The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I recently rented the DVD from Netflix

I will admit I don't entirely hate the film and think it's better-quality than the show (probably due to being the "series finale")

I also feel SBSP needed to end after this movie like Stephen Hillenburg originally intended

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
it's so cool to see the messages made before the move came out, people where so hyped

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Oh boy. Don't mind me, just trying to figure out how I'm going to write this review lol. Because if you've been looking at my episode reviews, you'll know I love going through episodes moment by moment. That simply won't work here. Because today we're reviewing The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, a real childhood classic, and one of my favorite movies of all time. So let's see how we're going to do this today.

Well first, I want to talk about one of my favorite things about this movie, and I think that will lead into the rest of the review nicely. And what I like about the movie is how well it balances feeling like the show, while also feeling like its own thing. See, if it feels too much like the show, then it's like "why are we having a movie in the first place, this is unnecessary", but if it strays too far from its source material, then it's like "well this isn't SpongeBob at all!". But the movie avoids this problem nicely, in my opinion. It makes itself relevant by giving itself a big adventure-filled plot with higher stakes, something that wouldn't quite fit into a regular episode. However, it also stays true to its SpongeBob roots by utilizing the same type of humor, and staying true to the characters. SpongeBob's entire arc in this movie about not wanting to seem like a kid, but then embracing his inner child anyway, is peak SpongeBob SquarePants, as I always say when the line between adult and child is played with.

Another thing I really like about this movie is its design in all fronts. The animation style is clean and emulates the SpongeBob look well while being its own thing. The backgrounds in this movie are also gorgeous, like I could definitely sit here all day and discuss some of the amazing world design when SpongeBob and Patrick are traveling. The character designs in this movie are also excellent. And then there's just other pieces of design I like too, like the Thug Tug or the Patty Wagon. Man, I love the Patty Wagon a lot lol. And then, of course, there's the music. The BGM is great as always, and one cannot discuss this movie without talking about the Goofy Goober Theme Song, Now That We're Men, Goofy Goober Rock, or, of course, Ocean Man.

This movie is extremely, extremely nostalgic for me. I mean, I watched it all throughout growing up. I also remember that one of my computer wallpapers used to be that funny close up of SpongeBob and Patrick when they see the Patty Wagon, like this. Probably the biggest reason this movie is nostalgic for me is because ever since I was really little, like learning-how-to-read little, I had this SpongeBob book with 4 stories in it, and one of them was an abbreviated version of the dream SpongeBob has at the beginning. That book is one of my most prized possessions, so makes sense that it makes me very nostalgic for this movie.

I think all the characters are done really well in this movie. The only downside is that there are a lot of characters that don't get very much screentime, like Sandy or Mr. Krabs. But the ones who do get a lot of screentime are great. I like that SpongeBob has an actual arc in this movie, which helps give the movie purpose. Patrick is also excellent here, being amazing comedic relief. Squidward is pretty good for the short time he's here as well. Plankton is amazing in this movie, being the perfect villain, and I love Dennis too because of how menacing he is for most of the movie. There's so many great characters, and I don't have time to get into them all! Man, reviewing movies is hard.

SpongeBob and Patrick dying makes me cry (not actually, but the vibes you know?) every time. This is a great example of how to add emotional weight to your cartoon movies lol.

And then, of course, this movie is just extremely iconic. We'd be here all day if I sat down and talked about every single line and moment that made the movie for me, so I'll try to keep it brief: The entire dream sequence, "Yeah!!! Better luck next time buddy!", "BALD BALD BALD", "You don't need a license to drive a sandwich", the entire scene at the Thug Tug, SpongeBob and Patrick "dying", David Hasselhoff, all of Goofy Goober Rock, "I was just gonna tell you that your fly is down!", and of course, the entirety of Ocean Man. There's a lot more that I missed, but like I said, I wanted to keep things brief. However, I will go ahead and get into one of these.

Spoiler alert, it's Ocean Man. The ending of this movie is one of the most satisfying things of all time. And knowing that this movie is supposed to be the end of the "canon timeline", whatever that means in a show like SpongeBob SquarePants, makes it even better. I will never be a stickler for canon in this show, but this is one thing I won't budge on. This is the end of the series for me. SpongeBob getting hired at the beginning of the show, and becoming manager of a branch location at the end, that's just perfect. And don't twist my words, I'm not saying I don't consider seasons 4+ to not be part of the show. I'm just saying that all of those episodes take place between "Help Wanted" and this movie. And I will hear nothing else. Anyway, the credits of this movie are also just something so very wholesome, with SpongeBob enjoying his time as manager while also doing all the duties he did before. It's adorable. If the show ended here, I wouldn't have been mad, but I'm glad it did go on after this, because there's so much more to talk about.

So I've never actually reviewed a movie before, and it doesn't feel right scoring it the way I score episodes. So I won't. I will give it a tier though, just so everyone knows where exactly I stand on this movie. I also just wrote this whole review when I probably shouldn't been doing something else so now I'm gonna go do the stuff I should've been doing. Until season 4!

Movie Tier: Amazing

Back