The Great Debate: CWN vs Band Geeks

Overall Better Episode?

• Total voters

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
2h5cV7q.png

So, here's how the debate works:
- Choose a side (this week is Chocolate with Nuts or Band Geeks)
- Explain why you chose that particular side in at least 100 words. Site your references, if necessary. If not 100 words or more, your original post will be deleted.
- Debate with the opposite side and tell them why you respectfully disagree with their decision.

(let me know if there should be any more rules. This is the first debate so I want to get this right before the second debate next week.)

This week's debate:
* Which is the overall better episode: Chocolate with Nuts OR Band Geeks?

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
Chocolate with Nuts

This episode is very funny, all the gags in this episode work and an extremely memorable plot.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Chocolate with Nuts

Band Geeks is an amazing episode but Chocolate with Nuts is SpongeBob perfection. Every few seconds there is a gag and they all range from very funny to very-very funny. It probably has the highest joke per-minute ratio of any SpongeBob episode. It has a simple plot but in the end that just leaves even more room for jokes. It definitely is one of the most polished episode in the series' history and will always be one of the most memorable, to me anyways. To me it also marked the end of the era of consistent laugh out-load SpongeBob episodes and stands out as it's the best. (in my opinion)

dmandaboi

I love SBM
Chocolate with Nuts

In my opinion, this episode is MUCH more quotable than Band Geeks, and much funnier. From the Chocolate guy to Patrick's "I love you", this episode crams in the most jokes that you can possibly get in a SpongeBob episode. My favorite used to be Band Geeks, and believe me, that's a really good one too. But CWN just mad me realize how great the characters can be.

Still don't believe me? Look at all the quotes:

"I love you."

"They are most certainly NOT delicious!"

"Hi mailman!"

"CHOCOLATE!!!"

"You just can't wait for me to die, can you?"

I believe I've made my point.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
ssj4gogita4 said:
at least 100 words :fred:
fine

Chocolate with Nuts

This episode is very funny, all the gags in this episode work and an extremely memorable plot. It's all funny from start to finish, while everyone else likes the CHOCOLAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!! gag, I personally LOVE the " I love you" line with Patrick. I also really like the concept, I love the idea that Spongebob andI really wish they would make another episode like this Patrick sell chocolate (or it could work with anything like donuts, ice cream etc), either way, this episode is still amazing in it's own way. This is Comedy Gold here and a classic for everyone to enjoy. This one is only a hare better than Band Geeks.

On the other side, Bank Geeks is still an amazing episode, but, Hey, it was a close one. There are still so many memorable gags and just so awesome. I had to pick the funniest of the both. I'll still watch these episodes any day.

Leedles

Leedle
Band Geeks is just an overall classic and I love it. CWN comes close with rapid-fire gags, but Band Geeks has gags that are frequent and work, and one of the most satisfying endings in SB history. It really is a marvelous episode. That doesn't mean CWN isn't close, because it really was, but Band Geeks has the edge, if only for the ending alone. Don't judge me, and don't laugh, but I legitimately cried tears of joy at the ending. As for comparing the two, CWN wins in humor, Band Geeks in pacing, Band Geeks in story, Band Geeks at being memorable, and Band Geeks gets an extra advantage for the ending.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Two episodes which I feel are overrated to death and it does occasionally get on my nerves on how much praise they get compared to other episodes.....here we go.
Band Geeks because the plot and the ending really, it's such a rarity for Squidward to win, and even more of one for Squilliam to lose so it does make it mean that much more......yes I know I don't love this, heck I'll say it now it's barely outside of my top 50 overall.
CWN......eh the gags aren't THAT funny to me, still good but not on a god level and they can get a bit stale after a while IMO. The plot isn't as complex so looking past the gags there isn't too much for me to look at here.

Loopers

Sportz?
imo chocalte wit nuts is better because the episode is very and spongebub and patrick go on adventures to sell cholate
band ggeks is trash okay imo chocalte wit nuts is better because the episode is very and spongebub and patrick go on adventures to sell cholate
band ggeks is trash okay imo chocalte wit nuts is better because the episode is very and spongebub and patrick go on adventures to sell cholate
band ggeks is trash okay

babydoll

Bomb-Selling Pirate
band geeks. all the characters are used perfectly, the jokes are hilarious and sometimes wonderfully dark, it has a lot of heart, an epic power ballad, and an emotional ending. no spongebob episode (yet) can compare to the way i felt when i first watched this episode. it is the magnum opus of the series.

chocolate with nuts is a fantastic episode too, but it doesn't have the heart and the emotion of band geeks. it's just really, really great comedy.

More

VIP
Chocolate With Nuts is the better episode by a long-shot. The thing I most value on an episode is it's humor, and Chocolate With Nuts, while lacking in other areas, is easily the funniest episode of the show. It may have a very bare-boned story, but it allows more time to launch it's gags at a really fast, yet well-timed pace and never slows down even once, whenever there's a joke they can make they make one, and I found every last one to hit bullseyes, from the one's that stick in our heads like the "CHOCOLATE" fish, the con man, and "Let's Get Naked!", to slightly more subtle (although still high-energy) ones to pad out the time like misunderstanding what an entrepreneur is or "exaggerating" the truth :p. It also had an amazing variety of them, it had a good combination of both running gags, quick oversights, visual, character interaction and even some hints of gross-out like "Not the way I use 'em." It really needs to be watched to believe.

Band Geeks on the other hand... I think people may enjoy for reasons that don't really exist. There may be praise for "how much Squidward went through and accomplished, finally beating the odds against Squilliam" but what did Squidward even do? At this point he's been nothing but rude and careless to people, aside from maybe hints of kindness towards SpongeBob, which they even acknoledged in SpongeBob's crappy motivational speech, and frankly I think that's what made the humor work so well, as it gave him just the right amount of karma. Here... it's kinda like that, but are we supposed to laugh at Squidward's misery like the jokes say, or root for him like th estory does, because it doesn't really do either. Squilliam's a poorly designed character that's only starts and ends the plot quickly with his bragging to make Squidward look better, and it doesn't really end up giving a motivation or a strive for the audience. And as for it's humor... I loved it when Patrick misinterpreted "KICKING" to be rebuttaled by a trombone, and when Plankton said "Do instruments of torture count?, " but besides that it either took too long to get started, like the mayonaisse joke, seemed kinda forced into it and admittedly stupid, like when the drumstick were stupidly blown, or seems surprisingly dark for the show for no apparent reason. I like dark humor if that was the episode's intent and they went all-out, or if it's a quick suicide gag to exaggerate the situation, but it seems there's too much of them here to really tolerate at apoint, the one with flag-twirling was played out unfittingly seriously. Also, I don't care if you lack continuity between episodes, but within it, at least try to be consistent with who plays what instrument, the harmonica gag felt just as lazy as the key under the mat.

And there's the ending, which, uh, I don't get. It's runs for too long and's too empowering to really be a joke, and it don't think it really fits in the context of the story. It leaves too many of the episode's plotholes open, like what was Squilliam's plan to begin with, what did the gang do to prepare in the last night, and why didn't they just make an original song for pete's sake, it feels lazy to just steal something from the 80's and do nothing else with it. It just seems like they slapped it in to allow Sqidward to be happy and even that doesn't work because he doesn't even show a courageous act once, he's just a crappy and whiny teacher to the point where he killed multiple people. If that's a person who "deserves" his reward, I don't know who doesn't.

Leedles

Leedle
More_Spandy said:
Chocolate With Nuts is the better episode by a long-shot. The thing I most value on an episode is it's humor, and Chocolate With Nuts, while lacking in other areas, is easily the funniest episode of the show. It may have a very bare-boned story, but it allows more time to launch it's gags at a really fast, yet well-timed pace and never slows down even once, whenever there's a joke they can make they make one, and I found every last one to hit bullseyes, from the one's that stick in our heads like the "CHOCOLATE" fish, the con man, and "Let's Get Naked!", to slightly more subtle (although still high-energy) ones to pad out the time like misunderstanding what an entrepreneur is or "exaggerating" the truth :P. It also had an amazing variety of them, it had a good combination of both running gags, quick oversights, visual, character interaction and even some hints of gross-out like "Not the way I use 'em." It really needs to be watched to believe.

Band Geeks on the other hand... I think people may enjoy for reasons that don't really exist. There may be praise for "how much Squidward went through and accomplished, finally beating the odds against Squilliam" but what did Squidward even do? At this point he's been nothing but rude and careless to people, aside from maybe hints of kindness towards SpongeBob, which they even acknoledged in SpongeBob's crappy motivational speech, and frankly I think that's what made the humor work so well, as it gave him just the right amount of karma. Here... it's kinda like that, but are we supposed to laugh at Squidward's misery like the jokes say, or root for him like th estory does, because it doesn't really do either. Squilliam's a poorly designed character that's only starts and ends the plot quickly with his bragging to make Squidward look better, and it doesn't really end up giving a motivation or a strive for the audience. And as for it's humor... I loved it when Patrick misinterpreted "KICKING" to be rebuttaled by a trombone, and when Plankton said "Do instruments of torture count?, " but besides that it either took too long to get started, like the mayonaisse joke, seemed kinda forced into it and admittedly stupid, like when the drumstick were stupidly blown, or seems surprisingly dark for the show for no apparent reason. I like dark humor if that was the episode's intent and they went all-out, or if it's a quick suicide gag to exaggerate the situation, but it seems there's too much of them here to really tolerate at apoint, the one with flag-twirling was played out unfittingly seriously. Also, I don't care if you lack continuity between episodes, but within it, at least try to be consistent with who plays what instrument, the harmonica gag felt just as lazy as the key under the mat.

And there's the ending, which, uh, I don't get. It's runs for too long and's too empowering to really be a joke, and it don't think it really fits in the context of the story. It leaves too many of the episode's plotholes open, like what was Squilliam's plan to begin with, what did the gang do to prepare in the last night, and why didn't they just make an original song for pete's sake, it feels lazy to just steal something from the 80's and do nothing else with it. It just seems like they slapped it in to allow Sqidward to be happy and even that doesn't work because he doesn't even show a courageous act once, he's just a crappy and whiny teacher to the point where he killed multiple people. If that's a person who "deserves" his reward, I don't know who doesn't.
I think for Band Geeks, we just needed an episode where Squidward actually was happy. And that's exactly why it delivered. Not to mention Squilliam was overly arrogant, and I just wanted to see Squidward beat him. Also, I think early on you're supposed to laugh at Squidward jokes, but after SB's speech, you're supposed to root for Squidward.

As for the plotholes, I think that Squilliam's plan from the beginning was just to brag to Squidward that he's better than him, nothing more or less, it's still a kids show. What the gang did to prepare is not a plothole, but let's admit it, the journey is more fun than the destination, so watching them just get ready would be unfunny. Sweet Victory I felt was used very appropriately here. I think the reason they didn't use an original song was it needed to sound much more...epic than if SB was singing it. Not to mention the title and lyrics fit very appropriately.

I think the major reason Squidward deserved his reward is, well, Squilliam was an asshole. First of all, Squidward did try to teach them, but they were incompetent. The deaths he caused were clearly accidents. It wasn't until Squidward walked out after the huge fight and SpongeBob's motivational speech they decided they wanted to make it up to Squidward for being so rude and not treating him well as a teacher. And they did it. And it feels wholly satisfying.

Back