The Great Debate: CWN vs Band Geeks

Overall Better Episode?

• Total voters

SmythTheCrow

Space Pirate
I enjoy both, but I would have to go with Chocolate With Nuts. It's one of, if not my favorite episodes ever. CHOCOLATE!!!!!!

I love both of these episodes, they are some of the show's fnest episodes, no matter how you call them overrated as heck. They have reasons to be beloved. If there's one episode to choose tho, I'd say it's Band Geeks. Sure, Chocolate With Nuts is one of the funniest episodes in the entire episodes and it managed to create something simple, yet charming. But I choose Band Geeks, due to it's brilliant writing. What I mean is that this is the best use of Squidward ever, If you exclude Dying For Pie. We can relate to Squidward in this episode because he wanted to be successful for the first time, he's often a loser and that's really a terrible feeling, especially If you feel like a loser most of time; just like Squidward, we want to acomplish something in our lives, yet often we mess things up or things don't work out for us. Some may argue that Squidward doesn't deserve to win because he's a smug through the show and yes, it's true but here's the thing. This was never about him being a smug, he wasn't even a smug in this episode. In this epispde, he was just so sad and angry that someone else (Squilliam) is much more successful person than he is and Squilliam really shoves this into Squidward's face. How'd you feel If someone was more successful than you and he or she kept shoving into your face? You would work hard to be successful and that's what Squidward wanted to be. If he was a smug in this episode and be jerks to characters, yes I'd say he doesn't deserve to be successful but instead, he really tried too hard to make things work but instead, everyone acted crazy through the episode. Later Squidward gave a big speech, which is probably one of the most powerful and emotional scenes in the entire show. He was really sad that everyone acted crazy and messed things up, it's understandable why Squidward feels that way because If someone ruined your manage to get success you'd feel sad as well. This episode really turned Squidward into a really relatable character and that's something that a lot of episodes lack, it's not a bad thing but it's something when you feel the same way the character feels. Later SpongeBob felt so bad about this and decided to help him, that's another props to this episode, it showed how much SpongeBob cared for Squidward and wanted to help him to be successful. And then we got the finale, which overshadowed the entire episode and yes, this episode shouldn't get praised because of one scene but in the end, the finale of this episode was the biggest finale to ever come up for a SpongeBob episode. The song and the overall feel of success make this episode even better. For the first time, it's really sweet to see Squidward acomplish something in this life and in here, he really deserved it. Those are the reasons why I think Band Geeks is a superior episode, in comprasion. Not the mention, this episode had really hilarious jokes as well, the episode might not be as gust busting as hilarious as Chocolate With Nuts but the jokes are still there. From intsturments of torture to big meaty claws ( :sbface: ), a lot of jokes here are really funny and memorable. So yeah, to sum this up, the complex writing of Band Geeks makes it a better episode in my opinion, even though the show can do simple plots really well.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
As overrated as the episode is, I will have to go with Chocolate with Nuts. While Band Geeks can be a near perfect episode with one of the best endings in the entire series, CWN has tons of humor, despite its mundane plot. IMO, CWN is more quotable with somes of the quotes being "Let's get Naked", "I love you", "CHOOOCOLATE!!!!", and "Thank you for your patronage". The ending of cwn left me asking more, and that is just really SWEET. Band Geeks, on the other hand, is near perfect, but I felt that some of the jokes were a bit forced. "Is mayonnaise an instrument?" seemed a bit too forced, for an example. Even though Squidward won in Band Geeks, cwn will always have the special place in my heart. Cwn lacked emotion, but almost every single joke worked out for me. I was laughing so hard at Chocolate with Nuts that I almost cried, and that is hard to make my laugh that hard. Many people love Band Geeks because of the ending, and if the ending of Band Geeks did not exist, then I would see that it won't get talked about as much.

Pinhead Larry

The Fountain of Squidward
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern I
I would go for CWN. Personally, I think CWN is well-constructed, has a strong plotline that stays really true to SpongeBob's core themes, and is immensely funny. I mean although there are better, some of the funniest moments of SpongeBob happened in CWN, including 'CHOCOLATE!' and 'I love you.' It's simple and it works very well, with no annoying characters. It's an episode that anyone will always remember.

Band Geeks may be good, but people only like it because of the ending, and because Squilliam got wrecked. Besides, it doesn't really do it for me, as I much prefer Suctioncup Symphony. If they just provided a regular performance, it would be unmemorable because Squidward was mildly irritating, and because there weren't that many jokes. Brilliant ending, but not that great.

The Drifter

Some person.
Chocolate with Nuts. The plot where the main character went on some kind of get-rich quick schemes are my favorite, I always finds something funny from lazy/dumb characters trying to get money without much work. The episode itself was opened in a great way. SpongeBob just kinda sits inside a mailbox and jumps at mailman, then he and Patrick sees a magazine with a picture of guy with shoe and pool in it, and they decides to sell chocolates. The subplot with the scammer guy is great, the part where he sells bags to hold bags that hold chocolate,in my opinion is an even better gag than his "fake suffering patient" scam. And then there's that part where SpongeBob pulls out continuous streams of bags. Or when Patrick just randomly buys some random guy's photo when he was. Or that really old lady. Or when they decides to starts lying and make outlandish claims. As you can see, there are tons of jokes in CWN, and they're delivered in a rapid manner. All of these jokes kinda came after one another successively until the end of the episode. Compared to Band Geeks, there aren't many jokes around. There's the mayonnaise scene, blimp scene, and the final fight scene. The part where Plankton plays an oversized harmonica was amusing, but not really great, and the famous big meaty claws scene aren't exactly funny for me in the first place. And in the end, Band Geeks didn't became famous because of itls own merit like Chocolate With Nuts. It became one of the most popular SpongeBob episode because of some licensed generic 80's rock. Fr my experience with other SpongeBob fans, both in real life and Internet, that thing seems to be the only thing people remembers about the episode. Which means the episode aren't exactly memorable and are only famous because of the song. If the we took the sing away, it'll probably be in the same level with the Smoking Peanut, largely forgotten by the fanbase.

Chocolate with deez nutz.

I have deeply sinned for making a "deez nutz" joke in 2016 :sbconfused:
WHAT ARE THOSE?!?

The Drifter said:
Chocolate with Nuts. The plot where the main character went on some kind of get-rich quick schemes are my favorite, I always finds something funny from lazy/dumb characters trying to get money without much work. The episode itself was opened in a great way. SpongeBob just kinda sits inside a mailbox and jumps at mailman, then he and Patrick sees a magazine with a picture of guy with shoe and pool in it, and they decides to sell chocolates. The subplot with the scammer guy is great, the part where he sells bags to hold bags that hold chocolate,in my opinion is an even better gag than his "fake suffering patient" scam. And then there's that part where SpongeBob pulls out continuous streams of bags. Or when Patrick just randomly buys some random guy's photo when he was. Or that really old lady. Or when they decides to starts lying and make outlandish claims. As you can see, there are tons of jokes in CWN, and they're delivered in a rapid manner. All of these jokes kinda came after one another successively until the end of the episode. Compared to Band Geeks, there aren't many jokes around. There's the mayonnaise scene, blimp scene, and the final fight scene. The part where Plankton plays an oversized harmonica was amusing, but not really great, and the famous big meaty claws scene aren't exactly funny for me in the first place. And in the end, Band Geeks didn't became famous because of itls own merit like Chocolate With Nuts. It became one of the most popular SpongeBob episode because of some licensed generic 80's rock. Fr my experience with other SpongeBob fans, both in real life and Internet, that thing seems to be the only thing people remembers about the episode. Which means the episode aren't exactly memorable and are only famous because of the song. If the we took the sing away, it'll probably be in the same level with the Smoking Peanut, largely forgotten by the fanbase.

WHAT ARE THOSE?!?
to be fair, I think people often forgot the finale and mayonnaise aren't the only good things about Band Geeks. I feel like the plot was written very well and a lot of jokes were good. Sure, Chocolate With Nuts was a way funnier episode. I really think in terms of comedy, it's superior than Band Geeks but honestly both episodes' jokes were mentioned so many times, they don't really make me laugh much anymore. I can at least appericate Band Geeks for it's plot, that's not to say Chocolate With Nuts is pretty lazily written however, I think Chocolate With Nuts is the best example of how to use a simple plot and turn it into a brilliant episode but I think Band Geeks standed out more for me because I really like complex written episodes in comedy shows when there are some and those are very hard to execute. Just my two cents here.

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
For me, I like both, but "Band Geeks" is definitely the superior episode for me. Most of the reason why people love "Chocolate With Nuts" a lot is because of the episode's jokes. My biggest problem is, and this is something that Spongebob doesn't really do for me anymore, I don't laugh at the jokes. I definitely appreciate the jokes and I like the episode, but honestly, I've seen most of these Spongebob episodes so many times that I don't laugh at them anymore because I know they're coming. "Band Geeks" at least has the awesome ending to make it memorable, and it has some good jokes, even though I don't really laugh at them because I have seen the episode so many times. Overall, I find "Band Geeks" superior mostly because it does better in everything except in the comedy than "Chocolate With Nuts", but me not laughing at the show that much due to episode memorization kind of gives "Band Geeks" a easy victory for me. I like both episodes though.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
*stretches*

SZBJbCu.jpg

It surprised me to see Band Geeks churning out more jokes than Chocolate with Nuts. Band Geeks had 0,077 jokes per second, while Chocolate with Nuts had 0,074 JPS. Though the conclusion stands that these 2 giants are incredibly close, and incredibly successful with it's humour, with Chocolate with Nuts the slight victor with an 86% success rate. However, in my opinion, Band Geeks had better value for most of it's funnier jokes (which can't be mathematically recorded, that's why it's not on the table). What I'm meaning to say is, the funniest jokes from Band Geeks are slightly funnier than the funniest jokes from Chocolate with Nuts, albeit very slightly. So, I'm calling a close draw in the humour department. It's incredible how close and how successful they are.

From a story perspective, I'm giving the nod to Chocolate with Nuts. Band Geeks' premise was very simple, and a little more predictable than Chocolate with Nuts'. Band Geeks tells the classic 'underdog coming together in the very last minute to beat the jock/winning team' story. There's nothing wrong with that, but, in my opinion, Chocolate with Nuts had a better story structure. The entirety of the episode perfectly encapsulates all the trials and tribulations that all door-to-door salesmen might endure while doing their jobs. From, the product malfunctioning, having to tell lies, getting conned, meeting crazy customers, etc.

Still, Band Geeks' story is not far off. It encapsulates band practices quite perfectly, with accidents, fights, and one guy trying to hard to play an instrument out of his reach (Plankton), albeit it's a simpler concept, and it's taken to a more cartoonish execution. Far more cartoonish than Chocolate with Nuts, which some would see as it's failing, but I simply see it as the direction that it took. Chocolate with Nuts felt more realistic, and that's it strength because it felt calmer and wittier.

So, at this point, Chocolate with Nuts is slightly in the lead through the virtue of having a slightly better story. However, Band Geeks bridges that gap and overlaps it's rival with it's trump card; it's ending. Which, in my opinion is the greatest moment in the show's history.

Everything about it was perfect. It was glorious, the song choice was perfect, the casting for each instrument was perfect, they had a lot of jokes in there like Mrs. Puff's guitar slide, Squilliam's heart attack, Patrick's ridiculous expressions while drumming, it was all brilliant.

Both episodes are incredibly close in all aspects, but Band Geeks had an x factor that push it slightly ahead of Chocolate with Nuts. VERY slightly.

Winner: Band Geeks.

More

VIP
Spongey34 said:
Ooh, Chocolate With Nuts with the lead.

I voted Band Geeks. It has strength from so many characters. :)
Well yeah, there's character strength. But not enough characters to make 100 words. Go ban yourself.

SpongeRoadie UK said:
*stretches*

SZBJbCu.jpg

It surprised me to see Band Geeks churning out more jokes than Chocolate with Nuts. Band Geeks had 0,077 jokes per second, while Chocolate with Nuts had 0,074 JPS. Though the conclusion stands that these 2 giants are incredibly close, and incredibly successful with it's humour, with Chocolate with Nuts the slight victor with an 86% success rate. However, in my opinion, Band Geeks had better value for most of it's funnier jokes (which can't be mathematically recorded, that's why it's not on the table). What I'm meaning to say is, the funniest jokes from Band Geeks are slightly funnier than the funniest jokes from Chocolate with Nuts, albeit very slightly. So, I'm calling a close draw in the humour department. It's incredible how close and how successful they are.

From a story perspective, I'm giving the nod to Chocolate with Nuts. Band Geeks' premise was very simple, and a little more predictable than Chocolate with Nuts'. Band Geeks tells the classic 'underdog coming together in the very last minute to beat the jock/winning team' story. There's nothing wrong with that, but, in my opinion, Chocolate with Nuts had a better story structure. The entirety of the episode perfectly encapsulates all the trials and tribulations that all door-to-door salesmen might endure while doing their jobs. From, the product malfunctioning, having to tell lies, getting conned, meeting crazy customers, etc.

Still, Band Geeks' story is not far off. It encapsulates band practices quite perfectly, with accidents, fights, and one guy trying to hard to play an instrument out of his reach (Plankton), albeit it's a simpler concept, and it's taken to a more cartoonish execution. Far more cartoonish than Chocolate with Nuts, which some would see as it's failing, but I simply see it as the direction that it took. Chocolate with Nuts felt more realistic, and that's it strength because it felt calmer and wittier.

So, at this point, Chocolate with Nuts is slightly in the lead through the virtue of having a slightly better story. However, Band Geeks bridges that gap and overlaps it's rival with it's trump card; it's ending. Which, in my opinion is the greatest moment in the show's history.

Everything about it was perfect. It was glorious, the song choice was perfect, the casting for each instrument was perfect, they had a lot of jokes in there like Mrs. Puff's guitar slide, Squilliam's heart attack, Patrick's ridiculous expressions while drumming, it was all brilliant.

Both episodes are incredibly close in all aspects, but Band Geeks had an x factor that push it slightly ahead of Chocolate with Nuts. VERY slightly.

Winner: Band Geeks.
WOAH, that has to be one of the best analyzed reviews, I've ever heard, no joke. ;)

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Spongey34 said:
ssj has to do it.

I dare you, ssj!

Okay, please don't. :angel:
Oh I will if you don't revise your post. ^_^

WhoBob said:
WOAH, that has to be one of the best analyzed reviews, I've ever heard, no joke. ;)
You don't know who Roadie is, apparently. :P

ssj4gogita4 said:
You don't know who Roadie is, apparently. :P
I know who he is. I've seen a lot of his reviews and I loved them so much but this is by far one of my favorites. He's such an excellent reviewer. :magicwink:

PinkPearl

insert title here
I'm not going to go so far as to calculate successful joke percentages, but let's take a look at both:

So Chocolate with Nuts. One of the most popular episodes out there. It's great from the get-go (who wouldn't want to read a magazine about rich people?), and Squiddy puts in a small appearance as his grumpy self. But in general, the jokes are fantastic (Patrick: "I love you!") and we even get introduced to Tom, who will eventually become a well-known background fish. If that doesn't scream classic, I don't know what does. Many people appreciate Lazy Mary and her mother, but I don't find them great characters. Quite frankly, the mother weirds me out a little bit, but that's just me. She's just kind of creepy. Aside from the characters, SpongeBob and Patrick's attempts at entrepreneurship are classic. They even get scammed! The ending is really funny too and typical of SpongeBob and Patrick. And speaking of Patrick, his stupidity works here. He's not too dumb and in fact is one of the best in the episode.

Meanwhile, Band Geeks is great on its own terms. You actually feel sorry for Squidward and that's what makes this episode so unique. Like Chocolate with Nuts, there are classic, memorable moments. But instead of background fish, it's the jokes that are classic. People complain about seeing "Is mayonnaise an instrument?" being made into a meme, but it wouldn't be a meme if it wasn't funny. (And let's not forget those big meaty claws.) I love how all the characters come together and interact, even Plankton. Then the episode culminates in a fantastic musical number, which some say makes the episode. While it's great, it's not the only reason why this episode is one of the best. The jokes, characters, and scenes are all equally well done, and seeing Squidward win...while actually being happy for him... is fantastic. Sure he can be a jerk, but I think in this case it's all about coming together and helping someone who needs it. And you can tell Squidward appreciated it. Sure, it's not as funny as CwN, but that doesn't matter because the story is so strong. And no, I don't just like it for the ending. Everything works well, from the jokes that there are to the storyline. It's just a feel-good story and I think that the lack of humor doesn't matter in that case.

Verdict: Band Geeks is the best, mainly because I have no minor complaints unlike Chocolate with Nuts. Close call though; both are classic episodes.

Back