excuse to end an episode.
I know I had to review only the episode, but we cannot laugh at this topic, as in real life people suffer from this problem at school and probably making an episode out of it wasn't such a nice idea.

Hint for #2: repeated gag for another overrated episode.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
2.png

Wow, it's such an overrated episode. I know that the ripped pants gag was repetitive on purpose, but I complain the fact they actually made an episode rotating around that silly gag, and even so it's considered one of the best episodes ever. I mean, they even did a song out of it. In other words, the main flaw of this episode is the base, it's not solid enough to build an episode. Besides, it has the poorest characterization of Sandy: she just laughs at Spongebob's nonsense and that's all. Even House Sittin' for Sandy (which I STILL consider a pointless and horrible episode) had a decent characterization for her.
You might also think "And for that reason you put it above The Bully?"... yes, I don't have any regrets. While The Bully was based on a specific topic, Ripped Pants is based on a non-existent topic. It's unlikely to be even sure to create an episode with that sort of premise. Overall, an essential problem.

No hint for #1.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Before discovering my #1, let's recap my list:

#15: Chocolate with Nuts
#14: Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost
#13: Squirrel Jokes
#12: Grandma's Kisses
#11: Nature Pants
#10: I Had an Accident
#9: Opposite Day
#8: The Original Fry Cook
#7: The Secret Box
#6: Musclebob Buffpants
#5: The Lost Mattress
#4: Have You Seen this Snail?
#3: The Bully
#2: Ripped Pants

Honorable mentions: Jellyfish Jam (love the song, the rest is forgettable), Squid on Strike (the ending ruined it), Club Spongebob (too overrated and the conch is annoying), Can you Spare a Dime? (not bad, but Krabs is a greedy character and Squidward is too demanding), The Camping Episode (another version of Club Spongebob).

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Tomorrow I'm starting the new list on a new topic with the 15 episodes that are usually hated, but I don't particularly dislike.
This is #1 for my top 15 of episodes almost everyone likes but I don't.

2.png

I might be cheating, since a lot of fans hate this one, so it can be considered a matter of common hatred. However, I also read positive reviews about this episode and honestly, unlike Ripped Pants which had a stupid plot, the original idea was really interesting. In fact, the beginning is great, with Patrick busy tidying up his rock, his furniture made of sand is a nice touch. Also the middle is not that bad, with Spongebob being stupid on purpose to help his friend. If there weren't for the next part, now we'd be talking about a different episode. All of a sudden, Patrick, just like his """parents""", begin to consider Spongebob stupid for real, and as you might think, here things become really obnoxious, no need to explain how. The ending is much stupider than the whole Ripped Pant and makes absolutely no sense and actually proves that Spongebob wasn't the stupidest guy out there, Speaking of which, I give you 3 theories:
1) Patrick is the stupidest since he's not even able to recognize his own parents.
2) Patrick's non-parents who don't even have a child and they remember it only at the end.
3) Or perhaps writers shouldn't have ruined a prospectively good episode. Such a waste.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Honestly I don't think Nature Pants and I'm With Stupid are overrated. The rest I disagree with but I can understand except The Lost Mattress. Squidward is a giant ***hole in that episode, he pretty much sent SpongeBob and Patrick to die.

PinkPearl

insert title here
I'm With Stupid seems to be getting a lot of hate lately. It's not my favorite episode either; just something I'm noticing. Patrick was pretty darn unlikable, so I see where you're coming from.

#12 - A funny episode, but still rather weak in comparison to the rest of Season 2. Still a good episode but I do see where you come from here.
#11 - I actually really agree. I don't really like this episode that much. In fact, it's my least favorite of Season 1.
#10 - Completely disagree in every sense of the word. While it would be one thing if you were talking about the main part of the episode, the ending completely destroys every bad thing the episode did inbetween. The ending scene is probably one of the most influential scenes of anything I've ever seen in my life, and in anything I've written, and probably is an influence on my entire personality itself and why I am so random, weird, and annoying (or at least in real life, dunno if it seems that way here). Definitely one of the show's best episodes. But I respect your opinion, and that's cool, even if you're wrong.
#9 - I sort of agree I guess. I just found this to be a solid episode, not the best of the series but solid.
#8 - I do "pretty much" agree. An overrated episode that is okay, but it's just that. It's not great or one of the best from season 5 as people say. I don't hate it though. (Even more unpopular opinion: I prefer Night Light. I think it's a great episode)
#7 - YES. FINALLY. People always praise this episode to be amazing, and I completely disagree. It's boring. It's not funny. It feels like a drama episode. Or at least until the final scene of the episode, which is a great scene, but the rest of the episode is bland and just seems to go nowhere for the most of it's time.
#6 - I like this episode. Your opinion is fine though.
#5 - ^Same as above.
#4 - I disagree 18 and a half trillion times. This is the second best episode of the series in my opinion, because it actually made me cry and no work of anything at all has ever done that before and hasn't to this day and probably won't. I actually feel connected with this episode and these characters, which is a testament to how incredible this episode is. You're just flat out wrong here.
#3 - A very funny and great episode. I do enjoy this one a lot. However, I do understand why you don't like it.
#2 - I agree! When I was like 6 or something this was my least favorite episode of the series. It's not that now, that title goes to Fungus Among Us, but it's far far away from my favorite. I didn't really laugh at anything in this episode and the ending was lame. It didn't really have a strong plot either, it kinda failed to keep my attention for 11 minutes about a guy who makes a joke about ripened pants. This episode feels like my early Season 1 episodes of The SBM Show I wrote for being so bland and having so many missed chances. And grammar mistakes. This episode doesn't have that though. However, I did like the song.
#1 - My stance on this episode changes all the time. I used to hate it, then I loved it, and now I'm somewhere in the middle. An episode that I do agree with your points to some extent, but I can see the other side of the story as well and agree with all their points as well.

You did a good list, sir. I didn't agree with all of these, in fact some of these had no place in here at all, but I found someone else who doesn't ride the like train for Ripped Pants and The Secret Box. Nice job, you wrote good descriptions too.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Thanks. :thumbsup:
I'm already making my new list of episodes I don't hate but everyone else does.
P.S: I Had an Accident and Have you Seen this Snail are kinda overrated. :sbthumbs:

Back