Stephen Hillenburg Passes Away at 57

Doc Hunter

Banished
Were it not for this marine biologist cartoonist dude, I not only wouldn't have my favorite cartoon of all time, but I never would have made some amazing friends here in folks like RK. SpongeBob, for better or worse, has had a gigantic impact on my life. I'll never forget that.

Farewell, Mr. Hillenburg, and may flights of jellyfish sing thee to thy rest.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Credit to TTS for this:

SpongeBob: Isn't he beautiful?
Patrick: How high is he going to go?
SpongeBob: All the way, Patrick, up to the great beyond. Goodbye, friend.
Patrick: Happy trails!
SpongeBob: He's on the other side now.
Patrick: Yeah. He's in a better place.

THE FEELS, MAN! THE FEELS!

Also just wanted to mention, PLEASE don't say "oh this year sucks because *this person* died". It's not cool. You can't help who dies during every year, it's just how life works. All it does it make you come off as very disrespectful. Yes, it's sad that many people you may know or love die every year, but you can't blame it on a number.

~Prez

Ellie Williams

Moby Dollar
I'm so sad to be informed that our childhood legend Stephen Hillenburg has passed on, I'm having tear jerker while typing but I have a right to be, I remember last year on March when he was diagnosed with ALS and it hurts me on the inside but I kept praying for him and now I never thought this day would come, thanks Steve for everything including our childhood, your creation of SpongeBob holds a special place in my heart, you'll be missed also farewell friend.

FLAPPIN' FLOTSAM!

Imitation Krab
I dont care. Im 19 and cried. This man enhanced not only my imagination but my whole entire childhood experience. He bettered the childhoods of all children from all different households/families. Rest in peace steve. Still cant believe it but thank you for everything. You inspired me to pursue my dreams and to NEVER lose my childlike mentality, optimistic outlook, strong sense of imagination, and overall integrity. Rest in peace

JaiTheGuyReturns

Baby Clam
I've been absent for a while around here, but I just wanted to come back in order to tell you how much this man's creation means to me. I don't really watch Spongebob that often anymore, but it is still one of, if not the greatest cartoons ever made. It's funny how a tragic event like this was enough to make me return to this site that I had previously abandoned. I'm staying.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Chris said:
Season 13 and up will be different if Season 13 and up exist.

Sad he didn't make it until at least after the 2020 SpongeBob movie.
There's the possibility that they'll dedicate the next movie to Steve Hillenburg. His cartoon practically changed the face of Nickelodeon and cartoons in general.
Whatever awards he has earned (or will earn), will now be earned posthumously.

R.I.P. Stephen Hillenburg
Marine biologist/animator
Creator of SpongeBob SquarePants
(1961-2018)

Fred Mercury

Mylegian Rhapsody
Respect and wish a rest in peace to my or our great childhood messiah. Don't cry about it, at least he is happy and don't suffer anymore there. I hope the torch of childhood culture like SpongeBob will always lit up and passed to the new generations or at least extinguished happily without anymore (misunderstood) decline.

RIP

The Man who Beautified our Childhood

1961-2018

crushingmayhem

Krabby Patty Burglar
The creator of a great series such as Spongebob had to pass away due to illness. Its really sad considering he was only 57 and still had plenty of years ahead of him. He made our childhoods worthwhile with his creation, and that's something i'll always remember him for. Rest in peace Stephen Hillenburg.

Mysterious Stranger

You may be gone
But your memory keeps on.
My heart longs for you
When you spread your wings and flew.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to realize
The good one has until time flies.
I’m thankful that you were here
And that you gave me a childhood to endear.

Who says good things have to end?
Obviously someone who has never made a friend.
You are very special to me
And I am glad that you are free.

I will always cherish your gifts that we had.
When I think of you, I will be glad
Not because you are away,
But in my heart, you will always be here to stay.

Thank you for everything.
I am able to be happy and sing
For I know one thing is true:
Our lives were better because of you!

R.I.P. Stephen Hillenburg

Ihavedahswag

Take it to the Top!
This news really upset me.
I've never been particularly affected by "celebrity death" before, but I have to confess that the loss of Stephen Hillenburg has reduced me to tears a few times.
To lose an incredibly creative guy at such a young age is really not fair.
Best wishes to his family, colleagues and any other fans out there who are taking the news hard. xx

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
Responsible for Nickelodeon's greatest and most successful cartoon. His legacy as an animator and creator is set in stone for centuries. Rest well Mr. Hillenburg.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
SBRoxMan said:
I made this video tribute for him earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=CNvZxtY3sDs
That was beautiful.

I was very disappointed when I first heard this, but it'll be alright because his pain is now over. You may not realize how horrible of a condition ALS is. It is a little disheartening due to this form (and SBC) being dedicated to him, but I promise the pain will ease over time. Try to be optimistic about the whole thing.

Back