The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Things I Dislike About "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie"

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
SpongeRoadie UK said:
The only thing that disappoints me a little in the first movie is the lack of characters for the main plot. I get that SpongeBob and Patrick are the main characters but these sorts of "quest for x" journey, adventure-type plots desperately needs to have more than 2 characters. The story will get to certain points where all the action would stop because you can't have a journey where there's one monster for every 10 steps the heroes made. There will be moments where the story would vastly benefit from character interactions, differing opinions, sarcastic squid remarks, Southern sayings, or maybe a snail in danger to add more suspense to the action.

But to be fair, even with 2 characters, the movie was still engaging, though you'd be lying if you didn't spot moments where the writers are stretching some scenes out where it's not exactly needed. Something that wouldn't be necessary if there were more characters to work with. So I wouldn't say that I dislike the fact that there were only 2 main characters, I was just a little disappointed. It didn't ruin the movie but the movie would've been better with it.
Something I appreciate about this movie is that Patrick is used in a lot of dramatic/tense/sad moments. You don't see that a lot with the dumb comic relief character, and the artists/writers/voice actors pulled that off well. I still can't believe Patrick made me cry.

The Drifter said:
I agree with you except for point one. Although that is because I'm far more used with hearing the Indonesian dubbing, so I have no attachment with SpongeBob older original voice :P

I'm particularly annoyed with point 2 and 4. First, under use of Squidward. Besides how the movie only uses SpongeBob and Patrick, while simply pushing the main characters into talking props, I also thinks Squidward could have a greater role in the movie besides walking into Chum Bucket and get bucketed by Plankton. He's the first person to notice there's something wrong, and his first action is to talk directly at Plankton and ask him what the barnacles is he up to. Instead of immediately getting thrown under the bus just so they could showcase Plankton's plan, I imagine he should've escaped and became a more important supporting character for the rest of the movie. I mean, since the movie was written with the show getting cancelled in mind, they could've used this opportunity to redeem Squidward for his jerkish attitude in pre movie episodes.

And then the Neptune's change of design really came outta nowhere. Did they dislike Neptune's original design and tries to retcon it in the movie? Then why didn't they continue using the design during post movie?

And there's this personal point I dislike about the first movie: Plankton's characterization. In most pre movie episodes, Plankton's intention are always malicious, but he's still likeable and really not that jerkish. Then movie happens and the Plankton that appears is a complete exaggeration of normal Plankton. First, he literally become murderous dictator. Second, none of his moments are funny in any way. Third, his plan is depicted as going along too flawlessly, in the end he got foiled anyway, but his plans just works too nicely without something funny happening. In fact, he's less of character and more of a talking prop.
I disagree. Even in pre-movie episodes Plankton's actions could be downright despicable. Need I remind you that he cut out Spongebob's brain to use as his own personal slave- which probably meant dumping Spongebob's lifeless corpse somewhere? Also, the end of "F.U.N." Manipulating and toying with the emotions of a naive, emotionally fragile person, driving them to tears by betraying them. He may have his likable moments but he's not a good person.

TheChristmasWizard said:
Cause Mindy sucked
I actually loved Mindy. :/

MrTortellini00 said:
In all honesy, I like SpongeBob's newer voice more than the old one.
I like his voice in the pilot.

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
I'm actually happy Squidward was "underused" in this movie. He's the only character I hated in this movie. He was flanderized beyond belief. The fact that he wanted to KILL Spongebob... That's way over the line.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
yoshi34925 said:
I tear up at the near-death scene every time.
The weird thing is that as a kid, I didn't find the scene sad. But as an adult, I totally do.

The_Swedish_Spongebob_Fan said:
I'm actually happy Squidward was "underused" in this movie. He's the only character I hated in this movie. He was flanderized beyond belief. The fact that he wanted to KILL Spongebob... That's way over the line.
Squidward didn't want to kill Spongebob in this movie. What movie were you watching??!

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I wish they could've given Sandy Cheeks a bigger role in the movie. She is underused in this movie, much like Squidward was, although I find the character of Sandy much more tolerable most of the time. Squidward always seems to be annoyed with/angry with SpongeBob in most episodes, Sandy tends to tolerate SpongeBob's presence much more than Squidward (see "Tea at the Treedome", "Christmas Who?", and "Mooncation"), although Sandy does get annoyed/angry with SpongeBob and his friend, Patrick on occasion (see the episodes "Texas", "Sandy's Rocket", and "Survival of the Idiots").

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
SpongeBobfan1987 said:
I wish they could've given Sandy Cheeks a bigger role in the movie. She is underused in this movie, much like Squidward was, although I find the character of Sandy much more tolerable most of the time. Squidward always seems to be annoyed with/angry with SpongeBob in most episodes, Sandy tends to tolerate SpongeBob's presence much more than Squidward (see "Tea at the Treedome", "Christmas Who?", and "Mooncation"), although Sandy does get annoyed/angry with SpongeBob and his friend, Patrick on occasion (see the episodes "Texas", "Sandy's Rocket", and "Survival of the Idiots").
I think the reason that Sandy didn't get a lot of screen time was because she's probably the most balanced and sane character in the show. Her main flaw is her ego and her pride, but she usually keeps those in check- and when she doesn't, they're addressed in the episodes or played for laughs.

The movie was a coming-of-age story about, among other things, responsibility and bravery. Things that apply to Sandy as a character. The movie shoved Sandy and Squidward, the two most mature and balanced characters, to the sidelines to allow the immature goofballs to grow and develop.

FaLaLaLaLa Un-i-ver-rse

What year do I come back again?
[/quote]4) Neptune
Why did they change Neptune's design and voice actor? That was pretty jarring. It's not a HUGE complaint, but I was pretty fond of Neptune's appearance in "Neptune's Spatula." His more realistic design contrasted in an interesting way with the cartoonish citizens of Bikini Bottom.
[/quote]

This is a different Neptune than the one from Neptune spatula and the clash of triton. Plus, the first movie is the last thing in the spongebob timeline

Leedles

Leedle
4) Neptune
Why did they change Neptune's design and voice actor? That was pretty jarring. It's not a HUGE complaint, but I was pretty fond of Neptune's appearance in "Neptune's Spatula." His more realistic design contrasted in an interesting way with the cartoonish citizens of Bikini Bottom.
[/quote]

This is a different Neptune than the one from Neptune spatula and the clash of triton. Plus, the first movie is the last thing in the spongebob timeline

[/QUOTE]

>necessary bump

Tais

Banished
I agree with 2 and 5.

I think both Squidward and Sandy should have gotten some more use, and Patrick does deserve some credit, besides that "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie" was great.

iedasb

Crazy Artist
I've watched this movie some days ago, so...

I dislike this movie, it isn't really my favorite, along the second movie and episodes, and I'm a fan since the begining
- In this movie only Patrick and SpongeBob are main characters.
- Sandy is a background character.
- Squidward could have done something, but they decided to just hide him.
- Plankton isn't THAT bad, at least, from what I remember from seasons 1 -3 he didn't wanted to conquer to world, he just wanted the Krabby Patty formula.
- Neptune redesign.
- They created a lovable character, Princess Mindy, to never appear again in the series.
- They created a character that could appear again, because he was so cool, Denis, to never appear again.
- David Hasselhoff wasn't needed, wasn't funny, they could find another way to go back to Bikini Bottom, maybe Mindy could help again.
- SpongeBob's cute eyelashes almost never appear.
- The trailers was lying to me, at least me as a kid ;-;
- WHY Mr. Krabs would choose Squidward instead of SpongeBob???
- Ending, SpongeBob wasn't like that, why he acted that way with Squidward???

I think this movie didn't really needed to happen, what was love in past is turning into hate these days lol

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
In the first movie, here's one thing I didn't like: Too much screen time for SpongeBob, Patrick and Plankton, and not enough screen time for Sandy, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Gary.

Sponge Out of Water gave more of the main characters some screen time.

Back