SSPB's 5 Most Underrated Episodes of Each Season (1-8)

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Hello everyone, so today instead of harassing everyone asking for their opinions on SpongeBob with failed games I kept changing, I'll post some of my own. These are my five most underrated episodes per season. Before anyone asks (assuming anyone cares), I haven't seen Season 9 in it's entirety nor seasons 10 or any of 11. I have always ranked and rated episodes but never reviewed them with words and stuff so don't expect too beautiful of reviews.

Season 1

Episode-Jellyfishing
Episode-3a
Premiered-7/31/1999

To be fair a lot of people love this episode but a lot don't for the Squidward abuse in the episode. I also don't really hear the episode talked about a lot either so I don't know current feelings on it. I use to also overlook this episode for the Squidward abuse aswell but once I realized how much humor is in it for the third episode of the series and how the Squidward abuse is actually funny instead of annoying this episode I really became a fan of it. This is also the episode that debuted Jellyfishing as a major part of SpongeBob (simple title). Something that really shows how great this show is is that this is probably around my 135th favorite episode yet there's so many memorable moments. The opening scene, Squidward's sarcasm and then subsequent encounter with the jellyfish, Squidward's return, the actual jellyfishing itself, and of course FIRMLY GRASP IT! S&P heavily abused Squidward but it was so funny to watch and done so innocently that you really couldn't take points away for it. All in all I think it's a great episode but there's just 135ish better than it and the abuse from the big jellyfish at the end was undeserved but the ending was pretty funny despite that.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
One Coarse Meal, A Pal for Gary, Truth or Square, Sportz, Man Ray Returns, Squid Baby, SpongeBob, You're Fired, Smoothe Jazz at BB, Atlantis Squarepantis, Boating Buddies, and Stuck in the Wringer are underrated classics.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
​#4

Episode-I Was a Teenage Gary
Episode-13b
Premiered-10/28/1999

Two controversial choice to start of the list. I agree I Was a Teenage Gary was one of the weakest episodes of season 1. I understand why people don't like it, in fact it was in my bottom 15 episodes six years ago. But now I find the episode to be good. The episode was still creepy but tolerable in that aspect. Squidward while being terribly inconsiderate in this episode did produce some funny moments later, like when he hid all the snail food in his mouth talking to SpongeBob, or my favorite quote "Oh how touching I'm going to go home and throw up!" and meeting Gary earlier in the episode and of course the ending saves it. Patrick was pretty humorous too in his short time. Not that great of an episode but it's not bad either. Very creepy I understand, but I guess I got used to it.

​Episode-Walking Small
​Episode-18b
Premiered-3/22/2000

This is probably towards the bottom of most people's 100 favorite episodes, but I find it a lot better than that. This was such a funny episode seeing Plankton getting so worked up trying to teach SpongeBob to be assertive. I loved the beginning with the kid and the bulldozer, Plankton's act crying with the ice cream cones about having two, Insertive, Now let him have it! You can have it, Plankton getting in SpongeBob's mouth threatening the eel, "You want to take a hike with me?" SpongeBob threatening to tie the guys shoes. The humor is everywhere in this episode. Seeing SpongeBob misinterpreting all of Plankton's threats was hilarious. The ending was great too. Plankton was great in this episode his reaction to SpongeBob's niceness and misinterpretation was so funny to watch that you almost felt bad for him towards the end. It all combines in to an episode I don't think gets near enough attention.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
EmployeeAMillion said:
Interesting choices so far, and it’ll only get moreso, considering Season 1 episodes are the easiest to defend.
Agreed. Almost the whole season are great episodes they're just overshadowed by the next two pre-movie seasons. There also really aren't episodes I'd rate under 5.5/10, so that part actually makes it harder finding episodes already rated well by everyone but are still underrated.

Before I continue, I mostly decide the most underrated episodes by imagining about the public rank for an episode and then my own. I also will tend to put episodes closer to being my favorite than episodes that aren't higher on my list despite bigger rank differential. For example even though I like I Was a Teenage Gary far more than most people do, Walking Small though already a 100ish episode to most people is more worthy of praise to me because I find it about a Top 50-60 episode. Basically closer to the top an episode is- the less difference there needs to be. No better will that be demonstrated with:

​#2

Episode-Employee of the Month
Episode-12b
Premiered-10/2/1999

This episode is far from treated poorly. Many people consider this the favorite or close to their favorite season 1 episode. But a lot of people think it is good but nothing special. I absolutely love this episode it is for sure my favorite of season 1 and a top 30-35 in the series for me. This is an absolutely hilarious piece of brilliance. SpongeBob and Squidward were incredible in this episode. This is such a fun episode with such brilliant humor. The competition between the two in this episode is so fun to watch. This is one of the only episodes I can remember Squidward caring about his job, but they did it in such a realistic manner. He could care less about his job he just wanted to be better than SpongeBob. The exchanges between the two were so hilarious. Squidward calling SB a loser and him coming back with 26-time loser, the fake handshake, and the way they kept trapping each other had me laughing the whole time. Not to mention the alarm clock scene, and Squidward seeing SpongeBob's arm in his pillow and throwing it. The fan and the patty, the lead, the ship and bottle. All culminating into the next morning and Squidward attached to a ship and SB an anchor trying to get to work, the fake handshake was hilarious and then some people didn't like the ending but I thought it was great once the two got in the Krusty Krab. Overall just an incredible episode with such brilliant action in addition to comedy, and together with comedy.

#1 Underrated Episode of Season 1 Is:

​Episode-Squidward, the Unfriendly Ghost
​Episode-11b
​Premiered-9/25/1999

​I'll admit it I used to not be to high on season 1. Back a long time ago there were very few episodes from season 1 I really was high on or even remembered. This was one of them. Then I realized what great humor is in season 1 episodes and it became almost as good as seasons 2&3 for me. I used to think this was a very loved episode, but it seems to be in everyone's bottom 10-15 season 1 episodes. This is an easy top 100 episode for me. Probably around 70-75th if I recall from my last ranking. Something funny about it is that it's such a dark episode. SB&Patrick thinking they killed Squidward and this is his ghost. Then the second half of the episode being spent on putting the ghost to rest. I love the blunt humor of this episode. Starting with Patrick saying "oh I thought he was dead", Squidward opening the door and a casket being there and SB saying "OK get in", SB with "Here lies Squidward you may not remember him...", and finally Mr. Krabs with "Oh Squidward we all came as soon as we were sure you were dead". But that's just the blunt humor the whole episode from beginning to end was filled with humor. SB&P with their game that doesn't make sense, the scene with the statue, Squidward being carried around and the watermelon and pie. He was a bit cruel to SB sometimes so it balanced out with those two trying to put him to rest the rest of the episode which was incredibly funny. Then an exasperated Squidward taking off his cap, and SB saying "You're bald!?" and Squidward saying "I'm not your master I'm your neighborrr!" and the rest of the ending was a brilliant end to the episode. There's so much dark humor in this episode but season 1 is so charming it found away to barely make it noticeable. So it's my most underrated season 1 episode.

​Again sorry for the reviews that aren't aesthetically pleasing. Right now they're just are mass cluster of quotes and moments but I think it gives an idea.

​Honorable Mentions:
​Boating School
MM&BB
​Hall Monitor
​Jellyfish Jam
​Squeaky Boots

​Will update later with season 2.

RDSP

Banished
Employee of the Month is my 2nd favourite Season 1 episode but a lot of this list is pretty good.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Jellyfish Jam is around my 120th favorite episode but I still find it underrated. People tend to think of it mediocre for season 1 but I find it great. Glad to see someone love it so much.

Alright now time for the hardest season 2 do this for, Season 2! Season 2 episodes are already so well regarded so this again will be hard to make a list out of but I'll try my best. Some of these episodes are underrated more for the fact they're undertalked about. Also some of these will be extremely controversial so look out!

Season 2
#5 (three way tie)

​Episodes, Dumped, Band Geeks, and Grandma's Kisses
​Episodes-29b, 35b, and 26a
Premiered-3/5/2001, 9/7/2000, and 3/6/2001

It's not that I couldn't decide it's that all three of these episodes are equally underrated and all deserve to be on the list. So for a first three way tie we have the episodes that are viewed as hated, overrated, and a NEW third choice on the list.

​Dumped
Dumped is not liked for a pre-movie episode. I agree it is certainly one of the weakest pre-movie episodes, but I think it gets a lot of hate. I find it a pretty good episode, but it's purely on the list for differential. I agree Patrick was a jerk in this episode and was being nasty to SpongeBob for really no reason considering it's his snail. However, they performed the soap drama feel perfectly with the excellent music choice throughout. It fit the episode brilliantly and really made it feel like a sad soap drama. In addition, SpongeBob and the other pets were humorous, especially Larry. I enjoyed SpongeBob flying in and his joke, and window act. Then the dramatic scenes toward the end while sad were funny as they were making fun of soap dramas.

​Band Geeks
Band Geeks on the total opposite end is widely viewed as the most OVERRATED episode ever in SpongeBob because before that it was viewed as the BEST episode ever. So how does it make an underrated list? For the first reason. Now as some of you might know, Band Geeks is my favorite episode in the series. Yes it's mainstream but it fully deserves it if you ask me. But before I get to the episode itself the perception of it is why it's on the list. I mean seriously this episode is scrutinized for every little thing. I fully respect people's opinions but people will give it a 7/10 for the lighting or something being off in one scene. A lot of people say it's so overrated and think it's only a 7-8/10 episode that it actually makes it underrated. This episode last I checked is 55th in the member ratings index. Yet some people still say it's overrated. I can definitely see how people can like other episodes more since there's so many great episodes in this series, but 55th? I know that some people out there legitimately don't like it, but I feel a lot people don't like it because of all the recognition. The episode itself? It is a perfect episode to me. It's just one scene of hilarity from beginning to end. The humor is incredible beyond golden humor and some of the best of the series and I know people think the ending is overrated. But this is what people have always wanted out of SpongeBob right? A perfect ending, all the main characters (minus Gary), and most of all Squidward winning, and some of the best humor produced. Throughout the episode, the famous mayonnaise/horseradish part, the sedan, Patrick with the instrument IN him, the blimp scene, Plankton's harmonica, and the big fight at the end, everytime I watch it and wonder if another will surpass it, Band Geeks always stays my #1, it is beginning to end my favorite episode in TV history. By far for American television. So yes I do find it underrated.

​Grandma's Kisses
​Thinking about what EAM said I realize MM&BB III is rated well just undertalked about. So I replaced it with one I find underrated and talked about a lot it seems. Grandma's Kisses is a very sweet story and very funny episode completely ruined by the Bikini Bottomites. This was probably their worst performance in the pre-movie with The Sponge Who Could Fly. Squidward was very OOC in this episode too, he is always nasty to SB but doesn't make fun of him it seems as cruelly as he did in this episode. This episode is like the pre-movie House Fancy. This one's a lot better, but it's an episode who's great humor is overshadowed by a one-minute scene. The scene was nasty but it distracts from what a hilarious episode this was. So this episode does fit the underrated category because lots of them don't like this episode and is one of the lowest rated pre-movie episodes due to the scene and the one in the window at the end. I understand that though and that's what keeps me from rating higher, however I still find it underrated. Who could forget Freeform Jazz or Patrick's other ideas. Patrick was also hilarious completely ignoring the plan and going inside with SB's grandma and doing all the things SB likes doing. He was very funny in these scenes eating all the cookies and stuff, and then there was SB with the giant book. Great humor sprinkled throughout aswell. The ending was very sweet until the Bottomites ruined the nice ending, but the story was very nice and relatable. Mature SB was a bit of a jerk and Grandma seemed to be making a bit of a point throughout until SB had enough. Overall a very funny episode underrated because of a pathetic performance by Squidward & the Bottomites.

Klu

Moby Dollar
EmployeeAMillion said:
Are you kidding? MM/BB III is a classic! Then again, picking the least popular Season 2 episodes is like trying to find grey MnMs.
Well... (looks at "I'm with stupid"), then again, even this episode has it's fans. But it's probably going end up in this list anyway.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Before I continue if anyone doesn't like Band Geeks and thinks it's overrated go ahead and say so I wouldn't have any problem with it or lecture anyone on why it's great sorry for the post sounding preachy about it I was saying why I thought it was underrated and my favorite episode.

EmployeeAMillion said:
Are you kidding? MM/BB III is a classic! Then again, picking the least popular Season 2 episodes is like trying to find grey MnMs.
Yeah the public perception of it seems to be pretty great actually I just never see it mentioned too much, I might consider replacing it with Gary Takes a Bath or Grandma's Kisses, or not at all since it was a 3-way tie.

Last minute change! #3 is now 4 and 4 is now 3. But I'm posting them both so it doesn't matter too much.

​#4

Episode-Bossy Boots
​Episode-22b
Premiered-10/26/2000

​Okay now I think I have an undertalked about season 2 episode. Perception of it though seems to be quite a mediocre episode for season 2. I find it to be very underrated but still towards the bottom of season 2. Squidward makes this episode. His performance is brilliant here and gave this episode great humor. The storyline is also interesting seeing Pearl work at the Krusty Krab which seemed unlike her and it turned out it was. But Squidward was hilarious in this episode. The uniform part, him coming in and say "Sure it's a terrible name, but this is a terrible place!", then him ripping off the uniform and the policeman covering his area, unfortunately, that was the end for him in the episode. But I enjoyed the Krusty Krab rename part and Squidward's reaction, hello pole, and SB's sal-ad parts, plus Mr. Krabs office towards the end listing off everything with an expensive price while SB's slowly disappearing into the beanbag. Overall it wasn't the best episode for pre-movie, but Squidward made it very underrated. Again this one being on the more undertalked about side put it on the list I find it just a bit better than people think.

Episode-The Smoking Peanut
Episode-32b
Premiered-3/8/2001

This was originally #4, but I moved it to 3 because not only is it undertalked about, but it's also seems to be quite underrated, a rarity for season 2 episode. I love this episode. The plot point first of all is something that makes this so great. The serious music, the title beginning with the Smoking ------, the police throughout the episode and then you realize it's over a peanut! The whole episode is hilarious and brilliant. The episode gives the perfect feel of it being a serious thing in Bikini Bottom but watching it the whole episode is so ridiculous and funny. Starting with the beginning and Mr. Krabs and free day. The zoo announcer after Clamu went off, the news story with the fish head and people closing their ears' around the world. But the best part of the episode was Patrick investigating. Squidward and Sandy also had some funny parts, but Patrick investigating sand and grass was so hilarious and SB getting nervous from it was so great to watch. Then when the police arrive they say some great things like "did you or did you not take part in various activities of zootime merriment?" and then they arrest Patrick and his reaction saying he's been looking for himself the whole time was so great and funny. But it's not over yet then there was Patrick at the stadium when he said he gets what he deserves, and then SB and his long speech with Patrick humming in the background, and then Mr. Krabs at the end, who I honestly didn't expect. Overall just one hilarious scene and moments after the other, and definitely an episode that fits right in with season 2.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
People like to overexxagerate how bad Dumped is so that they can stick it post-movie haters to prove that "pre-movie isn't perfect too!!!!!!"

If it was a season 6 episode, I doubt it'd get half the hate it gets.
Same with The Sponge Who Could Fly. Like I get it isn't a good episode or anything, but in what way is it one of the worst of the series lol

Klu

Moby Dollar
People like to overexxagerate how bad Dumped is so that they can stick it post-movie haters to prove that "pre-movie isn't perfect too!!!!!!"

If it was a season 6 episode, I doubt it'd get half the hate it gets.
I don't know, I never liked this episode, even when I didn't even know that fans tend to split spongebob into eras and stuff.
I get that this episode tried to parody melodramas, but episodd did it poorly and didn't quite reached the potential of the concept. It plays most tropes somewhat straight and didn't tell jokes with them, Patrick behaves like a real jerk, and while he was punished in the end, it wasn't satisfying at all.
Of course it's much better than most of season 6 to 9A, but it's doesn't mean that it's good or anything. It's like to compare Good Neighbors to Choir Boys. Obviously Good Neighbors better episode by comparison, but it's just lesser evil.

I still think that this episode not bad, just really mediocre, I just expressed why I feel this way and why I think that pre-movie is pretty much untouchable.
P.S., and yes, I really don't like to defend post-movie, I just think that show always had some bad episodes, but not as much as it was in "dark ages".

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
I edited #5 I thought about what EAM said and came to the realization MM&BB III is undertalked about but not underrated.

It's still a three-way tie because I sort of forgot about the new #5 #3.

SquareSpongePantsBob

Floating Shopping List
Here are the two most underrated season 2 episodes,

Here are the honorable mentions before I start:

Only three since #5 was 3 episodes so it actually made it seven on the list

Gary Takes a Bath
No Free Rides
Squirrel Jokes

​#2

​Episode-Bubble Buddy
Episode-23b
Premiered-11/16/2000

That's right one of SpongeBob's most recognizable episodes is #2 on the underrated list. Why? Well it's liked a little bit less than The Smoking Peanut but I like both of them about the same. As popular as this episode is the perception of it seems to be good but nothing great or average. I find it to be great; one because it's a very "spongy" episode having a type of story this series is known for, two the humor, and three Squidward. This is one of the whimsical and popular stories you think of relating SpongeBob him blowing a bubble for a friend to begin with. But with pretty much all the episodes on these lists, it's the humor that makes me love them so much. The beginning with Leif Erickson's Day, Squidward's door, SpongeBob attempts at other friends, but the best of them all is at the Krusty Krab. Not only Squidward, but Mr. Krabs was great in this episode too. Squidward was hilarious in this episode. This was an episode like Pickles where everything he said and did was extremely funny. Mr. Krabs and his tattoo too, and his "everyone's money is good here" and then they show a bank robber eating a patty. The whole scene at the Krusty Krab was so hilarious though, especially SB sending the patties back and then finally Squidward's explosion. "THERE ONE OF EVERYTHING (A bunch of specific requests in between) and FARM RAISED TOMATOES CARNIVAL STYLE (Ferris wheel with patties set on the table) NOW IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE YOU NEED PLEASE HESITATE TO ASK!" :rofl: . It doesn't end there though then the whole scene on the beach back and forth to Bubble Buddy in the bathroom for two hours and the guy that kept saying Congratulations. And then finally snapping with an enormous line and people handing out drinks was brilliant. There's humor everywhere in this episode but the only part that bothers me was that the Bottomites were going a little overboard to kill Bubble Buddy.

#1 Underrated Season 2 Episode Is

​Episode-Krusty Love
Episode-36b
​Premiered-9/6/2002

​Krusty Love is my most underrated season 2 episode! What makes me love this episode so much? So much does, but before I start I'll explain some of the perception of the episode first. This episode is so underrated it was really the only episode I had planned for this list. (That's why you end up with 3-way ties on a 5 episode list). It seems like a lot people think it's underrated aswell, but the general consensus seems to be a very good episode but not THAAT great. I think it is. To begin I must say I'm like SB when it comes to romance/love with other people. But when this show does an episode on it or other emotional type episodes (HYSTS?) they do it right. To make me this much of a fan of this episode in a non-romantic show to do a romantic episode with two characters dating they must have done a lot right. There is just so many hilarious and fantastic moments in this episode. Right from the start with the band-aids all over the KK saying they were renovations, Mr. Puff, and then Mr. Krabs actually seeing Mrs. Puff. That seen was so great with SB misinterpreting what Mr. Krabs is trying to say but my favorite part was the music in the background during that scene. This also I believe is the first appearance of the Fancy! restaurant which is also great, a ship in a bottle was brilliant. More hilarity after that with the diver on the piano, the bill, and then my favorite part the whole last half of the episode at Mrs. Puff's house. SpongeBob and his "financial advisor", at the start, but Mr. Krabs here was brilliant. His overreaction to Mrs. Puff saying anything and then SB getting what he wanted and then getting mad at SB for getting it, then the whole scene of SB running back and forth was already great but then the explosion. If SB didn't explode I would have been quite annoyed with Mr. Krabs but the explosion was hilarious. The whole scene where SB puts his hands in the air and goes "WAIYYTT DON'T TELL ME!" then pulling out his eyes and imitating Mr. Krabs then making all the circles made the episode great enough, but then the second explosion just finished it off, and Mrs. Puff's "colorful vocabulary", and Mr. Krabs' mouth was ridiculously funny. This isn't even mentioning all the parts that made me laugh in between so yeah I think it's fair to say "most underrated episode of season 2."

Back