Tibbitt

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
i guess this has something to do with spongebob

paul.png

paul's tweet

paul's tweet man

the fact that he realizes people seriously don't like him because they think he ruined spongebob

my heart

she is broken

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
Awwwww, I looked at his Twitter and you aren't kidding. That's just, gahh.

Dr. Peter Lankton

Giant Clam
[quote']
I hope he should be put under arrest and be send to court and state prison so that he needs to think about what he has done for one of our beloved characters!!
[/quote]
http://www.gopetitio...-spongebob.html

This is a fine example. Not only is this girl pathetic and heartless like most Paul Tibbitt haters, she's also nuts. :facepalm:

iPlankton

The Original Single-Celled Organism
Paul Tibbitt is a fine writer, in fact he wrote some classic, fantastic episodes. Yet it is no secret that SpongeBob SquarePants is much more of a kiddy show now. The animation is still fun, the characters are all there, the scenery and such all looks as good as ever, but it lacks the adult under(over?)tones and smart humor that made it what it was.

There's no problem with liking the newer stuff and there should really be no debate over it since it's so subjective, but it's very clearly a different show, from season 6 onwards. Of course there are some gems here and there.

That being said, I don't know where the problem is, if it was a conscious decision to write episodes for kids with little regard for the older viewers, or if a new crew came in and tried to write SpongeBob SquarePants episodes and just never wrote an episode with the same mindset as the first crew.

singing penny

Part Computer or Something
Aww man it isn't his fault at all, ALL cartoons start to change, and most people don't like change, so they blame it on the makers, they should be happy Spongebob is still here.
Besides, it gets harder and harder thinking of new ideas.

Plus, he was included in basically most of my favourite episodes. (Chocolate with nuts, Shell of a Man [It's now a favourite] Truth and Square, and heaps more)

In all fairness: Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, and Aaron Springer did a better job at ruining the series than Paul Tibbitt did.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
It is both depressing and amusing following Tibbitt on Twitter. Half of the people who talk to him are either rude or probing/unreasonable, but his responses are usually pretty funny. There was one a few weeks ago where somebody asked if the movie was going to be like Seasons 1-3, and he said, "No, it's only going to be about an hour and twenty minutes long".

Then there was the guy who asked him to make the movie in time for 2013 and the conversation went something like this:
"We can't make a movie in 9 months."
"Please."
"We can't."
"Please."
"Seriously, it's impossible."
"I don't understand."

Personally it would drive me crazy, but he handles it pretty well. :p

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
I think the last thing he should be doing is beating himself up by responding to these comments. The best thing to do is probably just ignore them unless they are constructive criticism.

SpongeBob does suck after season 3 though. :/

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
I think the last thing he should be doing is beating himself up by responding to these comments. The best thing to do is probably just ignore them unless they are constructive criticism.

SpongeBob does suck after season 3 though. :/

O_O I thought you were part of the getting better club... ::dolphin noise:: we lost another one

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
O_O I thought you were part of the getting better club... ::dolphin noise:: we lost another one
Hmm you see it's hard for me because I have tried to stay optimistic but really... SpongeBob is a different beast compared to 2002.

I am not very good at expanding on my opinion as has been brought up recently. But basically SpongeBob, as a show, as an entity, as a character, as a voice, as everything has changed. This is natural, of course. When you have a show that has many different writers, directors, a big break in the middle and so on. It will change.

I think though at this point that whilst I don't have an interest in new SpongeBob episodes, they can still improve upon them by bringing in smart writers or adding back an element of adult humour into the show.

What I've typed out just then probably looks very simplistic but if I was a bit more enthusiastic I might put some more time into my opinion, although I would probably just be doing a repeat of what I've already said. :/

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
Hmm you see it's hard for me because I have tried to stay optimistic but really... SpongeBob is a different beast compared to 2002.

I am not very good at expanding on my opinion as has been brought up recently. But basically SpongeBob, as a show, as an entity, as a character, as a voice, as everything has changed. This is natural, of course. When you have a show that has many different writers, directors, a big break in the middle and so on. It will change.

I think though at this point that whilst I don't have an interest in new SpongeBob episodes, they can still improve upon them by bringing in smart writers or adding back an element of adult humour into the show.

What I've typed out just then probably looks very simplistic but if I was a bit more enthusiastic I might put some more time into my opinion, although I would probably just be doing a repeat of what I've already said. :/

Yeah, I understand. The show is totally different than it was back in the day, but I guess since I'm younger I can bring myself to the new episodes because I don't have much memory of watching the pre-movie episodes, considering I was 5 when the movie came out, so I don't have an attachment to the older episodes. So, yeah, I understand you :p

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Yeah, I understand. The show is totally different than it was back in the day, but I guess since I'm younger I can bring myself to the new episodes because I don't have much memory of watching the pre-movie episodes, considering I was 5 when the movie came out, so I don't have an attachment to the older episodes. So, yeah, I understand you :p
I was only 7 when the movie came out! When SpongeBob started in 1999 when I was 3 :O I just watched them so much during that period between season 3 and the movie that I was disappointed when season 4 came round and they weren't as good.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Even though I'm 21 I didn't start watching SpongeBob with any regularity until my late teens. So although I do prefer the pre-movie episodes I don't really have as big a nostalgic attachment to them as other fans (or ex-fans) my age probably do. I was kind of late to the party. I think that's actually helped me in the long run because I never had to go through the "SpongeBob is suddenly so different" thing that drove a lot of the original fans away. It was already like this when I got here, if that makes sense.

Cha

I love SBM
Even though I'm 21 I didn't start watching SpongeBob with any regularity until my late teens. So although I do prefer the pre-movie episodes I don't really have as big a nostalgic attachment to them as other fans (or ex-fans) my age probably do. I was kind of late to the party. I think that's actually helped me in the long run because I never had to go through the "SpongeBob is suddenly so different" thing that drove a lot of the original fans away. It was already like this when I got here, if that makes sense.
Same thing to me. If anything I'm more connected to the newer episodes. When the original episodes came out I was still pretty young, the show started when I was two years old. Of course I remember premieres and watching them. But when the show turned to season 4, it didn't bother me much. I realized that some things had change, but I went along and enjoyed the newer episodes. So like you said, not being effected by the change has helped me too.

As for Paul Tibbit, I'm sorry that he gets all the blame, but I'm glad that he usually takes all his comments in a positive way. Believe me, back about a year ago for a short time I was unclear about the writing, in a sense I felt like Mr. Tibbit did change the show in a negative way. But now I realize that it isn't his fault, and to honest SpongeBob is still amazing. Season 9 makes me feel like it's another season 2 comparing wise. The way I look at is there are more post seasons then pre-movie seasons. So just take the newer seasons for what they are because they make up most of the show.

DJ Sponge

Future Miss Universe
*shrug*

I've not watched SB with any regularity since season 4. But I saw some newish episodes recently, and they made me laugh. So job well done.
I think those that are complaining, especially those that are going to the bother of messaging Tibbitt on Twitter, are probably mistaking their getting older and change of tastes for someone messing with their beloved show. They're better off moving on and going towards something they do enjoy. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Back