The "House Fancy" effect: Yay or Nay?

Can the House Fancy effect completely ruin an episode?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • It varies

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

Fred Mercury

Mylegian Rhapsody
No, because just a toenail scene doesn't mean this episode ruined

Maybe just Post-Movie Hater who think House Fancy was ruined

Honestly, it depends. In an episode like House Fancy, I look past the moment because it is 10 seconds long. Tbh I actually like House Fancy a bit. Sure it gets a little boring, but Squilliam's house decoration and Squidward coming out on top gives me partial enjoyment out of the episode. However, in something like "Peter Problems" (Family Guy) the "toenail" scene is; Peter drives a forklift into a whale and BRUTALLY (I really mean brutally) stabs the whale to death with the blades of the forklift. If it was a 5 second cutaway, I would look past it (the episode is ok without it). However, the scene goes on for OVER A MINUTE. Just WOW. How gross. So I think that it depends on what the effect is. But most of the time, I don't think it effects the episode that much.

The Drifter

Some person.
I really like House Fancy. The titular House Fancy segments are amusing, and the bit where Squidward's toilet crawls into his arms and begs for mercy just came out of nowhere and totally hilarious.

So yeah, I think the reason House Fancy is overhated is simple because of the toenail scene. The "it's boring" excuse seems to be more of a cop-out made by people defending their dislike.

No because hating an entire episode because of the one scene is just someone being too sensitive about something and can't even thinking of positive sides of the episode because of it. It's just one scene, it can be bad and it can give you a bad taste in your mouth for long but It's not an excuse for an episode to be bad, especialy If you ignored what makes the episode bad or good. An episode is bad when it's poorly written, characters are unlikeable, the overall story is boring, pacing is messy and implications are bad.

The one scene sendrome is effected because of Mr. Enter. Sure a lot of people did hate an episode for one scene before (the infamous panda rape scene in Homer vs Dignity, anyone?) but it got bigger because of Mr. Enter. He didn't do just House Fancy. He also complained about whale scene in Peter Problems episode of Family Guy and yes, whale scene is one of the worst scenes in tv history but he pretty much ignored what's actually wrong with the episode. Peter Problems suck because it's jokeless, the story is unimpresive and it's pretty sexist.

Another example is him compaining about is the dead pizza baby joke in The Job episode of Gumball. It's clear that the baby is a freaking pizza and it wasn't even alive. Gimball droping it accidently is funny because it's not even alive and pizza couple's reaction makes it even a better dark joke. Even if you hate the joke, it lasted for 5 seconds and rest of the episode is pure imaginative.

Heck, he even made a deviantart journal about examples of one scene ruining an episode or something like that and he showed House Fancy as the biggest example. It shows us why he's too sensitive about cartoons, yet everyone starts to follow his logic and hate the episode because of one scene. Some people said House Fancy was just boring (they didn't even whine about it either) and it's a much better reason to dislike an episode than hating an episode for one small scene.

Felix said:
Mainly no, but it varies. Personally, the most "House Fancy effect"-esque episodes to me are Merry Christmas Mordecai/1000th Chopper Flight Party (Regular Show, you already know why), Homer Simpson in Kidney Trouble (Simpsons, Homer's behavior is what make me hate this episode), and most Teen Titans Go! episode. Those are just a few examples of certain scenes ruining my enjoyment with these episodes.
Those episodes are not good examples of this topic. They didn't work because a lot of things were wrong with them. Not because they had one little infamous scene.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
To make some things clear, I don't apply the House Fancy effect on SpongeBob AT ALL. No episode has my opinion on it affected by a small infamous scene, and if someone does apply it on a SpongeBob episode, well, that's in 95% of the cases a stupid reason. I've seen some people hating Bubbly Buddy because Squidward tried to stab the bubble with a needle. Huh... da heck?

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
MrTortellini00 said:
To make some things clear, I don't apply the House Fancy effect on SpongeBob AT ALL. No episode has my opinion on it affected by a small infamous scene, and if someone does apply it on a SpongeBob episode, well, that's in 95% of the cases a stupid reason. I've seen some people hating Bubbly Buddy because Squidward tried to stab the bubble with a needle. Huh... da heck?
Squidward trying to stab Bubble Buddy with a needle is just a small and stupid excuse to hate an episode. IMO, it doesn't take the enjoyment out of the episode, even if it made me feel a little uncomfortable.

Zombies4EvaDude

Imitation Krab
I've seen some people hating Bubbly Buddy because Squidward tried to stab the bubble with a needle. Huh... da heck?
Uhh… people hate Bubble Buddy for other reasons, like how irritating it is, it’s not very funny, the few jokes they do tell are slow and horribly paced, and the plot isn’t very interesting either. The twist of Bubble Buddy being alive only makes it worse, because it implies that he let Scooter drown to death and got no comeuppance for it. This stinker of an episode deserves just as much hate as other Season 2 episodes get like I’m With Stupid and Dumped.

Back