The "House Fancy" effect: Yay or Nay?

Can the House Fancy effect completely ruin an episode?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • It varies

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

MrTortellini00

lame funny
I call it House Fancy effect because I don't know what else I could call it, but it still applies in media in general, from live-action to animation. The House Fancy effects consists in a scene where something happens, something so bad that it takes away any enjoyment of the episode, like people hating House Fancy just because of the toenail scene. Those scene are also not a plot point that affects the story and could be easily cut from the episode (so endings don't count in this); their purpose is usually to tell a joke or just to fill up the episode length.

My thoughts on this: didn't I already mention enough that hating an episode just for one single short scene that doesn't affect the story in a meaningful way is just not right? I mean, I know how cringeworthy a scene could be, but making it affect your entire opinion in the episode? No, just no. Like I said earlier, if that part of the episode is a really big portion of it, or if has a big importance on the story, I could understand. The House Fancy effect could make the episode worse, but not automatically bad. But, I'm very aware that some scenes are really really cringy and can easily make you enjoy the whole thing a tad, if not a lot less. I was stuck between "No" and "It varies", but at the end I vote for "It varies".

So, what are your thoughts on this particular aspect?

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
I would say no because hating an episode for a small part can bring down the quality of an episode a little bit, but 1 small bad part does not ruin an entire episode. Usually, the small bad scene has nothing to do with the plot, it could be just filler, or it can be deleted from the episode without any worries.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
President Squidward said:
:fred3:

Land Sponge said:
Well, rest of the episode is very boring. So it doesn't save the episode.
Well, actually there are a ton of people who wouldn't even hate the episode if the toenail scene was there. It would've just been forgotten by everyone if it wasn't there.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Belongs in Arts and Entertainment.
Oh, and I'd say that it varies. I never really thought a couch ripping off Squidward's toenail painfully would mess up an entire episode. Feels very much like filler, put in there for two reasons: filling up episode time, and grossout.

Land Sponge

Moby Dollar
MrTortellini00 said:
Well, actually there are a ton of people who wouldn't even hate the episode if the toenail scene was there. It would've just been forgotten by everyone if it wasn't there.
I agree

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Only if it indirectly affects the episode itself, like starts a running gag like FOP loves to do, or if it's just a part of a bad episode altogether and seems to be one of the pivotal points in it's quality drop as an overall even without it awful episode, so I have to say it varies depending on the extremities, but in most cases it will not.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Mainly no, but it varies. Personally, the most "House Fancy effect"-esque episodes to me are Merry Christmas Mordecai/1000th Chopper Flight Party (Regular Show, you already know why), Homer Simpson in Kidney Trouble (Simpsons, Homer's behavior is what make me hate this episode), and most Teen Titans Go! episode. Those are just a few examples of certain scenes ruining my enjoyment with these episodes.

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
Honestly no, if it's something so small, it really won't ruin the episode for me. A lot of eps I like during Season 5-8 have at least one thing that really bugs me, but I enjoy it nonetheless. One small thing like the toenail scene may take some points off, but it shouldn't ruin the entire episode for someone, especially when there are lots of positives to it.

PinkPearl

insert title here
I think the toenail scene in House Fancy is very overhated. For me, it doesn't take away enjoyment of the episode at all- I just look away if I feel disgusted. Aside from the episode itself, there aren't a lot of scenes in movies or shows that take away enjoyment of them for me on their own, unless there's a particular scene that's mean-spirited or something. Mean-spirited stuff is really the only type of single scene that ruins an episode or show for me.

More

VIP
No. No matter how painful, nasty, and flat-out wrong the scene is, it's extremely petty an stupid to whine endlessly about less than 1% of the episode and I absolutely can't stand whenever I hear someone do just that.

Back