Sponge Out of Water The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

dubbi

Radical Wumbologist
Very excited about the positive reviews, might just see it tonight, at a late screening so as not to be surrounded by little kids and their parents.

11th

Moby Dollar
OH, by the way, more of a technical concern than something with the story and such, but did anyone else feel like the camera pans during the 2D sequences were too smooth? It could have just been the way that the theater plays things since a similar thing happens with some TVs for me, but it was almost like they did them at a higher frame rate instead of matching the animation at 30(24)FPS.

Supmandude

Squog
Question:

Some of the reviews criticize the movie for having puns and lowbrow humour. Is it the kind of dumb humour we've always known and loved and therefore as fans wouldn't have a problem with (FINLAND!-type stupidity and Patrick running away with his pants around his ankles) or worse than that? Do you think the jokes were a similar level of sophistication (well ... un-sophistication) to the first movie?
The fart and poop jokes for the most part are not actually a character farting or pooping, they're the characters being immature themselves and making a joke about something that sounds like a fart or making a pun on Bikini Bottom, calling it Dirty Bottom. I think there were only two of those in the film.

The other ones are with the seagulls and they're no where near as constant and the reviews made them sound. I think there were two I sort of rolled my eyes at, but they're over before you even have the chance to comment on how stupid they were and they've already gone onto something way better by that point. The jokes for the most part are everything you'd expect from SpongeBob, those seagulls will probably be a slight annoyance that's easy to look past for most.

BrickSponge2015 said:
MADMOM
No, the jokes were way more un-sophisticated than the first movie, but not in an immature way. There are some fart jokes and stuff, but in general it's a lot more trippy and less serious than the first movie... which isn't a completely bad thing. ALSO THEY LEFT THE BABY'S "SPANGHBAHOB" IN OMG YES YES YES YES YES
Also, appearently that's Steve Hillenburg's voice. Which explains why they didn't get a real baby and will hopefully make one of the most hated scenes become one of the most loved scenes. :D

BrickSponge2015 said:
Just a question: I guess I missed it, but when did Patrick say
"Finland!"?
Near the beginning with the food fight.

You don't even have to use drugs to enjoy this movie because it's already trippy and action-packed and I LOVED IT!!!!

Grade: A (No joke)

This has to be one of the best things that happened to me in a while. I'm serious. The movie impressed me a lot and it was a lot better than most of reviews said. There's so much to talk about actually. Hmmm, lets start with the story.

First of all, the story was just another "steal the formula" story and It really feels like I'm watching a SpongeBob special but there's some really stuff that the show hadn't even used. First of all, all characters going on land. Yeah, we saw that in Pressure but here we actually see the characters meeting humans and that was really cool. There's some really trippy stuff in it like time travel, Bikini Bottom going to apocalyptic, the part with the dolphin, a human being the main antanoginist and the magic book thing. Those were pretty creative. It's not the most well-written thing that the show has ever done but still the story has original stuff in it and I really don't have anything anagist at the story, except that we didn't see the part when Burger Beard got the secret formula by writing that he got it on the magic book but that's just a minor flaw. The weird thing about the movie is that %60 of it takes places in underwater and a few stuff in the trailer like Slash or two girls talking about how our heros got musclular didn't take place in the movie but I blame Paramount Animation for this because them promoted the movie.

Characters in the movie are actually in their character (not completely but still) with a few stuff that we don't normally expect from the show. SpongeBob is still nice and friendly (also he kept Squidward's six packs, which was a sweet and funny moment) but also serious at some points, Patrick is jerky but in a funny way and they didn't go to far with this, Squidward is still the squid that doesn't care about a crap or praise himself, Mr. Krabs is greedy but he still cares and Plankton is evil genuis. What I didn't expect was that Sandy going on nuts about religious stuff and that's weird since she is a scentist but I liked how they used her that way. She was funny when she was on nuts but there's still stuff that she is still the same squirell we know. Also Plankton's last part in the live-action scenes were unexpected. I mean I knew Plankton was going to be back to normal but that happens at the end of the movie and what happened in live-sction surprised me. Also the status quo thing works because this takes place before the movie, so it's understandable why they didn't want Plankton to change but If there weren't new episdoes that will come out in June and this was a sequel, I would definetly want him to become a good guy. Oh and SpongeBob and Plankton interacting was something that I was looking forward to see in the movie and it didn't disappoint. When there was some slow scenes in the movie, Plankton and SpongeBob interaction made everything up and it made no boring parts at all in the movie. Their interections were fun to see. Plus they singing was cool to see and a great reference to F.U.N. episodes.

Like I said before, there are more 2D animation in the movie and that was actually satisfying to see, even though Paramout lied to us and spoiled some live-action stuff (plus If %60 of the movie wasn't going to take place in out of water, why It was named SPONGE OUT OF WATER FOR GOODNEDD SAKE!!!). 2D animation here was really colorful and character designs are cool, plus 3D glasses works for the 2D animation too, so I gave animation directors of the movie a huge credit. Character's CGI designs were cool and fights in live-action were really well-done. Also Antonio Banderas's action was pretty great. So yeah, this CGI/live-action movie is better than any cartoon movies that were live-action/CGI mixed adaptions.

The enjoyment of the movie was well-done. There was probable one or two scenes that I was bored or annoyed in the movie. Rest was just fun. The action parts in live-action and 2D, Bikini Bottom going down, the bike scene, the teamwork song; all of them were enjoyable, Not the mention time-travel sub-plot in the movie was excellent. It was trippy, it was bizarre and I loved it. I love trippy sequences in TV shows or movies and trippy sequences we got here was awesome, even more than the nightmare in Squidward's Clarinetland.

The humor in the movie was for the most part was great (though the enjoyment was better). There were a few jokes that I didn't like such as the running gag of Plankton not saying "teamwork" correctly, SpongeBob's laugh torturing Plankton but most of them were funny. The reviews said there were fart and poop jokes in the movie but don't worry. There were like 3 or 4 of those in the movie and those parts were separate and the poop jokes were got were 2 and there weren't bothersome because one of them was from seagulls and a lot tv shows make jokes like these, so it wasn't bothersome and the other poop joke was Squidward inking but I can let it slide because they use his ink to write the last page that they become superheros. I won't mention funny parts of the movie but there were a few that I can mention like the part when Squidward was in a lady back (an adult joke, HAPPY? :P ), the conversation between future Plankton and past-SpongeBob, the tiny piano gag (it was in the trailer but what part they used was totally unexpected and hilarious) and some parts with Patrick.

There were a few references to old episodes like F.U.N., Sailor Mouth, Rule of Dumb and Spongehenge and those were pretty cool. I'm glad there weren't so many refences though because that would lower the humor.

There were some heart in the movie too like Plankton saying sweet things to Karen, Plankton giving the secret formula to Krabs in live-action scenes and SpongeBob keeping Squidward's six packs and i'm glad to see those moments in it.

There are a few nit-picks though like Karen was actually forgotten after Bikini Bottomies going to sacrifise SpongeBob and the way Burger Beard got the formula wasn't seen and there were a few annoying moments here but those don't ruin the grade, I gave to the movie.
Overall, this movie became one of my favorite animated movies now and it was better than what I heard in some critic reviewers and a few audiences in the trailer (they were kids and their parents surprisingly, I respect their opinions though). Surprisingly though I actually enjoyed watching this more than the first movie but this one and the first movie were actually a tie to me. While, this movie used more characters and this movie was more enjoyable, the first movie is almost flawless (with the exception of SpongeBob being more childish than pre-movie era and lack of other main characters), the plot was more well-written and it was a perfect way to end the franchise (unfortunatley Nickelodeon got greedy and started making some infamous episodes ). If Hillenburg wrote this masterpiece with Paul Tibbit, then I'm pretty sure him returning to focus on SpongeBob more will make redeem the show for it's future. I can't wait for the new era.

Piper

Moby Dollar
SB_DW_Fan said:
You don't even have to use drugs to enjoy this movie because it's already trippy and action-packed and I LOVED IT!!!!

Grade: A (No joke)
Reading that was like I was having an eye massache. :thumbsup:

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
I have to wait 'til next weekend :handshake:

BrickSponge2015 said:
MADMOM

No, the jokes were way more un-sophisticated than the first movie, but not in an immature way. There are some fart jokes and stuff, but in general it's a lot more trippy and less serious than the first movie... which isn't a completely bad thing. ALSO THEY LEFT THE BABY'S "SPANGHBAHOB" IN OMG YES YES YES YES YES

Just a question: I guess I missed it, but when did Patrick say
"Finland!"?
Ok i don't need to watch it nvm 10/10

Tstarr

I'm not a Krusty Krab.
Just saw it. This and the first one felt like complete opposites from each other. What the first one did well, this one not so much, and what the first one didn't do so well, this one did. I think this one is more entertaining and has more funny jokes, (I haven't laughed that hard at Spongebob in years honestly.)

-The first one had a pretty good plot that felt movie quality. This one is like Whobob Whatpants except funnier and not mean spirited.
-First one didn't have characters like Sandy or Squidward do much. This one gives them much bigger roles.
-Plankton is the villain in the first one. This one, he actually assists them.
-The first one you can see why it was made. This one, I can't see the reasoning honestly.

There are some things I was honestly worried about going into it. How would they be able to breathe above land? Why would Squidward care about the formula? But they did answer these questions.

I think if you don't care too much about a plot, the movie's perfectly fine, and I would still recommend it to Spongebob fans. The plot's not bad, but it's not the best either. But what redeems it for me is that I do want good humor out of seeing something Spongebob related, and I did get that.

I give it a B+.

Just saw it. This and the first one felt like complete opposites from each other. What the first one did well, this one not so much, and what the first one didn't do so well, this one did. I think this one is more entertaining and has more funny jokes, (I haven't laughed that hard at Spongebob in years honestly.)

-The first one had a pretty good plot that felt movie quality. This one is like Whobob Whatpants except funnier and not mean spirited.
-First one didn't have characters like Sandy or Squidward do much. This one gives them much bigger roles.
-Plankton is the villain in the first one. This one, he actually assists them.
-The first one you can see why it was made. This one, I can't see the reasoning honestly.

There are some things I was honestly worried about going into it. How would they be able to breathe above land? Why would Squidward care about the formula? But they did answer these questions.

I think if you don't care too much about a plot, the movie's perfectly fine, and I would still recommend it to Spongebob fans. The plot's not bad, but it's not the best either. But what redeems it for me is that I do want good humor out of seeing something Spongebob related, and I did get that.

I give it a B+.
I think they breathe because of dolphin's head hole made them survive, I guess

The Dark Knight

Fashionabluh
Holy cow howdy folks. This is the movie that's going to bring me back into the fandom I can feel it in my bones.
Holy cow though Bubbles for galactic ruler of everything. Plankton and Spongebob working together! Sandy's hero mode! SQUIDASAURUS.
And don't get me started on the animation of it all though oh goodness. So many in-jokes and it was just....this movie felt like SpongeBob again. The CGI was....I mean it was good but what they did with the 2D and how they basically had so much fun with it, I just....wow that was so good.

Supmandude

Squog
Here's my full review:

I saw The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water yesterday. Was it as good as the first one? It's really hard to say at this point. This one delivers on a few things the first one lacked, such as seeing our favorite characters like Sandy Squirrel and Mr. Crab with a bigger role and I also think it was funnier than the first, but I'm not sure if it's actually better or not. This one had a little bit of emotion in it, but it was nothing compared to the dying SpongeBob and Patrick in the first movie. There is a really cool little scene between SpongeBob and Plankton that emotional scene fans will enjoy, though.

The plot for this movie was sort of all over the place, which sounds like a bad thing, but I think it was intentionally done that way and I think it plays super awesome! I've heard some reviewers say kids will be confused, but I think they underestimate the ability of children to focus, there's really nothing too confusing about this film at all. It's easy enough to follow, just convoluted in the way it was told. Not in a bad way, though, I think you guys will like it.

One thing I was worried about was that they advertised the CG scenes so heavily that kids would just be wondering the whole time when they were gonna get there. I can honestly say that I highly doubt kids will be wondering that the whole time. I was so engaged in the movie, I almost forgot they were supposed to go to dry land at all in it and was just focused on what was happening. It was also so good that it made the entire running time seem so short, when the 2D scenes ended it felt like the whole thing was 5 minutes to me, but it was about 70. They say "time flies when you're having fun" and it couldn't be more true here. This movie felt so short.

The CG scenes were also good in my opinion. I've liked most of the trailers and clips so, I don't know how much my opinion on that is going to matter, but I'll say that (excluding a few poop jokes), the cringey scenes that some people were complaining about are all things we've already seen before. (And even the poop jokes were over before you knew it and not that bad.)

The super hero scene actually went on for a decently long time. I never felt too much like it was dragging, but it was longer than I felt it needed to be. I didn't mind its length, but it is something that some people might not care for. I think if it had been marketed to leave the super heroes as a surprise, the scene would have felt a lot shorter, but it wasn't a huge deal.

The animation in this was AMAZING by the way. Both the hand drawn and the CG looked fantastic, but I gotta say the hand drawn was a little better. It's so great to see traditional animation on the big screen again and it looks fantastic! One thing I was worried about from the trailers is that there wouldn't be enough hilarious drawings or funny facial expressions as the first movie. I can honestly say having seen the whole thing, there are just as many if not more of those hilarious faces. I can't wait to get this movie on Blu-Ray and screencap some of them. There are so many profile pic worthy faces here that I want to pause on.

Story: 10/10

Characters: 10/10

Jokes: 10/10

Animation: 11/10

Overall: 9999999999999999999999999/10

Conclusion: THIS MOVIE IS EVEN BETTER THAN WATCHING THE TOENAIL SCENE ON LOOP FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sandy Squirrel and Mr. Crab
What about Squidwart Tortellini? Or Patpr*ck or SpongeBoob?

Supmandude said:
One thing I was worried about was that they advertised the CG scenes so heavily that kids would just be wondering the whole time when they were gonna get there. I can honestly say that I highly doubt kids will be wondering that the whole time.
weird because after half of the movie was finished, some kid at the theatre said he doesn't like the movie so far and his parent said "maybe it'll get better when they become superheros" or something like that. So the kids know what's going on :P

Supmandude

Squog
SB_DW_Fan said:
weird because after half of the movie was finished, some kid at the theatre said he doesn't like the movie so far and his parent said "maybe it'll get better when they become superheros" or something like that. So the kids know what's going on :P
Meh, that's one kid. I think most will like it. ;)

11th

Moby Dollar
I know that they (the production crew) were saying that it's a challenge to come up with longer stories, but I keep thinking about how this film could have been longer than it was with what they did come up with. If there was ten more minutes to work with they could have had some more transitional scenes in that would have helped with the pacing and maybe buildup.

Supmandude

Squog
SB_DW_Fan said:
Lol I've heard a few kids disliking it tooo but wutever
Where? I can't imagine most kids that actually watch the show would be let down. The kids in the theater I was in liked it, but it only one group of kids, the rest of the people there were about my age. Still think it'll be big with it's target demographic. :)

Where? I can't imagine most kids that actually watch the show would be let down. The kids in the theater I was in liked it, but it only one group of kids, the rest of the people there were about my age.

At the theater, I was there :P

Supmandude

Squog
SB_DW_Fan said:
At the theater, I was there :P
Meh, we'll see what the overall reaction from kids is. I'm hoping and expecting it will be positive. All I can say for a fact is that if you went back in time and showed this to a 9 year old version of me, I would have loved it even more than I do now. :P

Meh, we'll see what the overall reaction from kids is. I'm hoping and expecting it will be positive. All I can say for a fact is that if you went back in time and showed this to a 9 year old version of me, I would have loved it even more than I do now. :P
lets just agree that the movie was better than most critic reviewers said.

Back