Pinned thread The Water Cooler

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
FinnDinner said:
Uh yes, they say playing on Wii U VC is actually faster than regular N64, but there are frame rate speedups in Chapters 4 and 5 that kill runs, and that's like an hour and a half in.

I'm guessing you play on original because you use the controller, is there a reason you don't play VC for MK?
Ah yeah all the old games run faster on VC since there's no lag
For full game runs of MK64 (and some other games too like SM64), we basically just don't allow VC because of that. Pretty much just community choice. For us it's more about the history and competition so it's nicer to be able to compare to super old runs and how far we've come if improvements aren't just from the game being played on a less laggy version. So basically lag reduction strategies just become part of the runs.
Although for time trial stuff, it's in game timer so you can use Wii VC for that.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
abney317 said:
Ah yeah all the old games run faster on VC since there's no lag
For full game runs of MK64 (and some other games too like SM64), we basically just don't allow VC because of that. Pretty much just community choice. For us it's more about the history and competition so it's nicer to be able to compare to super old runs and how far we've come if improvements aren't just from the game being played on a less laggy version. So basically lag reduction strategies just become part of the runs.
Although for time trial stuff, it's in game timer so you can use Wii VC for that.
Oh so you guys want to be like fair to the older runs? Dang I mean if you wanted to optimize it, but yeah I guess paying respect to history is always nice. Happy PM has no rules like that, no offense.

Also another pro about Wii VC, you get to play with a GC controller, I don't know if MK64 feels better with one, but PM definitely does.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
FinnDinner said:
Oh so you guys want to be like fair to the older runs? Dang I mean if you wanted to optimize it, but yeah I guess paying respect to history is always nice. Happy PM has no rules like that, no offense.

Also another pro about Wii VC, you get to play with a GC controller, I don't know if MK64 feels better with one, but PM definitely does.
MK64 is pretty bad with GC controller. Depends on the game though
The lag thing I guess is more about just having consistent competition. Since all of the top players prefer to drive on N64, it works out better to compete with the top players for the full game runs too. I know in a game like super mario 64 there is a lot more skill involved in running on N64 because you have to manage your camera to reduce lag and MK64 has similar stuff but it's not as critical.
So really we're just optimizing the "original" game.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
abney317 said:
MK64 is pretty bad with GC controller. Depends on the game though
The lag thing I guess is more about just having consistent competition. Since all of the top players prefer to drive on N64, it works out better to compete with the top players for the full game runs too. I know in a game like super mario 64 there is a lot more skill involved in running on N64 because you have to manage your camera to reduce lag and MK64 has similar stuff but it's not as critical.
So really we're just optimizing the "original" game.
I get it, you guys prefer it, and not being fair to history is just a side bonus. Question, is no skips basically glitchless? They mean the same, but you just call them skips? I get why, but glitchs anywhere skip things, I guess it makes MK64 original I guess. I bet you guys could still manipulate other things along the run.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
FinnDinner said:
I get it, you guys prefer it, and not being fair to history is just a side bonus. Question, is no skips basically glitchless? They mean the same, but you just call them skips? I get why, but glitchs anywhere skip things, I guess it makes MK64 original I guess. I bet you guys could still manipulate other things along the run.
Not exactly. There are glitches that are used.. although minor.
No-skips more closely goes along with the "non-shortcut" time trial rules that are described here: http://beckabney.com/mk64/rules.html
For example this is allowed in no-skips: http://beckabney.com/mk64/finishlineglitch.png

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
abney317 said:
Not exactly. There are glitches that are used.. although minor.
No-skips more closely goes along with the "non-shortcut" time trial rules that are described here: http://beckabney.com/mk64/rules.html
For example this is allowed in no-skips: http://beckabney.com/mk64/finishlineglitch.png
Oh, so no-skips is like for the entire thing? while non-shortcut is like for time trials only? Sorry I only skimmed through it. If both of them let you do some glitches, is there a glitch less category?

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
FinnDinner said:
Oh, so no-skips is like for the entire thing? while non-shortcut is like for time trials only? Sorry I only skimmed through it. If both of them let you do some glitches, is there a glitch less category?
There is no glitchless category for full game runs since there are barely any that you could do anyways. So it's just skip (shortcuts) and no-skips (non-shortcut)

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
abney317 said:
There is no glitchless category for full game runs since there are barely any that you could do anyways. So it's just skip (shortcuts) and no-skips (non-shortcut)
Well I mean in Paper Mario some categories have few glitches yet we still run glitchless, I don't know seems like something for new people to get into, but I understand why you guys don't do it's very few and far between.

I am just used to Paper Mario where there are many categories for one goal, whilst you guys have a few different objectives with like 2 or 3 different categories for those objectives.

MK is more free in that sense, I mean you don't see categories for one chapter of Paper Mario, which is one thing that makes MK more open for other people, you should try getting more people to do it here on SBM, there's an audience.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I love this quote because it applies to everyday life. I've tried living this way since High School.

lBoi2Ss.jpg

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
ghosts_of_all_goblins said:
Yes, they are. Here's the hoping that the third movie will be just as good.
Isn't it supposed to be a spoof on It's a Wonderful Life? Sounds pretty interesting, for SpongeBob at least.

Growlie

Best Boy
I need good opinions on this, nobody on DeviantArt answered this so I feel like I have to bring it here.

Please try to ignore that it's a Scooby-Doo thing.

I've been thinking about my final Scooby-Doo idea and wondering rather or not to work more on it to where I could post it.

It's inspired by that creepy Twitter story, The Sun Vanished. Hopefully you know about it. Or listened to the story. I plan to listen to more.

Anyways, what I'm doing is making a Scooby-Doo version however, eventhough it's inspired I don't want to continue this without having the reassurance that I'm not stealing someone's elses story. Even if it's inspired by the story. What do you think? Are you ever inspired by someone's story and wanted to make something similar?

Back