Stephen Hillenburg Passes Away at 57

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
This is heartbreaking news. The man behind the show that inspired me to draw cartoons of my own. His vision was so unique and different, and it has become one of the most well known and universally loved properties in the history of animation. And it continues to be quoted and talked about, and will still be loved and remembered long after it ends. Rest in peace Stephen, you really were one of a kind.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
I just wanted to sign in and and express my condolences after hearing the news. SpongeBob was my favourite cartoon growing up. I watched it nearly every day, I waited and waited for the movie to come out, I listened to the soundtrack CD on repeat, and I had such great times meeting and talking to people in the online SpongeBob community, especially on here. To this day I still think the first three seasons are some of the funniest TV ever made. Thank you Stephen Hillenburg for dreaming up SpongeBob and making it what it was. Rest in peace.

SG-17

Imitation Krab
I remember when Help Wanted premiered after the Kid's Choice Awards in May 1999. I was 7 but I still remember it clearly. SpongeBob, up through the first movie, was incredibly important to me growing up in the early 2000s. The world was so serious and bled into all of our lives because of 9/11 and the Wars, SpongeBob was a refuge of unassailable optimism and humor.

I hope the 20th anniversary next year includes a big tribute to Hillenburg.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Stephen Hillenburg was a man of talent, humbleness, and above all, integrity. The phrase "Too soon" is a tad cliché, but overall fits my outlook on Stephen's unfortunate passing, it was merely a blimp in time since his diagnosis, that we've lost this wonderful man. There's no need to go into great detail how his creation revolutionized television, and the great impact he's had on generations of children worldwide, but rather express an appreciation for the man behind the sponge. He was a good man, a man of family who had great respect for the art he was so passionate about. His character was above all narcissistic or undesirable traits, he was an honest man who simply had a love for life, all sorts, marine, animated, whatever is was, he was a man of pure gratitude. To that, may he rest in peace.

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
I was going to leave this forum forever, but then I heard the news... So i'm deeply sad about this. I hope i don't get too emotional about this...

SpongeBob as a Show means a lot to me ever since I started watching it on TV, ever since i was like 5 years old, this show is truely my childhood, growing up in my preteens, I started doodling cartoons, despite Little Bird is the first character I claim I created actually that was, Martha the Cat being actually one of the first characters I've ever created for a cartoon. Then from there I started to make my own something akin to SpongeBob, I still love it even after the movie, even in the dark ages of SpongeBob, I still love the show, I haven't watched the rest of the newer seasons, I still support the show. I was into SpongeBob as a kid, his show is really influential and marked a generation of kids, like you, like me, despite my hatred thoughs the memes of the show that people nowadays do I understand that. This show has impacted me, Insipired me, made me happy, laugh, etc...

But for now... Rest in Peace, Mr. Hillenburg, you will be truely missed.

I'll dedicate my show in his memory for being my inspiration.

TheOtherSpongebob

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Spongebob was the greatest when Hillenburg was first at the wheel, and when he left, things just turned downhill. Even today's episodes can't compare to the first three seasons Stephen brought to us. His creation of Spongebob and all the other characters in the show have made a legacy beyond his career. Rest in Piece, Stephen Hillenburg.

Stephen Hillenburg

(1961-2018) Keep being spongey. :cry:

ThatSkynyrdKid70

2 year club
The man who created 90% of my childhood, one of my personal heroes among the likes of James Hetfield. Rest in peace, friend. You created the show I've been watching since the day I was born, and I couldn't thank you enough. So long, Mr. Hillenburg.

John Reeves

Dang. This IS not news I wanted to wake up to today. I'm sad an amazing, talented guy who MADE my childhood had to suffer with such a horrible disease and pass so soon. :( He's the man who made my favorite cartoon. He's the man who got me interested in animation. HE'S the man who created my favorite cartoon character of all time. Without Squidward or SpongeBob in general, I don't know what my life would be like.

I hope Mr. Hillenburg rests in a better place. Thanks for the memories, the laughs and many more, Hillenburg. Godspeed.

~Prez

aidan2110

Baby Clam
RIP to a legend.

DtB4f4WWoAMcqlF.jpg

Back