Stephen Hillenburg Passes Away at 57

QuadrilateralPants

Imitation Krab
May he rest in peace, the creative mastermind who is the only reason that this wonderful community is here today. Thanks for uniting so many of us, and making so many of our childhoods. We'll miss you, but we won't forget you, and your beautiful show will always be an eye opening reminder of the fantastic person who shaped so many of us. Thank you.

SpOnGeFaN818

Wumbologist
So I know I haven't posted here in many moons, but considering how both SpongeBob (the show) and SBM were such a crucial part of my childhood, it definitely feels like the time to pay my respects.

My admiration for Steve Hillenburg knows basically no boundaries. I was inspired by him from nine or ten years old, when I watched the bonus features on the complete First Season DVD and learned about his work making the show. Ever since then SpongeBob became a foundational part of my life, just in general. I was obsessed with the first three seasons for years and years, and can still quote them off the top of my head. I delayed my birthday party a month just so my fifth grade class could go on a field trip to see the movie opening day. I'm not kidding when I say that SpongeBob (and by default Hillenburg) played a massive part in shaping my love of popular culture. And even though I don't actively watch new episodes anymore, I still think it's one of the best shows ever made for kids, because there's just soooo much it has to offer for adults too (And from what I understand the show actually got good again when Hillenburg returned). And while I knew that it was only a matter of time before the ALS got him, I definitely was not prepared for it to be this quick. I've definitely been feeling heartbreak most of the day, but also gratitude. Without Hillenburg I wouldn't have discovered this forum, and I even doubt that I'd be the person that I am today. He made everything to do with the show and SBM possible, and I think that's a gift to all of us.
(Sorry, I know this was long but the show was that important to my life)

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Steve.
Rest in peace, you creative genius and legend.

EntertainmentFanatic

Part Computer or Something
SpongeBob is my absolute favorite cartoon/tv show ever, and it will always stay that way. Granted some of the later seasons aren't as strong it will always have a special place in my heart. But more importantly, Stephen Hillenburg inspired me and still inspires me to this day. I'm going to keep chasing my dream, and I really just want to thank him for all he has done. I would not be where I am in my life without him and his creations. I am 100% sure SpongeBob has shaped my comedy style and my way of thinking. I personally had never met Steve but I really wish I did, I wanted to let him know how much I appreciate him and look up to him, but sadly I can't anymore. Anyways, R.I.P, gone but never forgotten. <3

Niffy01

Part Computer or Something
Don't really know what to say, just came to pay my respects. The news really hit me when I had time to process it after reading the article again. Thank you, Stephen Hillenburg

Wow is this sad, the one and only Hillenburg was my role model for me to draw and made me aspire to make cartoons. Stephen's work managed to amaze me from when I was a toddler to where I am now and it still manages to amaze how a yellow sponge made it big with the help of his creator. I thought he would go on for longer, but unfortunately I was wrong. Condolences to his family and here is to the 19 years he owned his beloved sponge.

Invincibubble

Krabby Patty Perfectionist
I.... I don't know what to say. I saw this news earlier in the middle of one of my classes and I just started crying in the back of the room. Stephen Hillenburg had created something that is extremely precious not just to myself but millions of others worldwide. My condolences go out to his friends and family as well as the SpongeBob crew consisting of members old and new. SpongeBob has seriously helped me a lot in life, especially in recent years, and I just want to say thank you to Mr. Hillenburg. I will forever be in debt to what he has done for me, I just wish I was able to give back to him in return. Something I truly admire was his passion in his show, even after being diagnosed with a deadly disease like ALS, he was still passionate and selfless enough to continue working on his creation for fans like myself as well as all of you, and for that I am extremely grateful. If it wasn't for SpongeBob, I may have not met many of my best friends today. I remember first joining this site in 2014 and since then I've met some members I still talk to regularly today. I know I sound like a broken record but I seriously cannot express how grateful I am for this man's creation. Rest in peace Mr. Stephen Hillenburg, you will never be forgotten. :sbbye2:

NT

Shocked and saddened over the news...Thank you for creating SpongeBob, a show that has filled me with laugher and inspiration throught the years. Thank you..

Murvine Taylor

Proud Hater of GoAnimate Boris!
Invincibubble said:
I.... I don't know what to say. I saw this news earlier in the middle of one of my classes and I just started crying in the back of the room. Stephen Hillenburg had created something that is extremely precious not just to myself but millions of others worldwide. My condolences go out to his friends and family as well as the SpongeBob crew consisting of members old and new. SpongeBob has seriously helped me a lot in life, especially in recent years, and I just want to say thank you to Mr. Hillenburg. I will forever be in debt to what he has done for me, I just wish I was able to give back to him in return. Something I truly admire was his passion in his show, even after being diagnosed with a deadly disease like ALS, he was still passionate and selfless enough to continue working on his creation for fans like myself as well as all of you, and for that I am extremely grateful. If it wasn't for SpongeBob, I may have not met many of my best friends today. I remember first joining this site in 2014 and since then I've met some members I still talk to regularly today. I know I sound like a broken record but I seriously cannot express how grateful I am for this man's creation. Rest in peace Mr. Stephen Hillenburg, you will never be forgotten. :sbbye2:
That post was so beautiful.

Just like everyone else, I am very sad about Mr. Hillenburg's passing but I am also grateful for this amazing creation that he brought us. Even though I never knew Mr. Hillenburg personally, I am going to miss him a lot.

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I know I've been MIA here for a while, but I just wanted to pay my respects to one of, if not, the most brilliant and creative person who made this planet smile. Stephen Hillenburg was a giant in everyone's childhoods, and rightfully so. It's been a joy to grow up with SpongeBob, and to see the man behind the force now gone is so disheartening. RIP Mr. Hillenburg.

BobCarotte

meep
Stan Lee, Robbie Rotten and now Stephen Hillenburg. We lost some legends this year, including the creator of the show this forum is about. It's pretty sad to see him go at such a young age. As a long-time SpongeBob fan, he is a very important person for me so this is pretty much heartbreaking news. Rest in peace, Steve. :(

hfjs

I still can’t believe that this happened. Hillenburg truly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as all time greats, leaving a clear artistic footprint wherever he went. He will be missed dearly. RIP

Back