The SpongeBob Musical is closing on Broadway September 16th. (A national tour will follow)

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/theater/spongebob-squarepants-broadway-musical-closing.html

The Palace Theater is renovating and apparently (tho not said by the producers) its underperforming financially. It closes on September 16th. In better news, fans who have wanted to see the show but couldn't get to NY will now hopefully be able to see it and not have to take a trip to the city and pay for expensive tickets.

(I'm personally hoping this means nick will do a dvd or bluray release. I'd buy it.)

My Waifu
EmployeeAMillion said:
That’s a bummer. I was hoping there’d be a world tour so I could see it officially, but I’m happy it was so acclaimed.
lmao they never said they weren't doing a world tour. Just the national tour is next (like most broadway shows).

Supmandude

Squog
Sad, but I hope this does mean a professionally recorded version will be released. I got to see this a few months ago and it was AWESOME!!! I’m not a huge musical fan, but I am a huge SpongeBob fan and it had great songs, great story, great acting, and great humor, so it was a lot of fun to see!!!

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
It always sounded too overbearing for me, I never liked these musical theater performances just because of how "Broadwayish" they felt. I'm sure that's good thing for some people, but I just can't find myself seeing it as that great, so I end up not feeling too sad about it. This is all speculation, and if it really is awesome feel free to prove me wrong, but it's just a little too tacky for my tastes.

My Waifu
Also just a anecdote I keep forgetting to bring up on here. But did you notice that there's barely any discussion of this musical post launch and that the musical's fanbase is obviously different from the show.

member 9373

i'm going to be seeing it live in august!! if you're unable to see it live there's actually a full boot of it unlisted on youtube. i would post the link but i'm not sure if that's against the rules or not. i'm honestly absolutely in love with it and i really can't wait to actually see it in person!!

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Also just a anecdote I keep forgetting to bring up on here. But did you notice that there's barely any discussion of this musical post launch and that the musical's fanbase is obviously different from the show.
That is definitely something that’s made me a bit less down about its closing. I remember a thread about that one raging fangirl, but otherwise yeah, it seems like it’s its own entity split from the TV show, which comes with its pros and cons.

TattleTale Strangler

Normality Impaired
I would love to go see this musical! Maybe I’ll have to team up with the fam and get tickets to see it. It’s a shame that it’s not on Broadway anymore, but the musical will still continue to be enjoyed by fans across the nation. :) Hopefully a world tour will be coming soon!

abney317 said:
There's an auction going on for backstage pass to one of their last shows on broadway.. pretty expensive starting bid though at $500 :P
https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/2-tickets-to-spongebob-squarepants-broadway-musical-in-1604600
spongebob-wallet-0.jpg

Back