The Spongebob Squarepants Movie vs The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie vs The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

• Total voters

Spider-man

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Which do you feel was the superior movie? Why? Personally, I would choose the former. I thought it was funnier and had a better ending.

pumpkin_pips

Part Computer or Something
SOoW is great but I pick first movie because:

The soundtrack- the flaming lips are amazing
The score- much more memorable
The story- less out of control/confusing

But I may be nostalgia-blind though.

Whatsittoya

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I really love the new movie but it still doesn't have that charm that was present on earlier SB seasons. I can't describe it. I know the continuation of Season9 will be a great one though.

BongeSpob

Floating Shopping List
I did really like SooW and the first movie will always hold a special place in my heart, but I'm gonna go with SooW, why? I found it funnier because of its weirdness and I DON'T want to look like I'm blinded by nostalgia, that or I just found SooW better...

TheuglyBarnacle

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The first was better because it felt a lot more complete, epic and emotional. If SOOW had a better climax, I'd say SOOW would have been almost on par with the first one

IAmBagel

it keeps happening
First movie. It's plot was more straight-forward and did a better job handling the emotional stuff. SOOW isn't far behind, though.

ZaneDrake

Imitation Krab
I love both, but one major problem with the first one is that they just really underused the characters. Sandy says more in the trailer for the second one then she does in the whole first movie. On top of that they introduced new characters to fill roles that were already filled in the show, like another King Neptune, and the pirates at the beginning who have the exact same role as Patchy. Sure, the second movie had new characters, but ones that they needed to introduce because no previous characters from the show could fill the roles they had. In the newer film all of the main cast do stuff.
:salute:

ScumBob

sicko m0de
SOoW > The SpongeBob Movie

It was funnier, had better animation, had more references, much more light-hearted and silly (Like SpongeBob is supposed to be), and it was an overall swell experience. The first movie gets too much love.

Spider-man

Flying Dutchman's Sock
SpongeCob said:
SOoW > The SpongeBob Movie

It was funnier, had better animation, had more references, much more light-hearted and silly (Like SpongeBob is supposed to be), and it was an overall swell experience. The first movie gets too much love.
Really? I actually think the original had better animation. I dunno why.

iedasb

Crazy Artist
SOoW is a bit better, at least for me.
Well, the first movie had a better soundtrack, and the story of the movie is very cool aswell.
But not all the characters get good roles, only Pat and SB.

The second movie has a good story, all main characters good good roles, and Super Heroes, man how I love seeing a non super hero character becoming a Super Hero...
But to be honest, I like both movies, I would rather waste 2 hours and half watching both than watching only one.

Equal love to both! <3

ScumBob

sicko m0de
yellowshdow said:
Soow is love
Soow is life

Enough said

COME AT ME NOSTALGISTS!
Um... no. I wanna stay far away from you.

Spider-man said:
Really? I actually think the original had better animation. I dunno why.
I just don't consider choppy movements with flat colors as "better animation". It doesn't bother me, though. It could just be my terrible frame-rate.

TheuglyBarnacle

Bomb-Selling Pirate
SpongeCob said:
I just don't consider choppy movements with flat colors as "better animation". It doesn't bother me, though. It could just be my terrible frame-rate.
The first movie's animation had perfect frame-rate. I saw the original when it came out in theaters and it was great! Also I think SOOW had better animation, but the reason why I liked the first movie's animation better is because the first movie made all the characters look very different than they did on the show. They had this smaller, more adorable feel, that translated well into the medium of film. SOOW for a good chunk of the movie had Spongebob looking like his season 9 self, while obviously having a lot more depth, shading and color. When SOOW comes out on DVD, then we will see which one is better.

Growlie

Best Boy
The aspects of Sponge out of Water, just made sense. If they're in our world, they shouldn't still be a bright, animated cartoon. The cgi, now that I look at it, makes much more sense if they're in our world.

The first movie, didn't enjoy it really, the colors, too bright and colorful. A... completely different... uglier Neptune secondly. I will always love the original King Neptune (The first original King Neptune, is the only one I'm using for Fanfics, notably Cephalopod Quest.) as his design is more of that mythical, Roman god style. Lastly, that guy acts, totally normal when seeing SpongeBob and Patrick for the first time. I just don't know, seeing something like that scene in real life would have to have another response to make sense. I mean, cartoon characters, in our world, that's just freaky. Sponge out of Water did it right.

ScumBob

sicko m0de
Growlie said:
The aspects of Sponge out of Water, just made sense. If they're in our world, they shouldn't still be a bright, animated cartoon. The cgi, now that I look at it, makes much more sense if they're in our world.

The first movie, didn't enjoy it really, the colors, too bright and colorful. A... completely different... uglier Neptune secondly. I will always love the original King Neptune (The first original King Neptune, is the only one I'm using for Fanfics, notably Cephalopod Quest.) as his design is more of that mythical, Roman god style. Lastly, that guy acts, totally normal when seeing SpongeBob and Patrick for the first time. I just don't know, seeing something like that scene in real life would have to have another response to make sense. I mean, cartoon characters, in our world, that's just freaky. Sponge out of Water did it right.
Another reason why I believe this film is superior. Except for the last part. They could have explained it better

Back