SSPB's 5 Most Underrated Episodes of Each Season (1-8)

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
I can't believe it's been over a week since I updated this. Time for my favorite season, season three (shocking). Though season 3 is probably the most common favorite season, I still find there to be lots of underrated/overhated episodes, like Dumped and I'm With Stupid from season 2. I think the season gets the Band Geeks treatment and people are so tired of hearing about it so a lot of the episodes are treated like they're terrible. So unlike season 2 I found no trouble filling this season's list.

Honorable Mentions-
SpongeGuard on Duty
The Bully
One Krabs Trash
The Sponge Who Could Fly
Squilliam Returns

​#5

Episode-Krabby Land
Production-57a
Premiered-4/3/2004

Here's one that doesn't seem too well liked for a season 3 episode. I find it very underrated but still one of my bottom season 3 episodes. A lot of people don't care for the episode for the SB abuse, and it bothers me too, but I think it's still a great episode. Lots of humor again which is what lands it on the list, SB's summer celebration (with every season except it), Krabs driving the boat on the ground, coloring books/liability wavers, Krabby the clown himself/blue tomato, and of course Cheapy the Cheapskate are just some of it. SpongeBob had a great performance in this episode injuring himself for the sake of the nasty children, it was humorous, and seems to fit his character. Mr. Krabs had some funny moments, but was abusive towards SB in some scenes, Squidward was humorous, but the children's performance was so abusive, and didn't make it the most enjoyable episode, overall a weak point for season 3, but a strong funny episode in general, that was very abusive in parts, and doesn't have the highest replay value for season 3.

​Episode-As Seen on TV
Production-47a
​Premiered-3/8/2002

​A lot of people seem bothered by SpongeBob's arrogance in this episode so it isn't the highest regarded season 3 episode, but I find it hilarious and love it. I personally found SpongeBob's arrogance to be very humorous and produced lots of funny moments. I think it's actually pretty funny in episodes where SB gets arrogant, because of his normally charming character, and the false circumstances around it. That's why I like this episode, Wigstruck, Born To Be Wild , and even to an extent Karate Island more than most people. I see why it bothers some but for me it adds a lot to this episode. Such a funny episode with humor spread all throughout it, the famous opening scene, 3:28AM, the actual commercial, and all of SpongeBob's act from there with Bran Flakes, the autographs, Mr. Krabs' office, and of course "Striped Sweater". Squidward was also very funny in his short time, as was Mr. Krabs, overall a brilliant episode whose main detractor adds points for me.

​#3

​Episode-Born Again Krabs
Production-56a
​Premiered-10/4/2003

​Here's where the list starts getting interesting. This like the next three episodes are terribly regarded for pre-movie, and the worst of season 3 to most people. I don't want to sound like a pre-movie purist, but all three are some excellent episodes in my opinion. To me this and number one both seem overhated because they contain themes from some episodes from the post-movie that are regarded as terrible episodes. This episode, Mr. Krabs' cheapness. Again I consider this episode great because of how funny they made Mr. Krabs' cheapness here. Tons of memorable humor from the episode, Harold Flower, 62 cents, Squidward's act, SpongeBob BacksassPants, Mr. Krabs thinking he's dreaming and what came after it, and lots of other moments throughout. What this episode surprisingly does so well is the characters. SpongeBob defending Mr. Krabs, Squidward actually getting mad at Mr. Krabs for trading away SpongeBob, and while it's an episode revolving around a cheap Mr. Krabs, he actually realizes what he's done at the end (the moral), and made him humorous throughout the episode. I see why people don't care for it because of Mr. Krabs but I found it a great episode, not one of the best of the series, but a top 100 episode for me.

​Episode-Party Pooper Pants (SpongeBob's House Party)
Production-51
​Premiered-5/17/2002

​I don't really know why this episode isn't liked more. This was the lowest rated season 3 episode, and it seems it's not liked for a combination of small things that bother people all added up, SpongeBob being the episode title, SpongeBob being abused, the police, and Patchy. I find the episode's concept funny to begin with; a random house party and seeing the characters awkwardly interact due to the forced nature of it. That makes the whole SB portion of the episode funny to begin with, but again I found a lot of brilliant humor throughout. I liked the opening with the narrator, and Patchy with the invitations, the grocery store scene I found very funny, as was SpongeBob reading from the kit, the schedule, the deviled eggs part. Then back to Patchy again for a while which I found pretty good, Patchy's video series, and the bands were the highlights. Then SpongeBob's party with the awkward interactions was very humorous, especially with Patrick and "Mild season", then SpongeBob getting mad over his schedule throughout the episode was very funny, Squidward, Plankton, and Patrick's hilarious dancing are some of the best parts. The next hilarious scene was SB getting locked out and being scared seeing everyone enjoying themselves, Patrick's weird scene with Mrs. Puff, and SpongeBob getting flipped out of the window somehow and his reaction. A big problem people had was the season 7 police performance, and while the arrest was ridiculous it was to add humor so I didn't mind that part THAT much. Plus it was a very small part of the episode. Then back to Patchy who I found funny with his instrument, and then the Underwater Fun song which is pretty well regarded it seems. The ending got strange but I didn't take anything away for it. Overall a lot of underrated humor, and detractions that weren't big enough to severely effect the quality for me. People thought it was quite dull too, but that added a lot to the episode during the SpongeBob segments.

​#1 Underrated Season 3 Episode Is

Episode-The Great Snail Race
Production-55a
Premiered-1/24/2003

This is a brilliant episode. It's not liked that much because of the Gary abuse, but unlike A Pal For Gary SpongeBob actually realizes what he's done and cries for him at the end making for some nice moments at the end, plus never did it get THAT irritating to watch so that helps too. The Great Snail Race is as expected for season 3 packed with humor and great moments which makes me love this episode. From the opening part, "Pure-bread", Gary being a mutt, Rocky, Lightning Larry Luciano, Rocky winning, Squidward's name, and an excellent Patrick performance throughout the episode it really makes it underrated and overhated for Gary abuse. I can see why people wouldn't like the episode for that and it brought it down a bit for me too, but the episode's humor, and memorable moments, makes it too good to ignore. I really wouldn't compare it to APFG either, more of a better, funnier, and quality Grooming Gary (SpongeBob wanting to enter Gary in a competition to prove he's the best snail, but going too far.)

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I’m happy to see you come back to this topic. It’s already giving rather interesting answers considering I had problems with the end of Season 3 (the only one I agree with you on is As Seen On TV), but it’s only going to get crazier with the next couple seasons.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Despite the fact it's my fourth favorite season, Season 4 is actually my favorite season to watch. Why? I love the atmosphere and the animation for one, but also because most the episodes from the season are underrated and makes me feel I'm discovering something watching them, plus I feel the season is best indicative of the range of quality in episodes in SpongeBob in one season and helps me improve rating episodes. I almost wanted to create a top 10 for this season due to how many underrated episodes litter this season.

Honorable Mentions (these are all a lot more underrated than usual H.M.'s)-
Best Frenemies
Wigstruck
New Leaf
The Lost Mattress
Rule of Dumb

Season 4

#5 (Highly Disagreeable Choices Start Now!)

Episode-Driven to Tears
Production-77a
Premiered-2/19/2007

This choice shows that if there's enough humor in the episode I generally still regard some abusive episodes well, pre or post movie and these two prove it. Up first Driven to Tears. This episode isn't liked much for a very jerky Patrick performance, though that takes the episode down some notches for me I still find it a very good episode and underrated. I loved the humor in this one mostly watching SpongeBob get increasingly annoyed with Patrick. Humorous moments start at the beginning with SB&Patrick at the boating school, Patrick taking the boating test, and Patrick's "Do I get a free keychain?" after being the millionth driver. Though Patrick is very jerkish in the next scenes, him and SB still produce lots of humor during the part they're driving around Patrick's house and the following ones at night and the next day watching SB getting increasingly irritated like when Patrick saw SB's parents. Patrick's jerkishness goes a little overboard after that, but not enough to completely ruin a very funny episode for me. Plus I liked the ending with the emotional music to Patrick and SpongeBob being reunited and Patrick throwing the boat away for the boat being out of gas. Very underrated episode overall but with a very jerkish Patrick performance that doesn't ruin the episode for me.

​#4 ​(Brace Yourself)

​Episode-Good Neighbors
Production-64b
​Premiered-5/20/2005

​Here's the most controversial choice yet. God this episode is irritating but no where near one of the worst of the series. To be clear this isn't above a 4-5/10 for me, but it's too funny to be put with the worst of the series. This is pure Squidward abuse, no way around that. Pure Squidward abuse. HOWEVER, I found myself laughing at a lot of the episode and seething at other parts. This is probably considered SpongeBob's first "terrible" episode by most people. What got it there though? Honestly except for a few episodes, a lot of early season 4 is of pre-movie quality. This is one where I think the desired effect of slapstick comedy went too far and became the first episode to really fit the definition of pure Squidward torture. But contrary to most people I really don't find it that offending. Why? It had it's moments. There was good banter and humor in the episode and the amazing part. Squidward exploding on SB&Patrick, blowing through his door and the fezzes part. After that the episode really got irritating, with SB&Patrick, but even Squidward not accepting the apology and causing his house to randomly turn into a monster. The ending was very unlikable, but at least SB&Patrick got punishment too, probably something Squidward didn't want though.. Overall WAY too abusive of an episode, but a lot of the damaged was saved by early season 4 charm and humorous moments. This is the first episode of the series to get irritating to watch and started Squidward abuse episodes, however it really isn't that flagrant of an episode to use as an example.

​#3

​Episode-Enemy In-Law
Production-67b
​Premiered-10/11/2005

​Well here's a random episode. This one almost NEVER gets mentioned except for one of my favorite and funniest moments that has become a very popular post movie moment it seems, WIFE (Wired Integrated Female Electroencephalograph). This is really one that fits as an underrated season 4 episode for me. The story itself first of all is a very intriguing to me. Plankton in love with Mama Krabs. A story most people never thought they'd hear. But it's underrated to me because it's filled with humor. The banter at the beginning with Plankton&Karen was a very funny way to start, and the next scene with them, and Plankton looking at the live-action Krab as Mama Krabs. Krabs stealing a hat from a dead person and wanting to Squidward to return it was hilarious. Then there's scene at the Krusty Krab, Plankton appearing as a walking carnation, the whole confusion scene of all the names being shouted was another great moment. Plankton had a lot of great humorous lines throughout and as odd as it was seeing him love Mama Krabs here, it really made a very funny episode with lots of underrated humor. The last scenes were also very good. Overall a great episode that fits the definition of underrated to me.

​Episode-Hocus Pocus
Production-76a
​Premiered-1/15/2007

​This is one of my most underrated episodes of the whole series! It's a very meh episode for most with lots of people not being able to get past the plotline. As ridiculous as the plot seems I find it fitting with SpongeBob's naivety to believe he turned Squidward into ice cream and his magic kit worked. This episode is packed with funny moments that are never mentioned. There's the opening with SpongeBob and the popcorn and a favorite of mine "Bikini Bottom Car Wash" as a TV show, then the Magic Kit commercial itself which I liked, SpongeBob being in the mail repeatedly. Then the scene with Squidward despite being annoying is made great for Squidward's reaction throughout specifically the face he made when SB put the card in his hand. Then came the part where SB thought he turned Squidward into ice cream, and the funny scene with the kid in the car, which as ridiculous as it sounds, seems believable enough with SB's naivety. The scene with Patrick and the ice cream I found funny aswell as the middle part of the episode. The ending was good aswell at the magic castle, and I liked Squidward's return. Overall an episode I find great and humorous and maybe my second most underrated of the series.

#1 ​Most Underrated Season 4 Episode Is:

​Episode-Squidtastic Voyage
Production-75a
​Premiered-10/6/2006

​How I love this episode. This is my most underrated episode in all of SpongeBob and do I ever find it brilliant! What an undertalked about, underrated, hilarious, and adventurous episode this was. Most find it decent, I find a whole lot better because of all these factors. The episode begins with a funny dance scene with great music in it and the French narrator, then we get a hilarious weird scene of a bunch of strange noises coming from Squidward's house when SpongeBob goes inside of him and a mom looking disapprovingly and covering her kid's ears. I loved Squidward's sarcasm to Sandy's plan, "Why don't you just shrink the reed?" and the next part with Patrick coming along in the next part "Shrink? Well I do have a lot of issues", then episode takes off once Squidward realizes SB&Patrick are in the submarine inside him, his reaction was hilarious and it was followed up with tons of great moments from all four characters. Some highlights; Patrick calling Squidward's insides a dump, Patrick axing the submarine thinking Sandy's trapped, and abusive as it was Squidward losing control of himself with SB&Patrick destroying him from the inside was hilarious. We also had Squidward kicking Sandy's tail saying he wasn't in control of his actions which was great. There was just tons of humor in here nearly every moment was funny in some way, and the climax was good aswell. Some found the ending disturbing but I found it hilarious with Patrick clogging the toilet inside Squidward and the submarine being full size in him. Awesome episode overall and one that makes me sad to see never get talked about. Also this was an incredibly aesthetically pleasing episode for being inside someone. This is my most underrated episode, but there's still plenty more to come :thumbsup:

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Season 5 I find to be the most underrated whole season of SpongeBob. Lots of the season really has a pre-movie feel to it and there are surprisingly a lot of excellent episodes that fit in with seasons 1-3 and 4. It is by far though the most inconsistent season. Most episodes were either brilliant or season 6 level quality with only a few in between in the okay/decent category. So again a decent amount of underrated episodes to come from here:

Honorable Mentions-

Rise and Shine (barely)
Bucket Sweet Bucket
Slimy Dancing
Banned in Bikini Bottom (Overhated to me, contains some good humor and funny moments from Squidward, still only about a 4/10 though)

Season 5

​#5 (Tie)

Episode-Pat No Pay
Production-93b
Premiered-8/2/2007

I don't know why I just... liked this one. It's obviously a very short episode so I can't really give a large explanation why, but it didn't bother me that much. Maybe Patrick's dumbness is so innocent compared to episodes like Yours, Mine, and Mine, maybe it's Mr. Krabs finally having the unlucky treatment in the episode, I don't know I just like it. For a three-minute episode I thought it was quite funny. I know it's just Patrick wrecking ::dolphin noise: but the obnoxious cartooniness of Patrick failing at simple tasks repeatedly fit quite well with the season five short episode format and made it humorous. I liked the part with SB's fourth wall break at the start, Patrick eating the handsoap, and there was just something about the way Mr. Krabs said "You've destroyed many of the things I love." while sobbing and holding ice cubes after such a simple task that I cared for, among other things. It's not an award winning episode but I find it to be one of the better shorts of season 5.

Second #5

Episode-BlackJack
Production-93c
​Premiered-8/2/2007

​Looking at recent reviews this episode seems to be received a lot better than it use to be. Most now think of it as a meh sort of episode rather than bad but some think it's really good too. A while ago this was thought of as a bad episode, and one of the first notoriously unliked (at the time) episodes I saw a lot of good in. For the episode itself, it's on here for a lot of reasons in addition to good quality. For one I love the story/concept of the episode. This is the only completely family related episode I recall from the show. We have Grandma's Kisses and A SquarePants Family Vacation but both featured Patrick. A rarity for the show; it's interesting to see an episode completely revolve around SpongeBob's family, and a one-off character I liked (Uncle Cap'n Blue). In addition it's a surprisingly entertaining episode and suspenseful in parts sort of with the notes. I thought there was some underrated humor in it too specifically once SB gets to Uncle Captain Blue's house. I found the part with SB doing all the work extremely fast with funny crazy background music playing to be very entertaining and quite funny. The ending made no sense, but it didn't affect me that much with my rating of the episode. I found it quite funny too that BlackJack went to jail just for littering the whole time. Overall an entertaining, humorous episode that is a bit mean spirited and had a more confusing ending than Doing Time.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
EmployeeAMillion said:
Loving how this is getting more daring. Overall more interesting to see which episodes in the less popular seasons you find to be good (and determining which ones I agree with you on is fun).
Thanks, after my years following this site I'm glad my first list has been compelling to read. I actually love watching the post-movie too finding underrated episodes that are good or great within disliked seasons.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
​#4

Episode-Le Big Switch
Production-91b
Premiered-9/29/2007

Here's one already thought of as one of Season 5's better episodes, but I think of even more highly. The story is interesting seeing SpongeBob trying to cook something else other than Krabby Patties and the Krusty Krab having a new cook. The French cook in the Krusty Krab produced lots of funny moments with Squidward and Mr. Krabs. It was also good to see the ship in a bottle restaurant again. There is a great deal of humor here that is pretty underrated and made me a big fan of this episode compared to most people. I especially loved the scene towards the end with the Krusty Krab going out of business with Mr. Krabs and Squidward. My favorite line was Squidward wanting the Repo Men to put him down and Mr. Krabs saying he sold him and the line "They keep you, I keep my knee caps." Very underrated overall and one I find myself enjoying more than most do.

RDSP

Banished
I also personally think that Blackjack is either overhated or at least underrated... although I'd probably only give it a 6/10.

Overall, while I (at least somewhat) disagree with some entries on this list, it is rather interesting to see someone else's opinion.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
RDSP said:
I also personally think that Blackjack is either overhated or at least underrated... although I'd probably only give it a 6/10.

Overall, while I (at least somewhat) disagree with some entries on this list, it is rather interesting to see someone else's opinion.

That's about where I'd rate it too, I think it's a lot better than people give it credit for, but still only a decent rating for me. Same as Good Neighbors, I still don't think of it over a 4.5/10 but no where near one of the worst of the series. A lot of these I think are more overhated than underrated if that makes any sense.

#3 (Most Controversy Yet!)

​Episode-Breath of Fresh Squidward
Production-87a
​Premiered-7/26/2007

Make no mistake about it this is still only a 5/10 episode for me, but I don't feel this is anywhere near the worst of the series. It's a very mean spirited episode by everyone involved but it's got some redeemable factors that make me like it a whole lot more than most. This was originally on the honorable mentions but I promoted fit rom #6 to 3 and demoted Pat No Pay, as the difference of opinion wasn't as big as this one. This is one that was never really noticed for a while but has in the last couple of years really become abhorred by a lot fans. As for the episode, the story for one is interesting seeing Squidward actually want to be around SpongeBob, I thought there was good humor too seeing Squidward being nice and everyone creeped out by it but the episode really suffers from SpongeBob having a very mean-spirited performance and becoming nasty towards Squidward at the end. But compared to one like A Pal For Gary you see it gradually progress through the episode rather than jerkiness through the whole episode. As I mentioned Squidward being nice was funny to see for one, but everyone being creeped out was funny aswell especially at the Krusty Krab with the customers. I also liked Mr. Krabs' line "Me costumers come here for cheap food and verbal abuse." The ending I liked too. Overall an episode that loses a lot because of SpongeBob but had a lot going for it that makes me feel this one is overhated, I can see why it is though.

​Note-I might edit #5 and make it a tie because of a new #4.

​Note-New Order for Season 5

​5 (tie)-Pat No Pay
5 (tie)-BlackJack
​4-Le Big Switch
3-Breath of Fresh Squidward

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
​#2

​Episode-Boat Smarts
​Production-84b
Premiered-7/23/2007

​As I said in my Pat No Pay review, I loved the idea of the season five shorts, and there might be no better episode to me to represent the fast-paced, entertaining, slapstick humorous tone of these short episodes than Boat Smarts. People don't care for this one too much a large part because it's filled with Squidward being abused because of SpongeBob's dumbness in this episode. To me this episode is pure entertainment, and humor in a three-minute instructional video. Firstly, I love the concept of a short being a short instructional video, but what makes me think it's so underrated is that it's a crazy episode of action and funny scenes. Another hard episode to defend as it's mostly just SB crashing Squidward but they did it in such a comedic, entertaining way, such as the live-action car crash with Squidward, it made me take a fancy to it. What helps I guess is there's another character in Mrs. Puff to at least show she sides with Squidward, something uncommon in Squidward abuse episodes. Overall a very entertaining humorous short that I can see why isn't liked, but I found quite entertaining.

​#1 ​Underrated Season 5 Episode Is:

​Episode-Spy Buddies
Production-84a
​Premiered-7/23/2007

​What a fantastic episode, this is actually a full-length episode I believe, tripled with two shorts, but it had all the action and crazy humorous qualities the shorts had. This is one of the best episodes in all of the post-movie, and is one of the better of the whole series to me. Amazing episode filled with hilarious action scenes, funny moments, and so much entertainment. The concept of the episode was already good seeing SpongeBob & Patrick as spies, but the episode itself is brilliant. Right from the beginning, I loved the title-card music, but there were tons of funny scenes in this one, Patrick putting the Krabby Patty in his pants when it's self destructing, the whole scene with Plankton in town, Patrick's pants-radio, and the climax of the episode with Patrick exploding the Chum Bucket with his lazer pants, the follow-up with Squidward and Mr. Krabs at the Krusty Krab, and the battle scene at the end (I loved the music Plankton played through the KK), and the ending was funny too. Overall an action-packed episode with so many funny action scenes, that I think is well liked but I absolutely loved.

​Season 6

Season 6 is an underrated season in general in the sense that it is overhated to the point where it's treated like a crime to humanity. It's still my bottom season but I don't think of it with any ill-will like that, just littered with some of the shows weakest episodes. Honestly it was hard for me to cobble together five underrated episodes as most are "rated" just fine, and they're underrated to the point that they would be honorable mentions in other seasons. So the HM's I could barely fill out will just be "mentions"

Mentions-
Nautical Novice (overhated for ending)
Patty Caper (overhated for ending)
Cephalopod Lodge (barely)
Gullible Pants (barely)
Truth or Square (SB portion underrated)

Season 6

​#5

​Episode-To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants
​Production-116b
​Premiered-7/17/2009

Barely underrated, but on the list for the second half of the episode. SpongeBob LongPants did this story a lot better, but there was some underrated humor in the second half here. The beginning was good with the black and white storm footage being the lead in to SpongeBob changing his pants. I liked watching SB while listening to Patrick, but it was a very slow start to the episode. The episode got very irritating when Patrick didn't think he was SpongeBob and wouldn't let him in his own house, but once SB got to the Krusty Krab the story definitely picked up a bit. Though it was sad seeing SpongeBob thinking he'd have to start his life over it did make for some humorous scenes with Squidward that greatly improved the episode. I loved the "lots and lots of felonies" part, and Squidward's sarcasm and SpongeBob learning from him was funny to watch. The ending wasn't grand as there wasn't a solution or anything. Not that underrated but I appreciated SpongeBob with Squidward in this episode.

RDSP

Banished
Actually, admittedly... I like To Squarepants or not to Squarepants. Patrick is annoying throughout (for the most part) but other than that and some inconsistent animation, I don't have too much wrong with that episode... *hides in nuclear bunker*

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Wintermelon43 said:
So far, it's been episodes I find 1/10 :P

Brace yourself, you haven't seen anything yet.

Get ready!

​#4

​Episode-The Card
Production-113b
​Premiered-11/28/2008

More controversy on a list I had no idea was full of such controversial choices when I thought up the idea. This is a very disliked episode and hated by lots of people, mostly because it's eleven minutes of Patrick being dumb and unintentionally causing SpongeBob abuse of sorts here. I don't think this is anywhere near the bottom of the series but still only about a 4-4.5/10 episode. For one, Patrick was not a jerk in this episode. This got no where near as irritating to watch for me as episodes like Yours, Mine, and Mine. What he was however was very dumb and mindless in this one, and it became an eleven minute episode that was very focused on one theme with a storyline designed to cause you to become frustrated at Patrick here. To it's credit though I thought it was funny for such a one-dimensional episode, but because the mindlessness was through the whole episode instead of having a charmingly dumb Patrick with off the wall quotes like a lot of other great episodes, you get an episode that's entire focus is Patrick mindlessly walking about while viewers feel sympathy for SpongeBob. The ending proves Patrick was not a jerk here, actually quite nice to SpongeBob giving all of his cards he had left (except one) so it was a nice way to end the episode, but your not getting too far quality wise having an episode entirely dependent on one theme for every facet of the episode.

​#3

Episode-The Splinter
Production-105a
Premiered-6/2/2008

Well if the list couldn't get any more controversial, let's throw in a universally hated episode that is one thought to epitomize season 6's poor quality and gross-out humor. Yes, I find The Splinter overhated. It's about a 3.5/10 for me rather than in my bottom 10-15. Why? Well outside of being very gross, and a few jerkish moments, I didn't find much else wrong with it. There's underrated humor in here, especially with Squidward, even though he was a tad jerkish in this episode. It's too gross to overlook though when criticizing the episode, and having the main focus be increasingly gross animation of SB's thumb isn't going to improve anything. Patrick was jerkish here too and probably had the most annoying scene but I liked his med school comment. Then we had the renown ending which was more gross out humor, something I rarely find to be a fan of. Maybe because the gross-out was just with skin rather than internal organs, I don't know, but I didn't find it to be one of the worst series.

​#2

Episode-SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One
Production-111
Premiered-4/17/2009

Okay okay okay, let's just move on to a less controversial choice. SBSPVTBO is number two on the list. This maybe the most untalked about special in the history of the show. I've always loved this one, it just feels relaxing. It has a very comfortable atmosphere for being such a perilous episode. I loved the feel of the episode, it did the surfing island dwellers theme brilliantly and had a lot of nice scenery. Beyond that I loved the episode because there's underrated humor, a suspenseful story, and I thought did quite well with two subplots with Krabs and Sandy aswell. It was slow in parts, but I really didn't mind as that's when a lot of the relaxation theme and scenery and song I really liked for it's relaxing feel came into focus. There was underrated banter between SB, Patrick, and Squidward in this episode, and with Krabs and the Flying Dutchman. My favorite parts were the instructional surfing overvoice, The trio meeting Jack Kahuna Laguna (JKL), the Davy Jones part, and Patrick who had a funny showing here. The climax was a very exciting scene too, and the ending was a bit of a rip-off, but did you really expect a sacrifice? A nice ending it ended up being, and no one really got abused much this episode (not even Squidward). Overall a nice relaxing episode underrated in lots of areas.

#1 ​Underrated Season 6 Episode Is:

Episode-Komputer Overload
Production-118b
Premiered-3/19/2009

All those controversial choices lead up to one I think may be pretty agreeable. Komputer Overload is the most underrated in season 6 in my opinion. It was a great episode revolving around Karen and Plankton who always produce funny banter, and that's really what propelled it on the list. Very humorous moments here, Plankton taking the drive-thru order, Plankton and Karen arguing after that leading to the picture, Plankton after being smashed by the mallet, and the climax of the episode ending with the machine being unplugged from the wall, among other funny moments. The Plankton/Karen interaction and banter is what makes the episode. It was very funny to listen to and watch and made for a nice ending too. These two always get rather nasty with each other in these types of episodes, but I can't help but laugh as it always makes for funny moments revolving around both's sarcasm and Plankton being small, and Karen a computer. Overall this felt like a great episode that fit the underrated episode category, and was one of the best of season 6.

How have I had 50 posts already?

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Season 7 is an interesting season. The first half and LOBB may have more episodes with an even lower quality than season 6, but I found myself rather enjoying the end of the season. There were lots of underrated, under-talked about episodes from that part of the season and it makes it rather interesting and more enjoyable to watch them. I think after LOBB in production order the series began a slow, gradual incline having a lot better episodes with very low quality ones happening progressively fewer and more in between.

Honorable Mentions-
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (only a 4/10 for me but I like more than most)
Greasy Buffoons
Kracked Krabs
Hide and Then What Happens? (same as SITKWS)
Whelk Attack

​Season 7

​#5

​Episode-Gramma's Secret Recipe
Production-139a
​Premiered-7/6/2010

This list isn't going to be like season 6. There's a lot more underrated episodes in season 7 than 6, so finding them wasn't as hard, and as a result all five of these I find decent-very good episodes. So the first is Gramma's Secret Recipe. I honestly wasn't bothered by much in this one. To start I don't really think of episodes like "Oh just another Plankton steals the formula episodes." It's Plankton's role in the series, it's what he's there for. If another episode is more creative and funny I'll rate it better, but I won't take points away from it because it didn't stand out or it's already been done. This is one of those I think isn't rated well because it's "just another Plankton steals the formula episode." I think Plankton is a fun character to watch in these types of episodes, seeing him become slowly and slowly more irritable and I liked his performance here. SpongeBob being naïve I thought was believable here, it's humorous watching Plankton get irritable while SB is of course treating him like a Grandma. I also liked the opening scene with Plankton and the doctor and Plankton envisioning his scheme and other points of the episode were highlights. It's not the greatest episode, and the ending wasn't either, but I think it's a pretty okay episode overall.

​#4

Episode-Model Sponge
Production-130b
Premiered-11/27/2009

Here's one thought of as a very average episode. I liked it a decent bit more and thought of it as one of season 7's better installments. It's one of those episodes where I'm not really bothered by anything except Mr. Krabs not explaining the misunderstanding at the end. There's underrated humor in here and interesting to see SpongeBob try being something different (like a Sponge). It's not an off the charts incredible episode, having some slow scenes, and not very memorable, but a decent-good episode that I appreciate. Some highlights were the little guy part, Patrick had a good part motivating SB, I liked the drinkable sausage and the billboard suggestion, and the bathroom part was gross but I thought it was pretty good actually seeing SB as a sponge. It was also a bit cheesy at times, but Hans made an appearance! A good episode overall, and a fair bit underrated.

​#3

​Episode-Shellback Shenanigans
Production-147b
Premiered-9/18/2010

Here's one of those probably put in the "just another Plankton formula" episode. Some seem to really like it but most think it's another average episode and okay. This actually was a pretty good idea to start by Plankton. We actually see them spying on the conversation, so we know where this off the wall plotline comes from. It makes the list as I thought it was one of the most humorous episodes of season 7. There's some very underrated humor in here, and it makes it funny to watch the story progress too. These parts were mostly at the hospital and the whole concept of SB thinking Gary was sick but the doctors unable to find anything wrong with him, I liked Plankton's pitching towards the beginning, Plankton thinking Karen was in the hospital, and the pill part were the highlights. The ending was also great seeing Gary go in and beat up Plankton. Overall an underrated episode, with underrated humor, and a great ending.

​#2

Episode-The Masterpiece
Production-148a
Premiered-10/2/2010

Another one of three late season episodes to really surprise me and take a spot on the list. The top two are also my two favorites for season 7. So what makes me love this episode? Great banter between Mr. Krabs and Squidward, the hilarious statue, the undercover part was good, and no one getting abused through much of the episode. It took a little while to get going but that's where a lot of the great banter and undercover scenes comes into play. I liked Squidward's soap drama, Mr. Krabs flying atop him to see the commercial, and then SpongeBob's not a pen actually a pencil. SpongeBob going undercover was funny, and he really added to Mr. Krabs and Squidward's back and forths too. Later there was Squidward lecturing Mr. Krabs on his artistic genius, Mr. Krabs being "shy", and a good montage of the statue being built. The statue was hilarious and made that part really funny. The ending was average, but it was a very underrated episode overall and one I love.

#1 ​Most Underrated Season 7 Episode Is:

​Episode-Tunnel of Glove
Production-148b
​Premiered-2/12/2011

​My most underrated and favorite episode of SpongeBob's seventh season is Tunnel of Glove! This episode had a lot and it had too to cover up for an annoying Pearl performance. This episode had some of the season's best humor, an entertaining story to follow, and a great Patrick subplot. The story was interesting as it sees an entire episode on two characters who don't interact much in SpongeBob and Pearl, and it made it in an exciting manner trapped in a tunnel. We always needed a trapped in a tunnel episode! Even if it's an artificial one, so that made the episode entertaining. Patrick is what brings the episode to my favorite of the season. He had many highlights here such as his quote at the beginning "There are plenty of fish in the streetcar" (an underwater acknowledgement), Perch Perkins yelling at him through the news, and his entire scene with the electrician was hilarious. It got creepy towards the end, but not enough to diminish the episode. Pearl was also very annoying here mad at SB for the whole episode, but there was so much going for it I didn't get bothered too much by her. Overall a great, funny episode, and my favorite of season 7.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Michael Scott said:
I would say that Frozen Face Off is the most underrated episode. Pretty much so one talks about it, but it is one of my favorites of the show and easily one of the top 5 best specials.
I love this one too, I love the story of it being like a dogsled race (I love winter and winter themes) and was quite humorous it would be on season 8's list but it's seems to have gotten a lot better reception over time after getting a cool treatment when it first aired, very undertalked about though which in turn makes it underrated too.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Well time to start my last complete season I've watched, Season 8. Season 8 really doesn't have too many underrated episodes, all are rated pretty well. Most these episodes are underrated a bit and once and awhile someone will come on and say they hated it, so most of these would probably be honorable mentions in other seasons. The show does improve and becomes a bit more consistently good through the season with the occasional season 6-7 quality episode. Here it goes:

Honorable Mentions-

10) Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!
9) Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation
8) Walking the Plankton
7) Move It or Lose It
6) A Friendly Game

Season 8

​#5

​Episode-Accidents Will Happen
Production-153a
​Premiered-7/19/2011

Here's one that almost never gets mentioned. Most seem to think it's a decent episode but some don't like it. This is a surprising episode as it has an interesting story seeing Mr. Krabs forced to pamper Squidward and it's humorous too. There were a bunch of funny scenes in here and underrated subtle moments, like SpongeBob's medical check, SB asking Mr. Krabs if he's criminally negligent, Patrick with a Frankendoodle reference with a Finland, Mr. Krabs forced to pamper Squidward, and I loved Squidward's fabrication of what happened. I also liked the ending as Squidward wasn't punished in a terrible way like Chum Fricassee or other episodes, he was just forced to do what he made Krabs do. Good episode and one that's rarely talked about.

Back