MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Since, I'm home all day today, I figure I might as well start a topic relating to SpongeBob's design. There was a thread on this a little less than a year ago, but I didn't want to bump it. And to be honest, the thread wasn't really about his changes; just pictures drawn by fans depicting the changes. Just to let you know, I WON'T be talking about personality changes, just animation changes. Also, I will be doing this in chapters; probably 1-2 chapters a day, maybe 3 chapters if you want them. :) Anyway, let's begin..

CHAPTER 1 - THE BEGINNING OF A LEGEND

First, let's start with Help Wanted.

There's not much to explain about the episode; most SpongeBob fans have seen it at least once. It was the first SpongeBob episode, and it's the same animation that was pitched to Nickelodeon in the late 90's. This episode is much different from it's other 2 sister episodes (Reef Blower and Tea at the Treedome), most likely because Help Wanted was produced much earlier than any other episode. All the changes aren't just animation; this episode was heavily in the Krusty Krab, and we see very little other than the Krusty Krab and SpongeBob's house (in the beginning). Anyway, let's get into the episode.

The first characters we actually see are SpongeBob and Gary, so we'll start with them.

SpongeBob is (obviously) the main character of the show. There's not much else to say but... he's SpongeBob. This was his original (animated) design, so there's not much else to compare it to (other than Stephen Hillenburg's original SpongeBoy sketch).

attWFci.png

GO1WPkZ.png

esuzHWW.png

Now, for Gary, I could really only grab 2 decent pictures. But he looks pretty much the same as the rest of season 1, other than having smaller pupils here.

uG1K1zI.png

BRiF4R8.png

The next character to be seen is Patrick. Once we get to the rest of season 1, I will be comparing Help Wanted (I'll refer to it as the pilot from then on), I'll be comparing the pilot and later season 1 episodes. For now, I'll just show some pictures of Patrick from Help Wanted.

3rK649o.png

iFf3qiH.png

KpTmcBU.png

After we are introduced to The Krusty Krab, a place where a lot of future episodes take place, the next character to be seen is Squidward.

wvtlcW0.png

No more than a few seconds after Squidward, we see Mr. Krabs for the first time.

95D22T6.png

54uFepW.png

Sadly, these are the only characters we will see; this is actually one of my favorite designs, and would have loved to see other characters like this. There's not much to compare these to, but in chapter 2, I'll be talking about the rest of season 1, and be comparing the rest of season 1 to the pilot.

(CHAPTER 2 COMING LATER TODAY OR TOMORROW, DEPENDING ON INTEREST)

CHAPTER 2 - STARTING OUT OLD-FASHIONED

After Help Wanted, we had 2 more episodes that came with it. Reef Blower (which ran 2 minutes and 51 seconds, because Help Wanted was around 3 minutes short of a regular episode time) and Tea at the Treedome (which last regular time). Since Tea and the Treedome doesn't feature Squidward at all, we'll talk about his appearance in Reef Blower.

8UGY49t.png

CsnbjL3.png

gbmYUPY.png

At a first glance, you can tell some changes were made. The most notable thing would probably be his skin color. It has turned from a very turquoise to a turquoise with more equal blue and green, and darkened. Not much else has changed, except maybe a slightly wider neck.

Now, we'll move onto Tea at the Treedome.

(as a little side note, in this episode, jellyfish are a somewhat clear purple-ish color; if someone wants a screenshot, I can post one)

First up, our main character, SpongeBob SquarePants.

zYslDsB.png

0bdrYhu.png

EcreNlY.png

To be honest with you.. I can't really find any changes between Help Wanted and Tea at the Treedome for SpongeBob; that doesn't mean it won't change in the future, because it will... A LOT. But anyway, nothing has changed (that caught my eye) yet.

(This chapter IS NOT FINISHED yet. I still have a lot more things to add; I am taking a break for a little while.)

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Chapter 2 is PARTIALLY complete; probably only about 50% done actually. :P I'll be coming back and finishing the chapter later today. I'll be adding all chapters to my first post. :)

Very interesting topic idea! :) I guess I'm no longer the only one who likes the Help Wanted character designs. The only real differences I see are between Help Wanted and the other episodes, where the characters are shaded darker, it seems.

Back