Stephen Hillenburg Passes Away at 57

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
He did more than just make our childhoods amazing and inspire us as we grew up... he LITERALLY BROUGHT ALL OF US together. THIS VERY FORUM WOULDN’T EXIST without him (nor would SBC), and the friendships I and everybody else here have made likely would never have been MADE without him. So I think this cuts even deeper than we’re mentioning because... well, dammit, his creation created bonds and HELPED US MAKE FRIENDS! He helped many of the more awkward and lonely lot of us (myself definitely included) feel not so alone! Think about THAT aspect of it for a moment. He HELPED US MAKE FRIENDS.

Rest in peace, Stephen. Thank you for bringing an amazing community of fans together through your outstanding and visionary work.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
This is one of the most, if not THE saddest news in animation history. Without this amazing guy, we wouldn't have forums like this, Encyclopedia SpongeBobia Wikia, and we definitely wouldn't have a fantastic series like this one, SpongeBob SquarePants. I'm at a loss for words :( It's hard to say that the man who created one of the most iconic shows ever, is gone. Thank you for everything you've done.

R.I.P. Steven Hillenburg (8/21/1961-11/26/2018)

Prayers especially go out to Nickelodeon, and his family and friends

If it wasn't for your creation, I wouldn't be as open.

You've done good Hillenburg, you've done good :)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I just cannot believe this. I'm so shocked right now I can barely speak. SpongeBob is my favorite show of all time, and Stephen Hillenburg was the one that made that happen. SpongeBob is such a staple in television, it has affected it in so many ways. In losing Stephen Hillenburg, we have lost an animation pioneer. SpongeBob has really touched the lives on many, and I actually mean this. I mean, look at us right now, we're all on a SpongeBob fansite, and we wouldn't have even heard of each other if it wasn't for this great show.

RIP Stephen Hillenburg, thank you for creating the best show of all time.

Flabby Patty

Flabby Patty > Krusty Krab
As someone who has been an avid SpongeBob viewer since the age of 2, I will fondly miss Stephen Hillenburg and his presence over the show. His marine biology experience, work on other shows and the creation of the undersea world of Bikini Bottom impacted many people around him and the world over.

R.I.P. to you Steve. He was #1.

Prime Jedi

The only other person to have made a show or film who had an impact on my life that equals Mr. Hillenburg's impact is George Lucas's impact. It really is sad to hear that he died at such a young age, he deserved to live to at least 87.

This was terrible news to hear from an already bad day, and I hope they make one hell of a tribute for him.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Hillenburg-1961-2018

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
Wow. This is the first time I'm alive when one of my childhood heroes die. It's not very fun.

Thank you for everything, Stephen Hillenburg! You will be missed.
Wow. This is the first time I'm alive when one of my childhood heroes die. It's not very fun.

Thank you for everything, Stephen Hillenburg! You will be missed.

Mike Myers' Cat

Imitation Krab
This is...

saddening.

R.I.P.

Stephen Hillbenburg

You will be missed...

:sbbye2: :sad: :( :cry:

giphy.gif

This is such sad news to hear. We've lost somebody so passionate about what he did. He made a tremendous impact on my life, there is still no show to this day that I have as much of a connection with as SpongeBob. Not only has he impacted my life, I know that he has impacted everybody's lives here for the better as well and played such a major role in bettering so many childhoods. May he rest in peace.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
Came back here to pay my respects.
SpongeBob, in many ways, shaped my childhood, and even today influences me in subtle ways that I didn't really think about until now. References to the show have become so integrated into internet culture that it's easy to forget how huge Stephen's creation has become. Without him I think we would be living in a very different world.
Today's a bad day for rain.
See You Ocean Man...

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars
Wow.

Just...just wow.

Stephen Hillenburg inspired me in so many ways, like a lot of people on this forum. His writing, his animation work, and just the creation of Spongebob in general.

He was the one who made all of this possible. The forum, the fans, Nickelodeon, everything.

May he rest in piece.

(Side note: you spelled "Hillenburg" wrong)

realcodyjnutt

Floating Shopping List
This is sad and just truly heartbreaking. I knew he was going to go sometime when I found out he was diagnosed with ALS, I was hoping he'd last for a few years longer, I didn't want him to go so soon. I'm trying so hard not to tear up just typing this out alone.

Coffee_lover

Banished
Even though I not really motivated myself for crying to death,I need to admit that something inside me feels...off now...

Rest In Peace,creator of my main source of creativity and happiness that been growing with me all my life.It’s such a big,sad,loss.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
Wow, I am at lost for words.

I don't normally post much here anymore, but when I heard the news I felt truely devistated inside and I feel like I have to say something. I remember watching the show all the time ever since I could remember, had CDs and DVDs. This show has a very special place in my heart no matter if I still watch show or not. So I will say, Thank you, Stephen, for all the hard work you've put with this show for years and thanks for all you have inspired many many MANY people to create and thank you for all the lessons you have gave us.

Back