Stephen Hillenburg Passes Away at 57

Cha

I love SBM
Man.. the guy was literally so inspiring. Although I never met him personally except for the voice actors, he was the coolest guy a kid could look up to. Growing up this was my absolute favorite cartoon and still holds an importance of how I grew up and even met online people who I call best friends now. This is so heartbreaking and happened so fast. RIP to one of Nick’s top legends. You will be heavily missed Mr. Hillenburg.

0KYqIQR.jpg

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-dead-dies-stephen-hillenburg-1203037362/
https://twitter.com/nickelodeon/status/1067471668363313152

Purdy

::dolphin noise::
This is pretty damn surreal. You spend your entire life a big fan of this cartoon, and the guy who created it, one of your biggest inspirations, is dead now. I wonder what's going to happen to the series?

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Purdy said:
This is pretty damn surreal. You spend your entire life a big fan of this cartoon, and the guy who created it, one of your biggest inspirations, is dead now. I wonder what's going to happen to the series?
Given how Nick kept it going after he initially left in 2004, I certainly do not see them cancelling it.

But yeah this is really sad news, Stephen was one of the first people I ever looked up to as a kid. I knew the ALS diagnosis wasn't great, but I still figured he could hang for at least a few more years(Jason Becker got ALS and he's still around)

Cloud Flower

Baby Clam
Wow.... : (
His art brought so much joy to so many people. I am so thankful that he gave us the world of Spongebob.
Even though he's passed on, a part of him will always live on through our love of Spongebob. His creative vision made a huge mark on our culture, and will continue to inspire others.

Rest in Peace, Stephen...

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
Wow, an IRL friend of mine shared this on Facebook and I just couldn’t believe the news. SpongeBob was my favorite cartoon growing up (as evidenced by my username) and it’s led to me discovering this great site with amazing people on it (even if I haven’t been active lately), so it’s heartbreaking that Stephen, the show’s creator, has passed away. May he Rest In Peace and condolences towards his family and fans everywhere.

Krakatoa

Imitation Krab
This man was instrumental in defining my childhood, whether I realized it back then or not.

My heart cries for somebody who only brought joy to our lives. And of course his family must be taking his death harder than any of us.

Nevertheless, thank you, Stephen. Thank you for the memories.

Lemonaise

Imitation Krab
I think most of us here have never lived in a world without SpongeBob. It’s surreal to think the man who started it all is no longer with us. Stephen Hillenburg is my biggest influence and biggest inspiration. He created my favorite show of all time, and I’m sure most of you can agree. However, SpongeBob is not just a show to me. It means a lot more. He is apart of the family, he is an international icon. He has shaped my sense of humor and personality. He has reached multiple generations with his everlasting appeal. When life was great, SpongeBob was there. When the life wasn’t easy, SpongeBob was there. But most of all, he is a Goofy Goober. All of these attributes would never be here if it weren’t for the genius that is Stephen Hillenburg. So, thank you Stephen Hillenburg. Thank you for the memories. Thank you for the laughs. Thank you for SpongeBob SquarePants.

“As long as there are stars in the sky, SpongeBob will live on in our hearts, and in our minds”

49cbda72cdb3ae46f579375cdfbf21d8.jpg

Back