Tokyopop's SpongeBob Cine-Manga Flaws (2003-2007)

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
You may know these books. Some of you might own them.. (I do.) and The UK people see it in the SpongeBob UK Magazines (Issues 1-50, I think.)

But there were lots of flaws I would like to point out.

Lets do this.

1 .Misplaced Lines and Adding what the characters say

In "Culture Shock", SpongeBob's Mom and Dad say this:

lYXzy31.jpg

Its supposed to be Reversed, SpongeBob's Dad never said, "My son's a star!", SpongeBob's Mom said that. SpongeBob's Mom never said, "Who ever knew he had such talent?!", SpongeBob's Dad said that.

Moving on...

In "No Free Rides", Mrs. Puff says this:

When she makes that face she actually said, "NO, not again..."

Then she says, "I've got to end this thing before it begins.", She says that when she makes the close-up face.

Moving on again...

In "That's No Lady", Mr. Krabs says this:

Patricia (Patrick) actually says that.

Next...

During the 'Subliminal Messages' scene In "Gary Takes a Bath", after the last one, SpongeBob says this:

TokyoPop, What the Heck?!! He says "Sorry You had to see that.",

NOT

"Sorry you had to see that last one."

Seriously, TokyoPop, what's wrong with you???

2.Skipping scenes

In "Wet Painters", Watch this carefully...

UMM... THERE'S A COUPLE FLAWS THERE, TOKYOPOP...

1. When SpongeBob and Patrick say, "Special", They do NOT have the 'Secret' face...
2. Also, they skip the part when they say, "Secret". Seriously?

MOVING ALONG...

In "The Algae's Always Greener", watch closely...

Where's the part when it shows the Shrimp leaving the restaurant?!!?

In the same episode...

Where's the part when he it stops for a second and he sips his soda? WHERE IS IT?

Last but not least, in the episode, "The Great Snail Race", Watch closely...

Where's the part when Sandy says, "I don't know why, but I think I'm going to kick SpongeBob's butt tomorrow." ?

In the same episode...

That's NOT how the episode ends! It ends when Sandy kicks SpongeBob and says, "THAT'S FOR YESTERDAY, SQUAREPANTS!!", Why won't Tokyopop do anything right?????

That's all I have to say.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
I always had a feeling that it was an English translation of the Japanese dubbed version.

I remember in the Bubblestand one, it has Patrick saying, "It's and elephant!"

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
abney317 said:
I always had a feeling that it was an English translation of the Japanese dubbed version.

I remember in the Bubblestand one, it has Patrick saying, "It's and elephant!"
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

Also, in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" one, It has SpongeBob singing. "A stove is a stove, no matter where you go..." and then it goes to SpongeBob crying on the ground.

They skipped the whole song...

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
President Squidward said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

Also, in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" one, It has SpongeBob singing. "A stove is a stove, no matter where you go..." and then it goes to SpongeBob crying on the ground.

They skipped the whole song...
SpongeBob just couldn't handle it.. the stove was too much

I think I've got every one of the books... haven't read them in ages though... makes me want to look at them again

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
abney317 said:
SpongeBob just couldn't handle it.. the stove was too much

I think I've got every one of the books... haven't read them in ages though... makes me want to look at them again
HA HA HA. :p

I feel like reading my TokyoPop SpongeBob books too.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I'm certain they're nothing to do with Tokyopop. What they used to do in the SpongeBob magazine is just screen cap an episode and crudely turn it into a comic, which involved switching a couple of things around so that it made sense in comic form and fit within the number of allocated pages. Nowadays they do it a lot better. They still turn episodes into comics but they're much shorter and take a lot more liberties with switching things around, editing dialogue, using extra images from the official art library etc. They tell the story but make it more interactive and concise.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
DadMom AngryPants said:
I'm certain they're nothing to do with Tokyopop. What they used to do in the SpongeBob magazine is just screen cap an episode and crudely turn it into a comic, which involved switching a couple of things around so that it made sense in comic form and fit within the number of allocated pages. Nowadays they do it a lot better. They still turn episodes into comics but they're much shorter and take a lot more liberties with switching things around, editing dialogue, using extra images from the official art library etc. They tell the story but make it more interactive and concise.
Well, in one of my older issues of SpongeBob Magazine UK it said in the big thank you this issue to:
" A big thank you this issue to: Amanda at TokyoPop."\
It said other people, too.

tEMMIE

hOI!!!
I also remember having the Culture Shock one.
There was another mistake.
Panel one: Mr. Krabs: GASP! (Just like in the episode, right?)
Panel two: Mr. Krabs: A customer! (In the "Welcome to the Krusty Krab!" line)
Panel three: Mr. Krabs: Welcome to the Krusty Krab! ( When he's delivering the customer to his seat.)
:fail:

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
patricknotstar said:
I always thought there was at least a couple mistakes in each one.
There was.

Okay, found a new mistake.

In "Gary Takes a Bath", it says New Boomerang Pet Toy instead of "New Boomerang Pet Ball."
He then says great and throws the box which hits him back, but then it shows him up again. They also skipped a part of this episode.

SandTaro05

I'm ready for 2015!
I never got any of these. When I found out about them, I was mad because they were just episodes in comic form. xD

I kind miss TokyoPop...I think I bought a Kingdom Hearts manga from them...

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
SandTaro05 said:
I never got any of these. When I found out about them, I was mad because they were just episodes in comic form. xD

I kind miss TokyoPop...I think I bought a Kingdom Hearts manga from them...
My sisters are into Animes and Mangas, so they would buy mangas from TokyoPop and lots of other companies.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan

Originally they used comics from Tokyopop. They only started making their own once they had ran out of Tokyopop comics to use

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
So many flaws..... ._.

I actually just found my Mistaken Identity Tokyopop book stowed away in a box right now. This makes me want to go back in and just laugh at the errors.

However, I will admit the concept was neat, and I do find it sad that the division was shut down in 2011....

cwn

Porous Freak
I don't think some of these were accidental, such as the one for The Great Snail Race. They obviously watched the episode, maybe they cut the off the ending due to lack of room for more slides.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
With "Karate Choppers" It's missing THE WHOLE ENTIRE FIRST 5 MINUTES. It just starts at the part when Sandy makes SB eat hot sauce. WAT? Other than that these flaws are acceptable by me.

Cosmic-Loop

♥♫ The Luigi Queen ♫♥
Far away from California and/or Florida :,(
If i remember, TokyoPop would sometimes have "oopsies" in the translated 'real' mangas XD

Like, i remember seeing completely blank/untranslated speech-bubbles...

...and then TP went out of business. :T

They also had a High School Musical cine-manga. I was like WUUUUUUUT EVEN

I have a few books from them and from other manga-translators, and also from what i hear- TokyoPop isn't exactly the best... But they did translate some great series! ;)

Back