The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Things I Dislike About "The Spongebob Squarepants Movie"

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
You guys pretty much know at this point that I HATED "Sponge out of Water," and I'm more or less constantly gushing about how much I loved the first Spongebob movie from 2004.

Well... I thought I'd do a list of things I dislike about this movie.

"The Spongebob Squarepants Movie" (2004) is still one of my all-time favorite movies, and it's probably in my top 5. I LOVE this movie! It's funny, charming, has great art/animation/drawings/acting, has a lot of great music, and is surprisingly touching and genuine.

That being said, there are things I don't like about this movie (GASP! I'M CRITICIZING SOMETHING I LIKE!!) and I thought it'd be interesting to do a list.

1) Spongebob's Voice
I have nothing but respect for Tom Kenny, and in this movie his acting was wonderful. He could be funny, he could be gut-wrenchingly sad, (seriously, I'm in my twenties and I STILL get choked up at his near-death scene,) he could sing pretty darn well. No problems there. My only issue is that Spongebob's voice in this movie is annoyingly high-pitched. This would carry over into post-movie episodes, which unfortunately don't have the same pathos and comedy as this movie.

2) Squidward's Under-Use
Squidward is arguably the most important character in the show aside from Patrick. He's a perfect foil to Spongebob and his episodes provide a great deal of the show's jokes AND the show's pathos. But in this film, he's reduced to a side character with little to do. This is one of the only things that "Sponge out of Water" got right.

3) Spongebob's Color
I actually really like the colors in this movie. My general impression of it, when I think about it quickly, are a lot of vibrant pinks contrasting with darker purples and blues, and it plays with lighting a lot to set the moods. This movie has a very nice color palette. However, Spongebob, the character, looks very saturated and a little too bright. Maybe that was intentional, to make his appearance in the "hangover" scene a lot more jarring. I'm not sure. But I'm not too fond of his color in this film.

4) Neptune
Why did they change Neptune's design and voice actor? That was pretty jarring. It's not a HUGE complaint, but I was pretty fond of Neptune's appearance in "Neptune's Spatula." His more realistic design contrasted in an interesting way with the cartoonish citizens of Bikini Bottom.

5) ...No Credit To Patrick?
Patrick is a character I didn't start to appreciate until recently. When used well, he's a REALLY good supporting character to Spongebob. Patrick is very impulsive and brash, and this aspect of his personality makes him contrast really well with Spongebob, who has something of an inferiority complex and often seeks reassurance from others. Patrick arguably worked just as hard as Spongebob in this movie, and without him, the world would be in ruins. In the scene when everyone cheers for Spongebob, no one gives any credit to Patrick. Not even Spongebob. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Oh well.

Well, that's about it. Feel free to post your comments and throw your tomatoes below.

TheuglyBarnacle

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Some of these things I disagree with. I really liked Spongebob's voice and color. I also liked how Patrick and Spongebob were really only used, because it made for a more emotional journey. If they used too many characters, it would have been unfocused.

PinkPearl

insert title here
I pretty much agree on everything here. I didn't like any of the colors used in the movie- everything was just super-saturated and bright. I would have preferred how they did it for the regular show. I also would have liked to see Squidward and even Sandy make more appearances- there were too many new, original characters and not enough of the favorites.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
His coloring is different depending on which version you watch
-The-Spongebob-Squarepants-Movie-spongebob-squarepants-17198682-1360-768.jpg
2703.png

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
TheuglyBarnacle said:
I also liked how Patrick and Spongebob were really only used, because it made for a more emotional journey. If they used too many characters, it would have been unfocused.
I do agree with this, and it's something I've come to appreciate a lot more wiht this movie.

JerryTheSnail said:
His coloring is different depending on which version you watch
-The-Spongebob-Squarepants-Movie-spongebob-squarepants-17198682-1360-768.jpg
2703.png
I have it on DVD and it's pretty saturated. Which version is the first screenshot from?

PinkPearl said:
I pretty much agree on everything here. I didn't like any of the colors used in the movie- everything was just super-saturated and bright. I would have preferred how they did it for the regular show. I also would have liked to see Squidward and even Sandy make more appearances- there were too many new, original characters and not enough of the favorites.
I kind of have to disagree here. I really liked the newer characters in this movie. I liked Mindy, I liked Goofy Goober, and Dennis, and I DID actually like Neptune's character. And I loved loved LOVED the cyclops, he's easily the most menacing villain we've seen yet.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
SantaCob said:
Lol patrick didnt do anything he just hung around with SpongeBob
He bought Spongebob a sundae to cheer him up after he'd been denied his dream job
He was the only one who stuck by Spongebob's side and didn't abandon him when everyone else did
He was the one who found their car after it had been stolen
He was the one who found the key to the car
He was the one who tried to carry on after Spongebob had given up
He was the one who discovered that they were in Shell City, thus giving Spongebob the stregnth to shed a tear of joy
He also tried to take care of Spongebob when they were both dying, putting Spongebob's arm back on him
He tried to stand up to Dennis when Spongebob was too scared to
He was the one showing off his sexy fishnet-clad legs in Spongebob's epic musical number

Patrick was the Sam to Spongebob's Frodo in this movie. Without Patrick, Spongebob would have just given up and wallowed in his depression while Bikini Bottom burned to the ground. Patrick's impulsive, dumb brashness was just what Spongebob needed.

in a way, Patrick's role in this movie almost comes across as a nice little call-back to his role in the pilot

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=woHC4oXF2C2Wftz3y9Zs3GujqTKe%2BBorvKQDDfw5CiI%3D

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
BabySmitty said:
I have it on DVD and it's pretty saturated. Which version is the first screenshot from?
Not sure, i just found it on google images.

I always wondered why Tom pitched his voice up for the movie. I guess it makes him sound more like a kid but his normal voice would've worked just fine.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
JerryTheSnail said:
Not sure, i just found it on google images.

I always wondered why Tom pitched his voice up for the movie. I guess it makes him sound more like a kid but his normal voice would've worked just fine.
I know.

The performance itself was fantastic, though. He brings a lot of pathos to that role, especially in this movie. He just ripped my heart out in this scene.

2207.png

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
BabySmitty said:
I know.

The performance itself was fantastic, though. He brings a lot of pathos to that role, especially in this movie. He just ripped my heart out in this scene.

2207.png
And a lot of his lines (including this whole scene) sounded like his normal voice.

todd phillips

Krabby Patty Burglar
even though though that is your opinion i liked the king neptune i wished that they kept the movie version an moved him to be the show version because i don't like the actual show version i thinks he's weak compared to the movie version and how could they forget about mindy?

The Drifter

Some person.
I agree with you except for point one. Although that is because I'm far more used with hearing the Indonesian dubbing, so I have no attachment with SpongeBob older original voice :p

I'm particularly annoyed with point 2 and 4. First, under use of Squidward. Besides how the movie only uses SpongeBob and Patrick, while simply pushing the main characters into talking props, I also thinks Squidward could have a greater role in the movie besides walking into Chum Bucket and get bucketed by Plankton. He's the first person to notice there's something wrong, and his first action is to talk directly at Plankton and ask him what the barnacles is he up to. Instead of immediately getting thrown under the bus just so they could showcase Plankton's plan, I imagine he should've escaped and became a more important supporting character for the rest of the movie. I mean, since the movie was written with the show getting cancelled in mind, they could've used this opportunity to redeem Squidward for his jerkish attitude in pre movie episodes.

And then the Neptune's change of design really came outta nowhere. Did they dislike Neptune's original design and tries to retcon it in the movie? Then why didn't they continue using the design during post movie?

And there's this personal point I dislike about the first movie: Plankton's characterization. In most pre movie episodes, Plankton's intention are always malicious, but he's still likeable and really not that jerkish. Then movie happens and the Plankton that appears is a complete exaggeration of normal Plankton. First, he literally become murderous dictator. Second, none of his moments are funny in any way. Third, his plan is depicted as going along too flawlessly, in the end he got foiled anyway, but his plans just works too nicely without something funny happening. In fact, he's less of character and more of a talking prop.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
The only thing that disappoints me a little in the first movie is the lack of characters for the main plot. I get that SpongeBob and Patrick are the main characters but these sorts of "quest for x" journey, adventure-type plots desperately needs to have more than 2 characters. The story will get to certain points where all the action would stop because you can't have a journey where there's one monster for every 10 steps the heroes made. There will be moments where the story would vastly benefit from character interactions, differing opinions, sarcastic squid remarks, Southern sayings, or maybe a snail in danger to add more suspense to the action.

But to be fair, even with 2 characters, the movie was still engaging, though you'd be lying if you didn't spot moments where the writers are stretching some scenes out where it's not exactly needed. Something that wouldn't be necessary if there were more characters to work with. So I wouldn't say that I dislike the fact that there were only 2 main characters, I was just a little disappointed. It didn't ruin the movie but the movie would've been better with it.

Leedles

Leedle
I cried 3 times during the movie...not even gonna lie...

When Spongebob didn't get the manager...

When they were dying...

And Spongebob's speech at the end...

Back