Talk about Underhated Episodes (episodes that aren't hated enough)

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
jack_of_all_traids said:
That episode was actually good.
That's one of the reasons why this is an episode that isn't hated that much. People like myself hate this episode, but there are still people like you who enjoy this episode, which is why it doesn't get as much hate as OCM, APFG, etc.

Because of it, I feel as though it's severely underhated, hence why I mentioned it on this thread.

McSponge said:
That's one of the reasons why this is an episode that isn't hated that much. People like myself hate this episode, but there are still people like you who enjoy this episode, which is why it doesn't get as much hate as OCM, APFG, etc.
Because of it, I feel as though it's severely underhated, hence why I mentioned it on this thread.
Actually, I don't think I've seen anyone else on this site that likes that episode. Dead serious.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
jack_of_all_traids said:
Actually, I don't think I've seen anyone else on this site that likes that episode. Dead serious.
Yeah, though I don't see that many people truly despise it either. It's one of those episodes that a lot of people consider bad, but don't necessarily talk about (Like The Play's The Thing)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Trophy said:
Would legitimately have questions about these 4, LI, and Roof are passable 11 minute episodes if nothing else is on while DWP is just a short which is fine as well (unless it being just a short feels empty to you?) and Burst Your Bubble was legitimately enjoyable.
Life Insurance has horrible comedy. It's a monotonous slog of repetitious jokes and reused ideas that has tons of wackiness to further the blow.

Stuck on the Roof is downright awful. The story has no focus and just operates on random stuff happening rather than cause and effect. Not a single joke was funny.

Don't Wake Patrick is boring and has lame and predictable slapstick where SpongeBob was consistently the butt monkey.

Burst Your Bubble is mediocre, almost bad. The plot has good ideas but they're never given any focus making it feel like a first draft.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Anyway here's my list:

The Battle of Bikini Bottom: Horrible abomination that is so disgusting that I can't even look at the screen for the majority of the episode. Without a doubt the episode with the animation that bothers me the most. I know I shouldn't be bothered by it so heavily but I am. And also, the whole clean vs dirty battle idea was stupid and the episode was annoying. Sand Castles in the Sand was so much better than this.

The Motion Picture: Most people seem to find it to be amazing, but I just find it meh. It was annoying and had a lot of bad gross-out, and I hated the part where Patrick had blocked the camera with the circle thing. There were some jokes in here that I liked (to be more specific, the part where Mermaid Man messed up his lines, "did somebody say boom?", The beginning moment with the villain's car being towed, and Mermaid Man falling asleep before the movie started were thr jokes I liked), but most of them were annoying or gross. I personally don't get the hype for it

Patrick Smartpants: Mixed episode to me, I liked how we could symphatize with Patrick here and it was a little emotional, but Patrick was also rude and annoying here, and this episode has easily one (two, actually) of the worst sounds I've ever heard in anything. Even The Loud House hasn't had a sound as bad as this one. It's so bad I have to mute it when that sound comes.

The Curse of Bikini Bottom: I find this episode to be really bad, the atmosphere and tone of the episode felt kinda creepy and depressing in a not-good way and it made it uncomfortable to watch, it wasn't funny at all, it was boring, and Spongebob and Patrick got punished really hard here when they didn't do anything wrong. And the only thing good about it was the visuals.

Buried in Time: Extremely boring and forgettable, espicially the Plankton part. It was pretty funny but everything else was a bunch of either meh or pretty bad

Karate Star: Extremely boring and forgettable and a little annoying, I didn't mind Patrick in it that much but I have trouble thinking of too much that I liked about it outside of the idea of Patrick playing karate.

Extreme Spots: Yet again, EXTREMELY boring and forgettable, except this time it's much worse in that than the 2 above were. And this one was annoying too.

Shuffleboarding: Absymal episode, Spongebob and Patrick were extremely annoying and aggravating here, the episode wasn't funny except for one joke, it's really stupid, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are treated way too badly here.

To Squarepants or not to Squarepants: The only thing I liked here was the beginning where it acted like someing insane was going to happen, only to say that Spongebob was changing his pants, and then the women screams. Everything else had horrible charatization with almost every character, extremely frustrating and annoying, boring and forgettable, unfunny, and this had a stupid episode premise. Spongebob LongPants was much better at doing this

The Gift of Gum: Very disgusting and boring, and I disliked the big gum ball. I liked when Spongebob tried to "steal" it and there were people living inside the gum ball, and when the guy yelled at his tires, that's honestly about all I liked though. At least it's much better than The Amazing World of Gumball, although that's not saying much.

Waiting: I feel like nobody ever mentions it but I find it severly annoying and Spongebob ****** me off here.

Mermaid Man vs. Spongebob: After the first minute it wasn't funny at all and it was boring and forgettable, yet again. I feel like somethig really cool could have come from this idea but instead we just got a bunch of boredom.

Le Big Switch: Extremely annoying, stereotypical, and boring. Maybe even a little mean-spirited

Slide Whistle Stooges: It's the same joke over and over again. That's it

Porous Pockets: Extremely boring and annoying, and Spongebob was terrible here. At the very least it isn't like the similar Loud House episode.

Grooming Gary: The first 8 minutes were terrible, just a bunch of Gary abuse and all the other pets suffered the same treatment, and it was very boring and annoying. It got better once it got to the pet riot though.

Trenchbillies: Extremely annoying, boring, steroeotypical, gross, and frustrating, with an absymal ending.

Free Samples: People call it one of the best episode of Season 8 and I don't see it at all, extremely boring and possibly the most forgettable episode of the series. Perfectly average. I can barely even remember what happens in it.

The Other Patty: Extremely boring, just a worse version of Best Frenemies, and Spongebob trying to force Mr Krabs and Plankton o be friends really annoyed me.

Move it or Lose it: Extremely boring and Meh, it's just a bunch of nothing. I find it strange that people compare it to episodes like Glove World RIP

The Googly Artiste: Kinda similar to the three above this, except that this one is actually bad. The episode is extremely annoying, boring, unfair to Squidward, stupid, etc

Sportz: I feel like people have been softening up to this episode, I still think it sucks. Extremely annoying and even aggravating, bad charatization, humor is pretty all the same stupid slapstick over and over again, bad plot, and could have been executed so much better. In fact, I have a theory that this episode (and The Incredible Shrinking Sponge) were made entirely for advertising purposes

Squid Baby: Not actually underhated but I hate it so much that I wanted to mention it regardless :P

Wintermelon43 said:
Anyway here's my list:

The Battle of Bikini Bottom: Horrible abomination that is so disgusting that I can't even look at the screen for the majority of the episode. Without a doubt the episode with the animation that bothers me the most. I know I shouldn't be bothered by it so heavily but I am. And also, the whole clean vs dirty battle idea was stupid and the episode was annoying. Sand Castles in the Sand was so much better than this.

The Motion Picture: Most people seem to find it to be amazing, but I just find it meh. It was annoying and had a lot of bad gross-out, and I hated the part where Patrick had blocked the camera with the circle thing. There were some jokes in here that I liked (to be more specific, the part where Mermaid Man messed up his lines, "did somebody say boom?", The beginning moment with the villain's car being towed, and Mermaid Man falling asleep before the movie started were thr jokes I liked), but most of them were annoying or gross. I personally don't get the hype for it

Patrick Smartpants: Mixed episode to me, I liked how we could symphatize with Patrick here and it was a little emotional, but Patrick was also rude and annoying here, and this episode has easily one (two, actually) of the worst sounds I've ever heard in anything. Even The Loud House hasn't had a sound as bad as this one. It's so bad I have to mute it when that sound comes.

The Curse of Bikini Bottom: I find this episode to be really bad, the atmosphere and tone of the episode felt kinda creepy and depressing in a not-good way and it made it uncomfortable to watch, it wasn't funny at all, it was boring, and Spongebob and Patrick got punished really hard here when they didn't do anything wrong. And the only thing good about it was the visuals.

Buried in Time: Extremely boring and forgettable, espicially the Plankton part. It was pretty funny but everything else was a bunch of either meh or pretty bad

Karate Star: Extremely boring and forgettable and a little annoying, I didn't mind Patrick in it that much but I have trouble thinking of too much that I liked about it outside of the idea of Patrick playing karate.

Extreme Spots: Yet again, EXTREMELY boring and forgettable, except this time it's much worse in that than the 2 above were. And this one was annoying too.

Shuffleboarding: Absymal episode, Spongebob and Patrick were extremely annoying and aggravating here, the episode wasn't funny except for one joke, it's really stupid, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are treated way too badly here.

To Squarepants or not to Squarepants: The only thing I liked here was the beginning where it acted like someing insane was going to happen, only to say that Spongebob was changing his pants, and then the women screams. Everything else had horrible charatization with almost every character, extremely frustrating and annoying, boring and forgettable, unfunny, and this had a stupid episode premise. Spongebob LongPants was much better at doing this

The Gift of Gum: Very disgusting and boring, and I disliked the big gum ball. I liked when Spongebob tried to "steal" it and there were people living inside the gum ball, and when the guy yelled at his tires, that's honestly about all I liked though. At least it's much better than The Amazing World of Gumball, although that's not saying much.

Waiting: I feel like nobody ever mentions it but I find it severly annoying and Spongebob ****** me off here.

Mermaid Man vs. Spongebob: After the first minute it wasn't funny at all and it was boring and forgettable, yet again. I feel like somethig really cool could have come from this idea but instead we just got a bunch of boredom.

Le Big Switch: Extremely annoying, stereotypical, and boring. Maybe even a little mean-spirited

Slide Whistle Stooges: It's the same joke over and over again. That's it

Porous Pockets: Extremely boring and annoying, and Spongebob was terrible here. At the very least it isn't like the similar Loud House episode.

Grooming Gary: The first 8 minutes were terrible, just a bunch of Gary abuse and all the other pets suffered the same treatment, and it was very boring and annoying. It got better once it got to the pet riot though.

Trenchbillies: Extremely annoying, boring, steroeotypical, gross, and frustrating, with an absymal ending.

Free Samples: People call it one of the best episode of Season 8 and I don't see it at all, extremely boring and possibly the most forgettable episode of the series. Perfectly average. I can barely even remember what happens in it.

The Other Patty: Extremely boring, just a worse version of Best Frenemies, and Spongebob trying to force Mr Krabs and Plankton o be friends really annoyed me.

Move it or Lose it: Extremely boring and Meh, it's just a bunch of nothing. I find it strange that people compare it to episodes like Glove World RIP

The Googly Artiste: Kinda similar to the three above this, except that this one is actually bad. The episode is extremely annoying, boring, unfair to Squidward, stupid, etc

Sportz: I feel like people have been softening up to this episode, I still think it sucks. Extremely annoying and even aggravating, bad charatization, humor is pretty all the same stupid slapstick over and over again, bad plot, and could have been executed so much better. In fact, I have a theory that this episode (and The Incredible Shrinking Sponge) were made entirely for advertising purposes

Squid Baby: Not actually underhated but I hate it so much that I wanted to mention it regardless :P
Interesting list.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I'll never understand why the Clash of Triton gets away with being considered "Okay" when it's a complete failure of storytelling that makes the Star Wars prequels look compelling in comparison. And there wasn't a single joke.
"This is imported wood. Imported straight from the dumpster out back"
Pretty sure that's the only good joke in it though so you do have a point still.

Wintermelon43 said:
"This is imported wood. Imported straight from the dumpster out back"
Pretty sure that's the only good joke in it though so you do have a point still.
I thought the jokes with the fish watching Neptune eat were good.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Probably Fungus Among Us. People are a little forgiving of it due to it being a S5 episode (it’s bad, but not that bad), but I rate it among the worst episodes of all time.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
The Clash of Triton is the worst special ever. I'm still in disbelief that it was my favorite episode of the show during my early days on SBMania.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
There's only a few episodes that I downright hate more than the average SpongeBuddy, but I'll explain them.

Fungus Among Us: I know that this one is hated by many, but I cannot stand it. I like the foreshadowing and the ending, but everything in the middle was just wrong on so many levels. I don't want to see SpongeBob covered in mold for 11 minutes, thank you.

To Love a Patty: I cannot comprehend why some people find it less bad than other episodes. This one isn't really that underhated, but it deserves more hate IMO. It's creepy, unfunny, and disgusting garbage that makes me lose my lunch whenever I watch it. Especially the rotten Krabby Patty parts, yuck. There were only one or two jokes that I laughed at.

Pet or Pests: This is an episode that gets overshadowed by other "infamous" eppies like APFG, OCM, and AYHN but this was worse than all of them combined. I hate it so much.

Clash of Triton: I have so much to say about this one, but I'll keep it brief: everything here feels so cliche and soap opera-esque. SpongeBob isn't really the show to handle the philosophy between a father and a son (yes, I'm paraphrasing PGR here), and this episode is no exception.

Summer Job: Super boring, LOOONG, and ruins one of my favorite shippings of the show. Yay. I've always wanted to see Mrs. Puff get blackmailed by the yellow sponge.

Big Sister Sam: Sam is basically like Patrick, but dumber, more of a jerk, and way more unlikeable. I just wanna stab Sam with a fork. Give her a taste of her own medicine in a way.

BackToSpongebob

Floating Shopping List
There are only a very small amount of Spongebob episodes I don’t like, with one of those being Gift of Gum. It’s just a strange episode I don’t like at all. But the episode it is paired with, Best Day Ever, is a great one!

dmandaboi

I love SBM
BackToSpongebob said:
There are only a very small amount of Spongebob episodes I don’t like, with one of those being Gift of Gum. It’s just a strange episode I don’t like at all. But the episode it is paired with, Best Day Ever, is a great one!
Well, The Gift of Gum isn't really hated, so It'd fit on this topic (for you, at least).

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Interesting enough topic, may as well post a handful.
  • Nothing before Season 5. Really, every episode before that point that is "bad" gets the negative reception it deserves. If anything, a handful are over-hated, like "Whale of a Birthday."
  • Once we get to Season 5, however, I could probably name a decent number.
  • "Night Light" - This episode feels entirely pointless. It moves from one point to another constantly, but each point feels disjointed and awkward, and it doesn't help make up for a kind of lame plot. The idea of a character facing their fears can be interesting, but just watching SpongeBob purchase a bunch of nightlights leaves nothing I can really care about. I still need to rewatch much of Season 5, but this is currently holding my worst spot, even over things like "Atlantis SquarePantis," where I still stand by the opinion that it'd be a "Meh" episode if it weren't 45 minutes.
  • "Fungus Among Us" gets a bit more hate than "Night Light," but still not enough, considering it's still often still placed above less bad episodes like "Atlantis SquarePantis" and "Waiting" (which are still bad, but not as bad as typically agreed upon in my opinion.) The episode is pretty disgusting, and the lack of many attempts of humor really doesn't help. I can't really remember any jokes in this episode other than the guy who asks for priority because of his accent, which is actually kind of funny. Not one of the worst, but one that does deserve just a bit more than it gets.
  • "Professor Squidward" is surprisingly one of the only ones I could think of in Season 6, but it's also a season I need to rewatch quite a bit. Anyway, this episode feels really meandering, and repetitive after so many similarly lame episodes of a similar variety. Cutting SpongeBob and Patrick could've given this episode more of an identity, but ultimately it just falls into the same boat as so many other episodes about SpongeBob and Patrick annoying Squidward that just aren't handled right.
  • While I haven't been able to say too much about most of these episodes, we're about to get juicy, starting with "The Clash of Triton." While prior to seeing this one I had seen stuff that's worst, such as "The Splinter," typically those episodes I kinda expected to be at that level of quality because people talk about them so much. "The Clash of Triton," however, oftentimes goes under the radar, which I can not understand at all. It feels like an episode that's aiming for a stronger story than its comedy, but the story itself is really lame, so ultimately it ends up with neither, when the best episodes typically have a bit of both, which makes this double-length episode especially hard to sit through. The title and advertisements are abominably misleading, maybe not to the degree of "Truth or Square," but at least that episode gets the hate it deserves. And heck, there's nothing really here that can redeem it in comparison to other episodes. "SpongeBob You're Fired" had the food fight scene, which at least was moderately entertaining, Atlantis SquarePantis at least felt special and never got too frustrating, and "Truth or Square" at least took its time to experiment with some cool visual styles, as boring as the episode may be. There is nothing in Triton worth coming back to, and it is easily one of the show's worst.
  • While I guess "Clash of Triton" has nothing to talk about that could potentially leave it more of a blank spot in peoples' heads in comparison, "Summer Job" has no reason not to deserve at least two or three times the hatred it currently gets. I mean, it's an episode about blackmail for goodness sake. If "One Coarse Meal" and "A Pal for Gary" get as much hate as they do for their controversial subjects, then I feel that this episode should be played up on the same leagues, but typically it just slides under the radar. Again, there's only one joke I find moderately entertaining in this episode (the gag with the bell, to be exact), but unlike "Fungus Among Us," this episode goes beyond being bad and feels almost uncomfortable to watch.
  • I can not think of a single thing in "The Cent of Money" that has any substance whatsoever. Even in the episodes listed above, usually they still hold some sort of story and conflict. This episode repeats one plot point over and over, which wasn't really all that funny in the first place. I don't have quite as much to say about this one that I haven't already stated, but really, that's because it's easily the show's most lacking episode. The plot is predictable, and it relies on a joke which at this point, has really been done to death, without any sort of creative spin. "Kracked Krabs" was earlier this same season, and showed me that even if the show is to fall back on one joke, it ultimately can still find clever enough spins to keep it moving. Unfortunately, "The Cent of Money" lacks said clever spins. The entire episode feels like an idea for a plot, rather than an actual plot itself.
  • "Enchanted Tiki Dreams" falls more-so under "over-praised" than "under-hated." It's an alright episode, but "treating a butt monkey decently" isn't really something to praise, especially when the beginning is still kind of annoying, and the humor is a bit lacking. Far from a bad episode, but some others have put "meh" episodes on this list, so I may as well give my cup of tea on one.
  • "Drive-Thru" is similarly not a bad episode, but gets just a bit more praise than it warrants. I like that it's a return to the fast-paced gag-based format that the earlier seasons were known so well for, but ultimately, the animation, voice acting, and script aren't willing to move at the same pace. If the exact same episode was produced today, chances are it could be really good, if only because the pacing would move along with the episode, but as it stands, I just find it "whatever."
  • While I understand why people may enjoy "Glove World R.I.P.," it still holds as one of my least favorite episodes. To put it simple, I don't think a single joke in the episode really hits, which in a gag-based show, is pretty much the most important thing to have. This episode is one with plenty of good ideas, but just really poor execution of them.
  • And starting Season 9 it sort of goes back to "I can't really think of anything overhated. Any bad episodes get the amount of hate they deserve, if not more."

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
[*]While I understand why people may enjoy "Glove World R.I.P.," it still holds as one of my least favorite episodes. To put it simple, I don't think a single joke in the episode really hits, which in a gag-based show, is pretty much the most important thing to have. This episode is one with plenty of good ideas, but just really poor execution of them.
Not even "We've gone this far, why start now?"?

Back