The Writer Analyzation Topic

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
After much Spongebob observing, I decided to observe the styles of each writer and storyboard director on the show. I've started by analyzing each storyboard director. Hope you guys like it! :D It took a lot of effort.

Storyboard Director Analyzation

Luke Brookshier- A fan of very light and visual comedy. In his episodes, he is at his best when the plot is simple and allows for a lot of jokes (Krusty Towers, That Sinking Feeling), but when it gets complex, his episodes suffer a bit (Funny Pants, etc.). In his episodes, Spongebob is very in-character, although his relation with Squidward can sometimes come off as irritating. His relationship with Patrick in Brookshier’s eps is usually played for laughs and sometimes sentimentality, and Patrick in his episodes is usually portrayed as a complete moron or simply a jerk. Brookshier is probably the most Pre-Movie esque writer behind Aaron Springer. His writing style makes him pretty much the Post Movie equivalent of Paul Tibbitt. He frequently uses continuity in his newer episodes. In his tenure on the show, he has paired with the storyboard directors Tom King (Seasons 4-5),

Nate Cash (Season 5-8) and Marc Ceccarelli (Season 8-present).
Nate Cash- He’s gone from the show now, but it’s nice to talk about him anyway. Cash is a big fan of bleaker comedy, with more a more somber tone to his episodes. Paired with Tuck Tucker at first, he was responsible for a few mediocre episodes (Best Day Ever, Waiting) but once he was paired with Luke Brookshier, he became one of the shows best storyboard directors, writing some of the best episodes of the show (Gone, Truth Or Square, To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants, That Sinking Feeling). Like Brookshier, he generally works better with simple plots. His characters are handled the same way Luke’s are handled, except he exaggerates Spongebob a little more. He left the show during Season 8 to become Adventure Time’s Creative Director.

Marc Ceccarelli- New guy, very new. Fresh off of writing for Phineas And Ferb, the guy was picked up on SB. He replaced Nate Cash after he left, and is Luke Brookshier’s storyboard directing partner. He focuses on silly but light humor, and he uses pain comedy a lot in his episodes. He is very prone for elongated scenes (the Spicy Bubble Scene in Bubble Troubles) and is a big reason why Patrick has regained a bit of intelligence (“Even I knew that was dumb.”-Patrick). He is honestly a big reason as to how the show returned to a more Season 4 esque style.

Casey Alexander and Zeus Cervas/Casey Alexander and Chris Mitchell/Zeus Cervas and Erik Wiese- Doing all these guys in one entry because they are very similar. Honestly, Casey and Zeus wrote better episodes before they were paired with each other. Mitchell and Alexander (Seasons 4-5) used emotions in their episodes (Patrick SmartPants is a great example) and used odd comedy. Randomness was a big feature in their episodes and the pacing was consistently off. Wiese and Cervas were a very good team. They wrote episodes in a very Pre-Movie style (Dunces And Dragons, etc) although they had a few stinkers (All That Glitters). They used a lot of elongated jokes in their episodes (Spongebob’s crying and the “No” gag in “All That Glitters” for example). After Mitchell and Wiese left the show, Cervas and Alexander were paired together.

This resulted in one of the iffiest directing teams in the show’s history. Cervas and Alexander’s first episode was Friend Or Foe, which was an effective mix of their styles. However, from then on, their quality fluxuates drastically with each episode. Despite the fact that, on the surface, they seem to be a light, comedy oriented team, scratch a bit beneath the surface, and the two are actually a bit sadistic and realistic in their writing/direction. There’s not a lot that makes them feel distinct, but sometimes, they are very good directors. Home Sweet Rubble and Bucket Sweet Bucket are perfect examples of their best works. They use gross-out a lot in their episodes. Cervas and Alexander are also frequent users of meta-jokes, wordplay, and they also change Spongebob’s shape in many of their episodes. Mr. Krabs is at his cheapest in many of their episodes, Squidward is at his most irritable, and Spongebob and Patrick are at their dumbest most of the time. They exaggerate a lot. In some cases, it works (No Hat For Pat) and sometimes it doesn’t (The Cent Of Money). They rarely use emotion in their episodes.

Aaron Springer- Hoo boy. Aaron Springer is the only storyboard director to have written/directed an episode in every season since the beginning. He evolved in style from the first season to the third, and became one of the show’s best writers. He storyboarded some parts in the movie, and those were good. After the movie, Aaron’s Season 4 work was pretty good; He wrote one of the series’ best episodes- Where’s Gary. For the rest of his time through Seasons 4-5, as the show began to take a nosedive, Aaron’s episodes stayed fresh among the stinkers. After that, Aaron Springer’s work itself took a giant nosedive.

Before Season 6, Aaron Springer wasn’t very distinctive, aside from the fact that he always had hilarious parts of randomness in his episodes (PatBack, etc). He was also a fan of wordplay (“But the success of the Krusty Krab didn’t just pop overnight! Because the restaurant closes at 8.”, etc.). His directing habits were nowhere near as distinctive as they are now. However, come Season 6, Aaron Springer began to use gross-out comedy in his episodes, include pointless, overlong, and unfunny sequences in them, and he would employ incredibly odd sketches of the characters.
He would draw Spongebob with cheeks when the cheeks were not supposed to be there, as shown in this picture:
)

Springer would also give him incredibly feminine and close together legs as shown in this picture.
)

Springer also overall made Spongebob look a little weirder. He has toned these elements down In his more recent episodes, however. Aaron is at his best when he writes episodes that are montages (Krusty Krab Training Video) or ones that involve character development (Pourous Pockets, Have You Seen This Snail, Something Smells, etc). He has proven to be a good writer, but there is a lot wrong with his style. I’d say that Penny Foolish is where his odd habits came to a head. Spongebob in his episodes is prone to act more feminine or even homosexual at points (“Wow, Squidward, you look beautiful.”). Patrick isn’t stupid as much as he is oblivious in Springer’s episodes. Mr. Krabs is annoyingly cheap in his episodes,, although he can sometimes resemble the old father figure he is supposed to be. He handles Gary episodes rather well. He uses the scientist Sandy a bit too often, but aside from that, he handles her very well. He is also notable for being one of the only storyboard directors to not have a permanent partner.

I am currently analyzing the staff writers and hope to have my thoughts up on them in the coming week. Your thoughts?

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Can't believe no one has replied to this! This is AMAZING. Jibs, you're a future mod :magicwink:

Jibs, I will so read this after school, but now I have to get ready. School should die in a pit of fire. :D

This is so awesome and detailed! :thumb1: Very accurate descriptions of all of these writers!

And I agree, analyze us members! :p

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
This ... is ... amazing!
I wondered where Marc Ceccarelli came from; he just seemed to appear one day. I guess they had to make up numbers since Banks left. Speaking of which, do we have a new head writer yet? Do they mention that in the credits of new episodes? (It's impossible to tell nowadays because Nick likes to scrunch them all up at the bottom whilst the episode is still playing so nobody can read them).

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
I guess they had to make up numbers since Banks left. Speaking of which, do we have a new head writer yet? Do they mention that in the credits of new episodes? (It's impossible to tell nowadays because Nick likes to scrunch them all up at the bottom whilst the episode is still playing so nobody can read them).
I actually don't know the answer to this question. :p Banks' last episode was For Here To Go, which was near the tail end of Season 8, so I imagine he remained the head writer until the end of 8. I'm unsure for 9, though. If Govenator has started production, Steven Banks has probably left, and Season 9 has a new head writer, or, Steven Banks is doing both shows at the same time. Or it's possible that Govenator hasn't started production yet, and Steve is still the head writer for SB. I can't read the credits anymore either, so I wouldn't know. :p

LeElephantMonster

Moby Dollar
Jibbix you did an excellent job and I enjoyed reading your post! You have inspired me to look into the writers and etc. Keep doing awesome posts :)

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Well, I finished analyzing the staff writers. Hope you guys like.

Staff Writer Analyzation

Dani Michaeli- He started off as a writer for South Park, and came to Spongebob in the Fourth Season. His first episode was Bummer Vacation. He is notable for writing incredibly simple and smaller scale plots (Money Talks, Hide And Then What Happens, etc), although sometimes he does go for adventurous episodes (Frozen Face-Off, Squidtastic Voyage). He usually employs simple comedy in his episodes, and it’s usually very clean. A lot of times, his plots can suffer from being too ambitious (Atlantis SquarePantis, Dear Vikings), and he is generally at his best when he outlines plots that are funny and simple (Treats, Oral Report, Drive-Thru, Hello Bikini Bottom). In his plots, Spongebob generally has a normal level of intelligence, Patrick shifts from being normal (Spy Buddies) or incredibly stupid (Hide And Then What Happens). A recurring element in his episodes is that Patrick never fails to be hilarious in them. Squidward, however, gets more abused than usual, and Mr. Krabs is incredibly cheap in his plots (The Cent Of Money). I don’t think he’s written an episode without Sandy as a scientist, actually. The comics he writes for Spongebob reflect all of these qualities. He’s also a fan of Mermaid Man And Barnacle Boy episodes.

Derek Iversen- Despite the fact that I’d go so far as to call him the best staff writer on the show now, Derek Iversen started off incredibly boring. He’d been a sound engineer production assistant since the first season, and he managed to become a writer in the Sixth Season. His first episode was Nautical Novice. This was a sign of things to come; Iversen is pretty much the only writer who does Boating School episodes anymore. Iversen has the characters portrayed in character, almost to a T (except for in Demolition Doofus). He generally tried to change the status quo in his episodes before returning to normal (Nautical Novice, Ghoul Fools, Not Normal, etc.). Over the course if his time on the show, Derek evolved, and soon became the show’s best writer. His earlier, more boring (but still well written) wave of episodes ended after Sponge-Cano, and gave way to a wave of well written, interesting, and funny episodes.

He is one of the few writers that still writes Boating School episodes nowadays (Nautical Novice, Hot Shot, Demolition Doofus, Summer Job, etc). He is fond of Adventurous stories (A SquarePants Family Vacation, Bubble Troubles, Wreck Of The Mauna Loa, etc) and sometimes character development (You Don’t Know Sponge). His episodes feature characters in their original personalities, except for Squidward, who gets abused a little too much in his episodes (Sponge-Cano, Bubble Troubles, etc). Derek Iversen has evolved very much in his tenure on the show.

Richard Pursel- Mr. Pursel was originally a writer on Ren And Stimpy. He did some other work for John K before deciding to write for Spongebob. He came on to the show in Season 5, and his first episode was Fungus Among Us. Richard, like Cervas and Alexander is a very iffy man. He has stated on multiple occasions that his favorite character is Gary, so the majority of his episodes involve him in some way (Fungus Among Us, Pet Or Pests, Home Sweet Rubble, Pet Sitter Pat, A Pal For Gary etc). He uses very bleak comedy in his episodes (BlackJack, A Pal For Gary) and gross out constantly (Fungus Among Us is the prime example). However, when Richard Pursel isn’t focused on Gary torture or gross out, he’s a fantastic writer. His best episodes are the solid, non gross ones. Home Sweet Rubble, Bucket Sweet Bucket, etc. are some of the very best in their Seasons.
Pursel generally writes simple plots. He makes Spongebob incredibly naïve (Pal For Gary), makes Patrick a Deus Ex Machina (In Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom, he shows up twice simply to throw a wrench into the plot) and makes Patrick pretty dang stupid (Pet Sitter Pat, etc.). He also makes Sandy a bit naïve, and Squidward is abused a lot in his episodes. He is also fond of Karen and Plankton episodes (Komputer Overload, Karen 2.0). Mr. Krabs is generally handled fine in his episodes. His best episodes would be Home Sweet Rubble and Chum Caverns.

Mr. Lawrence- I would dip into Mr. Lawrence’s history, but it should be known by now. Writer on Rocko, voice of Filburt. Writer in SB, voice of Plankton. Stopped writing in Season 2, came back in Season 7. He seems to have a fetish for Pineapples, oddly. He generally writes very light and funny plots. In his earlier days, his writing was very dark compared to the other styles at the time (Welcome To The Chum Bucket, Graveyard Shift, etc.). Lawrence is notable for starting a lot of the trends in Spongebob: He wrote the first Boating School episode, the first Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode, the first Plankton episode…..He just started a lot of things for the show.

Despite the fact that he is a writer, his episodes are very visual in nature (Face Freeze, Graveyard Shift and I Heart Dancing are prime examples). As said before, his episodes are pretty light. Sometimes, however, his episodes can get completely sadistic (One Coarse Meal) or other times, completely insane (Procrastination, InSpongeiac, Face Freeze). Spongebob is generally well meaning and gets embarrassed in Lawrence’s episodes. His Patrick isn’t a complete idiot, but he is still stupid. Squidward doesn’t get abused too much, even in Squidward focused episodes (Fiasco). Mr. Krabs can be a little meaner in his episodes, too (InSpongeiac). Mr. Lawrence’s pre movie episodes were great, but his post movie ones are a mixed bag. He can write great ones (Model Sponge, I Heart Dancing) and truly bad ones (namely One Coarse Meal, and arguably Face Freeze). Lawrence is a pretty good writer.

Paul Tibbitt- Paul was a storyboard director in the first three Seasons (probably wrote some of your favorite episodes: Chocolate With Nuts, Secret Box, Spongebob Meets The Strangler, Nasty Patty, etc). After the movie, he stopped directing and became a staff writer. He’s only written 9 episodes in his Post Movie tenure, and I’d like to analyze him solely as a writer for now, so….. Tibbitt is a good writer. His plots are moderately small scale and Pre-Movie esque (but that’s a given). Emotion is a constant factor in his episodes (Have You Seen This Snail, Shell Of A Man, etc.). His work with Steven Banks is okay as well, but it’s not as good as his solo plots. His characters are almost always perfectly in character (except in Restraining Spongebob, where Patrick was overtly silly) and Tibbitt is a fan of Spongebob focused plots. His episodes are always good, with the exception of Clash Of Triton, which was a case of “Too Many Cooks Spoil The Broth” (six writers was really unnecessary).

Steven Banks- Banks technically worked on Spongebob during the pre-movie days. If you walk into a store and notice a few old kiddie Spongebob books, Banks wrote a lot of those. Stop The Presses, Spongebob Meets The Princess? Banks wrote them. He was also the head writer for Jimmy Neutron. Despite these things, Banks actually adapted well to actually working on the show. Banks operates on the same scale the Pre-Movie writers operated on: Small. Banks writes very small scale stories. His plots have a set beginning and end, and a lot happens between these points, but the scale stays very simple (A Friendly Game or Wishing You Well are good examples). His first episode was Funny Pants.

Banks is notable for being inconsistent. He writes episodes like Truth Or Square, Krusty Towers and Gone like it’s nothing, but then writes atrocities like the Splinter. Banks is also a fan of taking things literally jokes (happens in so many episodes it’s not even funny: Once Bitten, Spongebob’s Last Stand, Big One, Krusty Towers- and that’s just scratching the surface). Banks has said that a good Spongebob story is silly and simple, and this seems to be what he adheres to. A lot of his episodes have a very special feel (The Play’s The Thing, Spongebob’s Last Stand, etc). Banks’ plots employ major gross-out at times (Once Bitten, The Splinter) and can be majorly sweet at times (Truth Or Square, mainly). Banks handles characters pretty well. He is noted for being one of the first writers to bring science into Sandy’s persona. His Spongebob is work dedicated and a little naïve. His Patrick is pompous and annoyingly stupid at times, though he can be funny (The Card). Squiddy is abused in his episodes to a reasonable degree. Mr. Krabs is generally nicer and more down to earth in plots penned by Banks. Plankton is also similar to his pre-movie personality. Banks also likes episodes where Krabs and Plankton are friends for some reason (Friend Or Foe, New Leaf, Best Frenemies, etc). Banks is also the head writer of the show.

Hope you guys like that. Soon, I'll tie up some loose ends (analyzing Sean Charmatz and Vincent Waller for example) and then describe which directors work best with which writers. Should be fun! :D Again, I hoped you guys liked this.

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
Kaz! Don't forget Kaz! He wrote some of the most influential episodes!! :O

Oh and Jibbix, you are a genius ;)

Back