Stephen Hillenburg Diagnosed with ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailor Mouth

Floating Shopping List
My heart is broken :( This is just terrible; he's an amazing guy and he didn't deserve this.

isbsp_yt

Approximately 10 Hours Later...
Oh no...i hope hillenburg dosen't die...let's hope spongebob stays alive for season 11, 12, 13 and so on...if the show even continues

Luray

Sea Creatures Rule!!!
the same place where Bill Watterson and Amelia Air
for the majority of my life, Spongebob was [and still is] my biggest influence and favorite show of all time, and to hear its creator be diagnosed with and uncurable disease with a fluctuating, uncertain lifespan is so utterly heartbreaking, it's hard to manifest into words.

I've had Numerous birthday parties, Halloweens, Christmases, and other events related or dedicated to SpongeBob, I have loads of merchandise, know any quote from the majority of the series, and is something can still bring up with my friends at any point and they will know exactly what I'm talking about. His creation helped not only me but Millions upon Millions of other people, young and old, around the world, find happiness and spread joy.

Hopefully, Mr. Hillenburg will be able to work on the show for years to come. My condolences go out to his family and friends, and the cast and crew working on SpongeBob.

#GetWellHillenburg

PinkPearl

insert title here
spongedude said:
Not to be a party-pooper here, but ALS isn't something you can "get well" from. I know it's meant well by whoever is doing it, and I'm positive Stephen is an absolute realist about his condition, but I just worry that social media initiatives of this nature (and here I'm talking in general) allow people to kind of gloss over the reality of a bad situation. It's wonderful and important that fans show him all the love and support they wish, so long as we acknowledge that it cannot change his condition one bit.

For my part though, I'm remiss to eulogize him like he's already dead (which, no offense, we seem to be doing a little bit here). I've got nothing but good will for Mr. Hillenburg, and I'm not calling anything for anyone. Nature has her own plans.

And you know what? He's 55 years old and he's lived a pretty fortunate life up until now. A lot of people would take that trade in an instant. :)
I noticed that too. I was going to acknowledge it last night, then I went to bed and forgot :P He's still around but a lot of people are treating him like he's already dead. I'd just focus on the fact that he's alive and still working on the show for now, and we can appreciate it while it's happening. I agree too with the fact that he's lived a good, pretty long life and we can be grateful for that.

That hashtag is yet another means of what I call social media activism. I went on a rant about the whole thing a while ago...it means well, but it often gets things wrong. At least people's thoughts are in the right place?

Dang, I didn't know we were up to five pages already. I hope nobody else has said this. If so, my apologies.

Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
It's truly official, the SpongeBob Facebook page posted a link to the article :(
r2nUB1h.png

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
BenPaz said:
why would you want the show to keep going after he dies. That would just be disrespectful.
So his legacy can live on?

Walt Disney's studio is still going, and he died over 50 years ago.

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
BeanoSponge said:
So his legacy can live on?

Walt Disney's studio is still going, and he died over 50 years ago.
oh of course the legacy will still be there, but there's a difference between a large studio and a creator driven show

I was hoping this was not real, but it unfortunately looks like it is. I was just watching SpongeBob and reading SBM and I find this... I don't know what to say, it feels like my heart has broke into a million pieces. I researched ALS and see how it affects you and it will greatly affect you, I feel very sorry for Hillenburg. But, who am I to say that if I am not even him. I really hope he gets better, this guy created a whole lot of my childhood, ever since I was 1 1/2 years old. Also, as KairiKeyBasH stated, he has inspired me to begin drawing and I wish to dedicate one of my drawings to him one day in the future. You know, miracles can happen and I pray a miracle will happen to Hillenburg. I was scared as soon as I read the title of this topic. :cry: :sad:
Support and prayers to Stephen Hillenburg and his family.

SpongeBob And Patrick

I hate Wednesdays!
Rochester, New York State, The United States Of Am
I was hoping this was not real, but it unfortunately looks like it is. I was just watching SpongeBob and reading SBM and I find this... I don't know what to say, it feels like my heart has broke into a million pieces. I researched ALS and see how it affects you and it will greatly affect you, I feel very sorry for Hillenburg. But, who am I to say that if I am not even him. I really hope he gets better, this guy created a whole lot of my childhood, ever since I was 1 1/2 years old. Also, as KairiKeyBasH stated, he has inspired me to begin drawing and I wish to dedicate one of my drawings to him one day in the future. You know, miracles can happen and I pray a miracle will happen to Hillenburg. I was scared as soon as I read the title of this topic. :cry: :sad:
Support and prayers to Stephen Hillenburg and his family.
Well, Stephen Hawking has had it for over fifty years and he's still alive (and is also named Stephen)...

Professor Patrick

"Why must every 11 minutes of my life be filled wi
I don't post on this site as much as I used to, but I feel as I should say something.

Stephen Hillenburg has been such a huge part of my life and my childhood, and I cannot thank him enough for making my childhood so great. He is the reason I love art, and if I ever get my own cartoon, I will always think of the huge impact that Hillenburg left in my life. SpongeBob has always been my favorite cartoon of all time, and it still is to this day. When I went through the hardest times in my life, I always thought of that one SpongeBob quote, or scene that made me laugh so much, and then I was in a better mood. All of my thoughts and prayers go out to my childhood hero and his family and friends. I don't know how long Hillenburg will live for, but I hope he gets to see his creation end in the way he wants it to.

Forever a Goofy Goober.

KarateSponge

Parawhore
He is definitely one of my biggest influences and to have him diagnosed with ALS is horrible. He's lived one of the greatest lives some of us could only dream of. For this, I also wanna think about becoming a show creator/show writer, because of how the Spongebob episodes influenced me, and in honor of him. My thoughts go out to all of his loved ones, as well as himself.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
AlphaWarhawk said:
I don't know what's more of a shocker: this news, or the fact that you're here responding to it.
A lot of old members have been coming back and respond to this thread to appreciate him, even though they haven't been on in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back