Texting

There was a topic on social media alone, but how about the actual act of communicating to someone via instant message/text?
I think it has its advantages and disadvantages. It's pretty awesome to be able to use emojis or send people reaction GIFS. In addition, I think it's lovely that you get to have a little bit of time to think about what you want to say. It definitely makes it easier for me to, say, come up with really bad puns.
tongue.png
It's also a very convenient way to talk about personal things when other people are in the room, or even in general as you have more time to think about what you wanna say and say it how you wanna say it. However, I do miss seeing facial expressions and often tone can come out really cold unintentionally. It's nice to often see for sure that you make someone laugh, because, let's face it: no one laughs when they say Lol.
Texting can also suck primarily because, some people just don't effin know how to text, unortunately. When texting is done right, at least in my view, it's either to coordinate plans to Skype or meet up, or both parties actually have an actual conversation where effort is put forth and both parties are saying things of actual significance. Keywords EFFORT FROM BOTH PARTIES. As for the people who really effing suck at texting, I will never understand why people think it's okay to one-word respond all the damn time. It is never okay to reply to a long chunk of text after long chunk of text with responses such as "yep", "nice" "haha" "lol" "yeah" "oh"...... maybe I overthink it but in my eyes you seem like an entitled, lazy ::dolphin noise:: who thinks you're too cool to actually put in any effort for anyone and that people should just try to talk to you. That really burns me out tbh and 90% of the time, I just flat out stop responding unless it's someone who's really special to me and even then I'm bound to feel burned out and confront them about it soon enough. Like, I actually do not understand why some people find it that freaking hard to just say more than one word and maybe *gasp* ask a question.
sleep.png
(In case you can't tell, one wording is literally one of my biggest pet peeves in the world omfomf. I HATE it. It burns me out.
sleep.png
)
I can understand not responding once the conversation naturally dies down, but other than that I think it's quite rude to just not respond either. At least say you don't want to talk.
But maybe I myself am a bit too spoiled and expect too much from texting? IDK, what do yall think
tongue.png

abisert

Giant Clam
I like it's convenience. One-words sentences like you said below don't really give meaning to it, even though I've use "lol" at my friend a few times.

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
For me, texting has always been very convenient. My own pet peeve is that I hate when people text me paragraph long texts. Although, that's probably because I used to have this friend (keywords being "used to") who would do that constantly and it was never something that, well, had a point to put it lightly (IRL he's an obnoxious chatterbox that never shuts up, and I mean NEVER). It was ALWAYS jibberish and he would do this 3-4 times a day even when I told him to stop. The only exception that I'm willing to give is if it's something like a grocery list that my mom needs me to fulfill for instance.

Delta Stream

тhє fιєѕту qυιℓανα
My pet peeve with texting is when someone asks me a question without even putting the question mark at the end. It feels more of a statement when that happens, even on Kik :/ For example, I mean things like "Where is the address" without them putting a question mark in the end. It's pretty lazy in my opinion. But I really prefer texting people instead of calling, and calling gives me a lot of anxiety unless it's with friends or family. And yeah, I agree with you having people say short responses like these after you try to text them a serious, long message, it's also annoying.

But yeah, in all honesty, I only text those I feel close to or those who really act as if they're a friend. I don't talk to those who see me as an option or something like that, even when I'm the one who messages them first most of the time.

illiniguy34 said:
For me, texting has always been very convenient. My own pet peeve is that I hate when people text me paragraph long texts. Although, that's probably because I used to have this friend (keywords being "used to") who would do that constantly and it was never something that, well, had a point to put it lightly (IRL he's an obnoxious chatterbox that never shuts up, and I mean NEVER). It was ALWAYS jibberish and he would do this 3-4 times a day even when I told him to stop. The only exception that I'm willing to give is if it's something like a grocery list that my mom needs me to fulfill for instance.
That is annoying too but god I would take paragraphs over one word responses any day. Paragraphs can at least carry convo; one wording just makes me feel ::dolphin noise::ty

Katniss

totally coral
My dad and I send each other one-word response sometimes, but honestly we're not the chattiest people over text and wouldn't know what else to say :p

Hoopla!

Pepper Jack Cheese
I'll admit I one word sometimes, but usually only when I have nothing much to say. But I still hate paragraph long texts, if it's gonna be that long they should just call me. I'm just not really that chatty like other people :P

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
My best friend and I send a few one word responses, but those are only when we can't think of what to say. Both paragraph long responses and one word responses suck IMO.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
If Messenger and Facebook didn't exist my life would be extremely easier, I am not overreacting or something, coz' I know everyone will be like ''Squiddly, no one can live without FB or Messenger, so you couldn't live either'' , hmm I can guarantee you that I can, and my life would be LOTS of better , happier and easier if these 2 ::dolphin noise:: apps didn't exist...that's why I had depression all February-March 2016...But I can't really reveal you why I hate them, it's my biggest secret..I can't tell everybody. But anyways, I do like texting more than face-to-face conversations for the reasons you said..I also have a problem , I can't talk to someone fast, because I do mistakes in grammar and vocab and it messes up my speech, and also I kind of have voice problems, but I don't really know how this problem is called in English..I hate short messages as well but not from people that I don't really know well, or like them very much..for example I had one friend I really really loved and wanted to talk to, and he used to reply with short messages and yeah I was kind of sad, but I eventually stopped talking to him...That's what my best friend does as well, but she also doesn't really text to me..and that kind of irritates me as well...I mean come on, I sent you a message yesterday, today it's your time for you to send me...I can't always be the one that wants to know how are you...why don't you even care to send a ::dolphin noise::ing ''Hi, how are you?''...that really bothered me the couple previous days...I had texted her on July 2 , and then she AGAIN sent me a message on JULY 16 just to ask me if I like a cover that she made, I mean COME ON, you sent a message, just first ::dolphin noise::ing ask what am I doing...It's a long story but it's ok now.
Sometimes, I answer with short messages as well, but thats only when I don't have anything to say... I do that to my mother as well...I always do that to my mother , I am like ''K mom'' , ''OK'', ''Ya'' :P But come on it's my mother :P But to be honest me and my best friend we mostly call ourselves from Messenger , it has a telephone icon and we talk to each other with that...we didn't really chat between July 2 - July 28 so that's happening the other days.

Hoopla!

Pepper Jack Cheese
If Messenger and Facebook didn't exist my life would be extremely easier, I am not overreacting or something, coz' I know everyone will be like ''Squiddly, no one can live without FB or Messenger, so you couldn't live either'' , hmm I can guarantee you that I can, and my life would be LOTS of better , happier and easier if these 2 ::dolphin noise:: apps didn't exist...that's why I had depression all February-March 2016...But I can't really reveal you why I hate them, it's my biggest secret..I can't tell everybody. But anyways, I do like texting more than face-to-face conversations for the reasons you said..I also have a problem , I can't talk to someone fast, because I do mistakes in grammar and vocab and it messes up my speech, and also I kind of have voice problems, but I don't really know how this problem is called in English..I hate short messages as well but not from people that I don't really know well, or like them very much..for example I had one friend I really really loved and wanted to talk to, and he used to reply with short messages and yeah I was kind of sad, but I eventually stopped talking to him...That's what my best friend does as well, but she also doesn't really text to me..and that kind of irritates me as well...I mean come on, I sent you a message yesterday, today it's your time for you to send me...I can't always be the one that wants to know how are you...why don't you even care to send a ::dolphin noise::ing ''Hi, how are you?''...that really bothered me the couple previous days...I had texted her on July 2 , and then she AGAIN sent me a message on JULY 16 just to ask me if I like a cover that she made, I mean COME ON, you sent a message, just first ::dolphin noise::ing ask what am I doing...It's a long story but it's ok now.
Sometimes, I answer with short messages as well, but thats only when I don't have anything to say... I do that to my mother as well...I always do that to my mother , I am like ''K mom'' , ''OK'', ''Ya'' :P But come on it's my mother :P But to be honest me and my best friend we mostly call ourselves from Messenger , it has a telephone icon and we talk to each other with that...we didn't really chat between July 2 - July 28 so that's happening the other days.
b61.gif

ooooooofy

hello! :)
back on topic now phew ^_^

anyways I do not text people except my parents and Pazza lolz :laughsquid: but I am fine with that!! people suxxx anyways :patboo: I must admit I do a whole lot of one-word texts with my parents :haylp: but like we do not ever really talk in texting it is just them asking me to do stuff or how my day was and I am not very chatty so I never initiate conversation with anybody ever :haylp: like even on here if I ever message u first with no specific thing to talk about in mind then ur a very special person :haylp: I think texting is a lot easier than normal talking but it still gives me anxiety coz when u send something and wait for them to reply that is like the worst!! luckily as I said I do not text anyone so I do not really have to deal with it lolzies :squilliam2:

The Drifter

Some person.
When the context is serious/semi serious, I try to come up with a proper response or not say anything at all. But well it doesn't matter since I barely ever send nor receive messages anyway.

PinkPearl

insert title here
Pros:
Being able to keep in touch with friends (I pretty much have only one close friend right now, but who cares). It allows me to stay close with this person as well, since we live far apart.
Being able to talk to others
It's easy to reach people if you need to.
I enjoy being able to talk to people without the pressure of being face-to-face. This was a plus when I talked with a guy I liked several years ago.

Cons:
Some people are so distracted by text conversations that they use their phones at the dinner table, while out walking, while driving, or at other inappropriate times. This is one of my biggest pet peeves ever and I try not to do it.
The dreaded-one word answer. It's a giveaway that people don't care what I'm talking about. Then I wonder if I'm ranting.

Back