Squidward wants SpongeBob dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I take issue to to a few lines that were said in a few episodes. In the episode "Gary's Got Legs", Mr. Krabs asks where the halibut is SpongeBob, Squidward exclaims "Maybe he got hit by a bus, or he got a terminal disease!!!!". There were a few jokes like this in Broken Alarm that had jokes implying that Squidward wanted SpongeBob to be dead, but they were too subtle, so I let them slide. Anyone else take issue to this, I do and I think it is extremely disrespectful.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
I don’t like this new Squidward. I really don’t. After all SpongeBob’s done for him... They’re changing Squidward’s jerky demeanor and twisting into that of a heartless person. Where’s the heart Squidward had back in Dying for Pie? Where’s the reminiscence of the “I’ve always sort of liked you” confession from Graveyard Shift? Even Are You Happy Now?, a widely hated episode, showed Squidward and SpongeBob crying and sharing a tender moment whilst hugging. This new Squidward isn’t believable honestly. It admittedly fits his character, but it takes thing too far, and while I may be chuckling at his moments of dark humor on the outside due to the sheer cartooniness of it, on the inside I’m shaking my head. This is not the Squidward I want to see. I want to see the Squidward that I can sympathize with, like in Lame and Fortune. I want the Squidward that actually appreciates a thumbs up gesture from SpongeBob like in Two Thumbs Down. Please bring back likable Squidward!

Last edited:

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Count me in on not being able to stand this whole "wanting characters dead" schtick. Spongebob is not a stranger to dark comedy, but it just adds this off putting and unnecessary layer of cruelty to a beloved character in addition to destroying the immersion of cartoon invulnerability when it's made clear that they want blood. 😕

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
Count me in on not being able to stand this whole "wanting characters dead" schtick. Spongebob is not a stranger to dark comedy, but it just adds this off putting and unnecessary layer of cruelty to a beloved character in addition to destroying the immersion of cartoon invulnerability when it's made clear that they want blood. 😕

Yeah, the writers are taking what could be funny jokes and clever character dialogue, and are twisting them into blatant jabs and death wishes upon other characters. It may only be a cartoon, but it still is very unsettling, knowing that a character who’s supposed to not be entirely full of hatred deep down has stooped so low as to render this idea debatable.

#BringBackTsundereSquidward
#NotMySquidward
#SpongeLivesMatter

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I feel that Squidward is detrimental to the show at large

He's the REAL problem with SpongeBob SquarePants!

The show would improve drastically if he either got removed or at the very least de-emphasized

When he said all that terrible stuff and tried to BOIL SPONGEBOB & PATRICK alive in hot oil (MermaidPants) I felt so bad for them

I get Squidward is miserable due to having to work at the Krusty Krab and live next door to SpongeBob and Patrick but it's not their fault they're that way!

Squidward Tentacles IS ruining the show IMHO

Last edited:

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
I feel that Squidward is detrimental to the show at large

He's the REAL problem with SpongeBob SquarePants!

The show would improve drastically if he either got removed or at the very least de-emphasized

When he said all that terrible stuff and tried to BOIL SPONGEBOB & PATRICK alive in hot oil (MermaidPants) I felt so bad for them

I get Squidward is miserable due to having to work at the Krusty Krab and live next door to SpongeBob and Patrick but it's not their fault they're that way!

Squidward Tentacles IS ruining the show IMHO

I disagree with your first couple of points. I don’t believe that Squidward is the issue, I believe that he is one of many issues that have resulted from multiple different factors (e.g., the show running for so long, different writers). I doubt the show would get better if Squidward was “de-emphasized”, and it is completely farfetched and ignorant to think that removing a core character would “improve” SpongeBob SquarePants. Squidward’s relationship with SpongeBob provides a key dynamic in the show, one that makes the show relatable. As children, most can relate to SpongeBob, and as adults, most can relate to Squidward. Fans are able to watch SpongeBob with two different sets of eyes, so to speak. Removing Squidward would not only make the show worse, but the mere concept is practically impossible. There’s so much more to a show than just saying “Oh, I think that character isn’t likable anymore. Remove them!” For a minute or so, just sit down and think about how ludicrous the mere thought of it is. A move like that would only serve to devastate SpongeBob further, if you’d even like to refer to the show as in a state of distress. Personally, I think the show is doing a-okay at the moment. I think you should keep your head up and think positively!

I think what needs to be handled is the scripting. The writers behind SpongeBob SquarePants need to be less harsh with Squidward’s dialogue, meditate on his persona in episodes like “Dying For Pie”, and tone down the dark jokes. Exploiting his jerkiness for the sake of “humor” is not right, and I doubt many people find it funny that Squidward would, for example, excitedly ask if SpongeBob caught a terminal disease. It’s offensive in a way. They need to consider how far is too far. They need to ask themselves questions like, “Would Squidward care if ___ happened?” Why or why not? If they would sit down and study Squidward’s character, then maybe they’d realize that they’re writing Squidward all wrong.

Last edited:

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
The Squidward / SpongeBob relationship is akin to the Dr. Cox / J.D. relationship from the TV show "Scrubs" in my book: it's very one-sided. SpongeBob adores Squidward like J.D. adores Dr. Cox, while the latter characters cannot stand the formers' optimism and childishness. In my viewing experience, this dynamic works for two reasons: 1) because the curmudgeonly characters are occasionally given a chance to show their soft side, and 2) because when it comes down to it, the curmudgeons (Cox, Squidward) are humbled while the optimists (JD, SpongeBob) are redeemed.

That is, characters wishing ill or inflicting misery on other characters always get their comeuppance. This is how these shows (and stories in general) can depict morally deplorable actions without endorsing them.

coft

happy hopping moron
Yeah, Squid’s become a jerk recently.

Think about it, in ‘SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout’, all of SpongeBob’s enemies come to the party, yet Squidward needed convincing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back