Disney The owl house: series review (Completed)

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
A Lying Witch and a Warden

this episode is a really weird one, because it's nothing like any episode of the series, the humor is different, the pacing is different, the characters act different, it feels like an entirely other show, but I'd say it's a great pilot. this episode also has my favorite line in the whole show the whole ''weirdos stick together'' sequence

overall thoughts: great pilot, not as good as amphibia's pilot tho

episode score: 8/10

Witches Before Wizards

this episode is amazing. unlike Anne, luz the protagonist of the owl house, was hated back on earth, everyone thought she was weird, she always wanted to escape into a fantasy, and she thought that this world is her escape from all her troubles, but she realizes that this world isn't like her fantasies and she has to live with the fact that the world isn't just rainbows and unicorns

overall thoughts: Miles better than the pilot

episode score: 10/10

I Was a Teenage Abomination

I personally loved the episode: great introduction to Luz’s friends and Amity. Plus I like Eda and King’s dynamic over who’s the best teacher!! It was so adorable.

overall thoughts: loved it

The Intruder

it's really fun, it introduces Eda's curse, which plays a big role in future episodes

overall thoughts: great episode

Covention

I really need to know who animated that fight between Eda and Lilith. That was honestly better quality than the entirety of some 2D animated films I’ve seen in theaters. It also helps that the episode surrounding it was wonderful too. We got some fantastic development regarding Amity and silly King shenanigans. I just wish Willow and Gus got to do more during this episode. they felt somewhat underutilized here. Otherwise, I can’t complain.

overall thoughts: amazing episode

Hooty's Moving Hassle

I gotta say, I'm disappointed with how Gus is being used as just comic relief. Our boy deserves some respect! Other than that, I felt this was a good episode.

episode score: 9/10

Lost in Language

This episode was absolutely fantastic! I'm so happy we got to see more of Amity in this episode, and how her life is like outside of school. Frankly I am not surprised the siblings turned out to be bad-- I've seen enough of these kind of shows to know to be wary, so right off the bat I didn't trust them, before they even finished speaking for the first time practically lol.

overall thoughts: i loved everything about this

Once Upon a Swap

I don’t think it’s a bad episode of television by any means. Just not up to TOH typical standard. Felt very “we’re obligated to do this because executives said kids like a body swap episode.”

overall thoughts: meh

episode score: 2/10

Something Ventured, Someone Framed

Eda and the principal were good this episode, glad that i didn't misjudged the principals character. He really is a reasonable authority figure.(other than hiring a brainwashing monster and too easily triggered hall monitors)

overall thoughts: great episode, i loved the ''abomination lie'' joke

Escape Of The Palisman

Unlike a lot of people who are going to complain about this episode, I thought it was good. I like the lore in this episode, it really helps give the universe more depth. More on Eda’s curse and a backstory on the bat queen.

episode score: 9.2/10

Sense and Insensitivity

I liked Luz's reactions a lot more in this one. She was genuinely excited and then genuinely hurt, but still came to wish King well. also luz defending shipping is so funny

overall thoughts: really good

Adventures in the Elements

One line of dialogue I loved in this episode: after Luz messes up with Amity's wand, and her siblings and Eda are captured by the monsters, when she blocks Luz in the magic barrier so she can go to save them alone, she says "You'll only get hurt". This simple line makes a lot of difference, you can see how Amity is starting caring much for Luz, even thought she messes up. That's very strong writing.

overall thoughts: amazing

The First Day

I'm so happy that this show continues to be ridiculously entertaining with this wonderful little episode. It's nice to know that Viney and Jerbo weren't one-sided jerks like we saw in the initial introduction to Amity's siblings and both of them had understandable motivations for being in the Detention Track, it really gave them a believable edge that isn't easy to accomplish in a kids show.

episode score: 9.6/10

Really small problems

I was humbly surprised by the fact that I walked into this episode thinking it was just going to be a sub-par King-centric episode. I liked that the motivation behind his mischief this time around felt a lot more genuine. (Compared to the book episode, where he outright acts like a jerk for a good portion of the episode.) It was also really sweet that the reason he wanted to hang out with Luz, at the cost of her friends shrinking, was because of his awareness of Luz's temporary status in the Boiling Isles. A great reminder that, once again, nothing is forever. Definitely my favorite King episode we've gotten so far!

overall thoughts: amazing king episode

Understanding willow

Amity's parents weren't as horrible as I expected them to be but they still suck. Based on what happened at the end, I hope Amity will defend Willow more often from Boscha and her crew. Also, Luz's crying face after Willow and Amity reconcile was me to a T. Probably the best episode of the season so far.

overall thoughts: my favorite season 1 episode

Enchanting Grom Fright

This episode is awesome!!!!! Spectacular animation! Incredible character development! Memorable and captivating scenes! really nice music! Great voice acting! It's amazing to see how much the characters have progressed, and how they still have to learn! Some funny jokes and clever writing. After this episode, (and the rest of the episodes) I can safely declare this show as the true successor of gravity falls!!!

episode score: 10/10+

Wing it Like Witches

This is one of the most entertaining episodes on television! This episode is so much FUN!!! The jokes are great, and it's awesome to watch all the different ways they use magic. It also developed the relationship between the characters really well, and had a nice b plot.

episode score: 9.8/10

Agony Of a witch

Um...wow. What else can be said really? The first half of the season finale is easily some of the darkest and most intense material I've seen in a kids show in a very long time-I'm actually somewhat surprised Disney allowed an episode like this to be made, what with the absolutely bone-chilling presence of Emperor Belos (in an amazing guest turn by Matthew Rhys) and the sheer emotional insanity of the climax.

overall thoughts: one of the best episodes of the show

Young Blood, Old Souls (season 1 finale)

This episode was really strong in many departments. The action and animation was great as usual, with the fight with Emperor Belos having some very creative choreography. The tension was high the whole episode because not only does the viewer care about Eda's fate, but the way the characters are acting reflect the gravitas of the episode. Despite this, there was still room made for some great humor, with my favorite joke being Luz and King getting arrested by stepping on grass. I could see how this could be taken as mood ruining, but I think it just keeps the situation from being unbearably grim. Also there were some very nice emotional moments like Eda telling Luz to go back to her world and King saying Eda was his family.

overall thoughts: perfect episode

Separate Tides (season 2 premier)

this season fixes every problem i have with season 1, the episode is really fun, and the pirate kinda reminds me of mr krabs I don't know why, luz still blames everything on herself, she needs some therapy

overall thoughts: Too good

Owl Pellets

these YouTube shorts are really good, they're animated just like the show, and have a bunch of great jokes, when i saw clips of it online, i thought it was from an episode

overall thoughts: amazing shorts

Short score: 10/10

Escaping Expulsion

This episode was jam-packed with a lot of good stuff. We finally get introduced to the Blight parents and while Odalia's personality wasn't surprising, I didn't expect Alador to look so done with life and spaced-out. I got a kick out of his child-like fascination with butterflies (and Frewin's tail).

Echoes of the Past

I like to think this is the Owl House version of a bottle episode. There's only four voice actors, not too many changes of scenery

overall thoughts: good

Keeping up A-fear-ances

Amazing how they made my opinion of Lilith go from "eh she's alright" to "omg I love her" to one of my favorite characters in just 4 episodes. She brought a ton of wholesome moments to a comic relief character that almost never gets genuine wholesome moments. I'm really gonna miss her.

Through the Looking Glass Ruins

Man it's just hit after hit this season isn't it? I'm really enjoying the development we're getting of the characters. Gus finally got his time in the spotlight and it was amazing. Didn't expect the Glandus kids to be such jerks though and Matholomule to be less so. As a big fan of horror, that last illusion was such a big plus for me.

overall thoughts: i loved it

Hunting Palisman

I'm never going to dismiss something as filler in this season again because man, this episode had everything. We got some lore, we learned about demons, King got powers, we find out more about Eda, and got that diabetes inducing bit with Lumity.

Eclipse Lake

belos is a horrible person, and i hate him, or love hate him

overall review: amazing episode

episode score; 9/10

Yesterday's Lie

Poor Camilla, she found out that she's been harboring a fake Luz for months and that her daughter was staying in a land full of demons and witches all in one day. That scene in the rain though, that was painful. I do hope that she also destroyed that video footage of Vee.

overall thoughts: SO GOOD!

Follies at the Coven Day Parade

I knew that Kikimora redemption wouldn't work out, but they had me fooled for a little bit. Surprised to see anything about Kikimora's background as minute as it is, but it really did develop her quite a bit. Belos' face reveal felt like a YouTube video ngl

Elsewhere and Elsewhen

Wow Philip was a real creep, made it all the more satisfying to see Lilith sucker punch him in the nose! She picked up on his similar mannerisms to Belos right away, though it makes sense she wouldn’t jump to conclusions.

overall thoughts: liked it very much

episode score: 7/10

Any Sport in a Storm

i really like this one. willow gets so much character development, and i like how both hunter and willow are regarded as half witches

overall thoughts: LOVED IT!

episode score: 10/10!!!!

Reaching Out

I am sick to death of all these Alador apologists. Yes, he is the lesser of two evils compared to Odalia. I'll give you that. But he was still on her side by having Amity break off her friendship with Willow AND did nothing to stop Odalia during "Escaping Expulsion" when it seemed like she was going against the Blight family name. Yeah, he's still not a great guy regardless of how he isn't as bad as Odalia.

overall thoughts: THAT ENDING THO

episode score: 1000/1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hollow mind

Luz throwing her jacket in an attempt to save Hunter was sooo good and dramatic! And then Hunter saves her back with a pile of glyphs he doesn't know how to use LMAOOO I love that boy. His panic after escaping broke my heart, but it was definitely understandable. Luz on the floor and tearing up while confronting Belos, too. Actual shivers.

overall thoughts: this kids need therapy, especially hunter

episode score: 10/10!!!!!!

edge of the world

Well this was heartbreaking. We start off with Luz absolutely destroyed by everything that happened last episode, and Eda also breaking down because of the mess she kinda got Luz involved in. I honestly was pretty shocked when "Terek" was NOT King's dad, and even more shoked to find out King was a titan all along. i seriously thought that theory had died half a season ago. kudos to Dana and the crew for pulling off that bait and switch. The end was also incredibly sad, King's little hello at the titan (probably his father?) destroyed my heart. Also no way guys Bill Cipher in The Owl House real?!?!? lmao.

overall thoughts: when king said ''i want to go home'' i died inside

Labyrinth Runners

one of my favorite episodes, I don't know why i love it so much i just do, i love the character development between hunter and Gus, and how their friendship grows

overall thoughts: the owl house, more like the good house

O Titan, Where Art Thou

probably one of luz's best episodes, she just feels so depressed, she started as the optimistic main character which makes it so sad to see how the boiling isles changed her

episode score: 10/10 again

Clouds on the Horizon

Crikey!

overall thoughts: Perfect episode

King's Tide (Season 2 finale)

Whoever decided to include Gus sobbing on the ground like that,
Made me remember that he was the youngest in the bunch, he was just talented which is why he can stand toe to toe with them. It really just makes you sink down more

overall thoughts: this episode broke me

Thanks to them (season 3 premier)

OMG THAT WAS SOOO GOOD WHAT THE HECK

OVERALL THOUGHTS: PERFECT

EPISODE SCORE: 1000000/10000000

For The Future (season 3 second special)

a perfect way to conclude luz's arc, i love how they concluded her arc now to have the finale focus more on the action and emotional beats, great episode better than ''thanks to them''

overall thoughts: TOO GOOD FOR DISNEY

episode score: 10000000000000000000000000/10000000000000000000000000

Third and final special (season 3 finale)

T.B.D

Last edited:

PinkPugPrincess

Baby Patrick Star
Staff
A Lying Witch and a Warden

this episode is a really weird one, because it's nothing like any episode of the series, the humor is different, the pacing is different, the characters act different, it feels like an entirely other show, but I'd say it's a great pilot. this episode also has my favorite line in the whole show the whole ''weirdos stick together'' sequence

overall thoughts: great pilot, not as good as amphibia's pilot tho

Witches Before Wizards

this episode is amazing. unlike Anne, luz the protagonist of the owl house, was hated back on earth, everyone thought she was weird, she always wanted to escape into a fantasy, and she thought that this world is her escape from all her troubles, but she realizes that this world isn't like her fantasies and she has to live with the fact that the world isn't just rainbows and unicorns

overall thoughts: Miles better than the pilot

I Was a Teenage Abomination

I personally loved the episode: great introduction to Luz’s friends and Amity. Plus I like Eda and King’s dynamic over who’s the best teacher!! It was so adorable.

The Intruder

it's really fun, it introduces Eda's curse, which plays a big role in future episodes

Covention

I really need to know who animated that fight between Eda and Lilith. That was honestly better quality than the entirety of some 2D animated films I’ve seen in theaters. It also helps that the episode surrounding it was wonderful too. We got some fantastic development regarding Amity and silly King shenanigans. I just wish Willow and Gus got to do more during this episode. they felt somewhat underutilized here. Otherwise, I can’t complain.

Hooty's Moving Hassle

I gotta say, I'm disappointed with how Gus is being used as just comic relief. Our boy deserves some respect! Other than that, I felt this was a good episode.

Lost in Language

This episode was absolutely fantastic! I'm so happy we got to see more of Amity in this episode, and how her life is like outside of school. Frankly I am not surprised the siblings turned out to be bad-- I've seen enough of these kind of shows to know to be wary, so right off the bat I didn't trust them, before they even finished speaking for the first time practically lol.

overall thoughts: i loved everything about this

Once Upon a Swap

I don’t think it’s a bad episode of television by any means. Just not up to TOH typical standard. Felt very “we’re obligated to do this because executives said kids like a body swap episode.”

overall thoughts: meh

episode score: 2/10

Something Ventured, Someone Framed

Eda and the principal were good this episode, glad that i didn't misjudged the principals character. He really is a reasonable authority figure.(other than hiring a brainwashing monster and too easily triggered hall monitors)

overall thoughts: great episode, i loved the ''abomination lie'' joke

Escape Of The Palisman

Unlike a lot of people who are going to complain about this episode, I thought it was good. I like the lore in this episode, it really helps give the universe more depth. More on Eda’s curse and a backstory on the bat queen.

episode score: 9.2/10

Sense and Insensitivity

I liked Luz's reactions a lot more in this one. She was genuinely excited and then genuinely hurt, but still came to wish King well. also luz defending shipping is so funny

overall thoughts: really good

Adventures in the Elements

One line of dialogue I loved in this episode: after Luz messes up with Amity's wand, and her siblings and Eda are captured by the monsters, when she blocks Luz in the magic barrier so she can go to save them alone, she says "You'll only get hurt". This simple line makes a lot of difference, you can see how Amity is starting caring much for Luz, even thought she messes up. That's very strong writing.

The First Day

I'm so happy that this show continues to be ridiculously entertaining with this wonderful little episode. It's nice to know that Viney and Jerbo weren't one-sided jerks like we saw in the initial introduction to Amity's siblings and both of them had understandable motivations for being in the Detention Track, it really gave them a believable edge that isn't easy to accomplish in a kids show.

episode score: 9.6/10

Really small problems

I was humbly surprised by the fact that I walked into this episode thinking it was just going to be a sub-par King-centric episode. I liked that the motivation behind his mischief this time around felt a lot more genuine. (Compared to the book episode, where he outright acts like a jerk for a good portion of the episode.) It was also really sweet that the reason he wanted to hang out with Luz, at the cost of her friends shrinking, was because of his awareness of Luz's temporary status in the Boiling Isles. A great reminder that, once again, nothing is forever. Definitely my favorite King episode we've gotten so far!

overall thoughts: amazing king episode

Understanding willow

Amity's parents weren't as horrible as I expected them to be but they still suck. Based on what happened at the end, I hope Amity will defend Willow more often from Boscha and her crew. Also, Luz's crying face after Willow and Amity reconcile was me to a T. Probably the best episode of the season so far.

overall thoughts: my favorite season 1 episode

Enchanting Grom Fright

This episode is awesome!!!!! The best of the show thus far! Spectacular animation! Incredible character development! Memorable and captivating scenes! really nice music! Great voice acting! It's amazing to see how much the characters have progressed, and how they still have to learn! Some funny jokes and clever writing. After this episode, (and the rest of the episodes) I can safely declare this show as the true successor of gravity falls!!!

episode score: 10/10+

Wing it Like Witches

This is one of the most entertaining episodes on television! This episode is so much FUN!!! The jokes are great, and it's awesome to watch all the different ways they use magic. It also developed the relationship between the characters really well, and had a nice b plot.

episode score: 9.8/10

Agony Of a witch

Um...wow. What else can be said really? The first half of the season finale is easily some of the darkest and most intense material I've seen in a kids show in a very long time-I'm actually somewhat surprised Disney allowed an episode like this to be made, what with the absolutely bone-chilling presence of Emperor Belos (in an amazing guest turn by Matthew Rhys) and the sheer emotional insanity of the climax.

overall thoughts: one of the best episodes of the show

Young Blood, Old Souls (season 1 finale)

This episode was really strong in many departments. The action and animation was great as usual, with the fight with Emperor Belos having some very creative choreography. The tension was high the whole episode because not only does the viewer care about Eda's fate, but the way the characters are acting reflect the gravitas of the episode. Despite this, there was still room made for some great humor, with my favorite joke being Luz and King getting arrested by stepping on grass. I could see how this could be taken as mood ruining, but I think it just keeps the situation from being unbearably grim. Also there were some very nice emotional moments like Eda telling Luz to go back to her world and King saying Eda was his family.

overall thoughts: perfect episode

Separate Tides (season 2 premier)

this season fixes every problem i have with season 1, the episode is really fun, and the pirate kinda reminds me of mr krabs i dont know why, luz still blames everything on herself, she needs some therapy

overall thoughts: Too good

This review is great so far! I can't wait to see more!

Myles Sparklighter

Studying silence to learn the music
I have an oddly amusing fascination with reading this: seeing your ratings go from "okay, this is generally good" to "holy crap this is NONSTOP L E G E N D A R Y" in apparently real time

Back