SpongeBob's Legacy and How It Will Be Remembered in 70 Years

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I was thinking about this in the shower today and I was thinking about the lasting, enduring appeal of characters like Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Popeye (of course I had to mention my all time favorite cartoon character here, sorry) and so many others from several generations ago and since SpongeBob has often been mentioned alongside those big names, do you think people will still be talking about SpongeBob cartoons even in the 2080s, long after the voice actors and other folks that worked on the show have passed away and looking at SpongeBob as a truly everlasting classic cartoon? I really wonder how animation historians will look back on SpongeBob and in the event that the show stops airing on TV whether there will still be a way to get access to the episodes in the far distant future. I probably won't even be alive in 2080 or 2090 but just a thought.

If you want my honest opinion, I don't see it being discussed then. And if it is then, then it certainly won't be past 2100. SpongeBob is not a trademark series that has managed to appear in countless types of shows with tons of different writers and has also not lasted anywhere near the amount shows such as Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, and The Flinstones did. On top of that, this show lost it's "uniqueness" quite a while ago: a show with a bunch of outlandish characters in the sea sounds far more average now than it did in 1999. However, in the upcoming years after the show's end, it will definitely be remembered for quite some time as the show that is saving (and may just end up killing) the network. I added the killing because I honestly won't be shocked if one day NIckelodeon just ends completely because SpongeBob creators run out of ideas and Nickeolodeon can't find a replacement show... I mean, finding a show to replace a show running 15 years and counting is especially hard considering that the tv age is dying. I guess we'll have to see though because predictions can often be really wrong, even just a year ahead. (summer 2014 lmfao)

WhoWantsStancakes

It'll probably be a distant memory, only remembered by a small group of people on whatever social media sites they have then.
I myself believe shows like Gravity Falls or Adventure Time will be more renowned then, for doing things outside of industry standards for their time. If these shows end during their prime remains to be seen, but at least their first few seasons will be talked about. I imagine elderly people then (us) will probably still be joking about bronies and passing SpongeBob quotes, lol.

SpongeBob will probably be remembered similar to The Simpsons, great during its heyday but washed up (no pun intended).

That said, I really feel bad for all the staff who've been forced to work on this show for 17-18 years, only to get a decent pay. TV animation is grim, man. That's sorta why I'm glad to see web animators slowly overtake TV.

toasterstrutel

Krabby Patty Burglar
I feel like it'll be a show all of the kids have heard of but no one actually has seen in the 2080s. Or maybe it'll be a saturday morning cartoon idk :p But I hope the golden age isn't forgotten, and I hope the good episodes of the other seasons aren't forgotten either (actually a lot of them). Plus, even after the show ends someday we'll still have Battle for Bikini bottom to play :p

todd phillips

Krabby Patty Burglar
i don't know it's really hard to think about.because i know the fairlyodd parents can't and will never pick up the slack that is spongebob.but really i think that the fairlyodd parents should end first i'm kinda getting tired of timmy turner because he is still in elemetary school and hasn't lost his god parents yet.i even noticed how timmy turner wishes for something it blows up in his face and it's getting tiresome at least spongeebob brings something new to the table that nobody ever sees coming.i would really like to see spongebob last to the year 2099.i mean really what will kids of the future have to watch nothing that's what,a world without spongebob would be just sad and terrible.i can almost hear kids of the future crying because they have nothing to watch or to do.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
A few years ago I would have said there was a 50/50 chance that SpongeBob would go the way of the Rugrats (huge for a while then fizzles out) but as the years tick by it seems less and less likely. Viacom is still very supportive of the brand and judging by box office performance of the new movie so far he's not exactly fading into obscurity. SpongeBob has passed the "OMG BIGGEST CARTOON RIGHT NOW" stage but rather than disappear he's settled into a comfortable, stable existence.

It is difficult to judge what SpongeBob's legacy will be because so far it has been one continuous run as opposed to many different iterations and spin-offs like the characters you mention in the original post. On one hand it's very impressive that SpongeBob SquarePants (1999-????) has had such longevity but on the other hand we don't know how well the franchise would hold up if the original run ended and was either rebooted at some point or held onto by Viacom forever. If they stopped playing episodes on TV, would people care enough to seek out SpongeBob reruns on other platforms?

I'm not familiar with animation history and what does/doesn't make a classic character, but SpongeBob seems to have a lot of strong elements that regard. His character design is simple but distinctive and widely appealing; the setting of the show itself is isolated and somewhat timeless.

To sum up, I have no idea. But even if SpongeBob doesn't stand the test of time and reach the pantheon of enduring classics like Mickey and Bugs it doesn't seem likely that people will simply forget about the show considering it has been so big for so long.

Supmandude

Squog
In 70 years, everyone in the universe will forget about the so called "going downhill" that people think the show did and think of it as the greatest cartoon of all time!!!!!!! It'll be just like Mickey Mouse is today!!!!!! :D

Squidina

Tintenfisch
I don't think SB will be forgotten. It IS Nick's mascot show, afterall, and was/is beloved by children everywhere. It doesn't have a theme park like Walt Disney, etc.. But it's not something that is going to be forgotten.

I'm positive that access to the episodes will be possible in the future. For one thing, there are already tons of DVD's and such, and even if/when DVD's/Blue Rays should become extinct, there is always the internet and people who know how to find stuff and make it available (or convert DVDs/Blue Rays to whatever newer format exists then.)

E.V.I.L said:
If you want my honest opinion, I don't see it being discussed then. And if it is then, then it certainly won't be past 2100. SpongeBob is not a trademark series that has managed to appear in countless types of shows with tons of different writers and has also not lasted anywhere near the amount shows such as Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, and The Flinstones did. On top of that, this show lost it's "uniqueness" quite a while ago: a show with a bunch of outlandish characters in the sea sounds far more average now than it did in 1999. However, in the upcoming years after the show's end, it will definitely be remembered for quite some time as the show that is saving (and may just end up killing) the network. I added the killing because I honestly won't be shocked if one day NIckelodeon just ends completely because SpongeBob creators run out of ideas and Nickeolodeon can't find a replacement show... I mean, finding a show to replace a show running 15 years and counting is especially hard considering that the tv age is dying. I guess we'll have to see though because predictions can often be really wrong, even just a year ahead. (summer 2014 lmfao)
The one time I have to really disagree with you. I certainly don't think SB will ever be forgotten. It may not be as old as Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, but I do think it will be remembered for ages to come.

You had Mickey Mouse and then also Hanna-Barbera/Looney Tunes, etc, which were some of the first shows that ever made the switch from Adult TV to children's TV (At least bugs bunny was originally meant as an adult's cartoon, originally), Walt Disney went for the family thing (even complained when his character designers tried to draw the characters too grown up).

But, now you have Nickelodeon and SpongeBob, which also became a HUGE thing for all the reasons the crew made it, for all the reasons they explain in interviews (That SB is FUN! in comparison to 'Dora' which pretty much bores anyone to tears), it's exciting and funny and naughty, and everyone can enjoy it - forgetting those parents that complained about it (because there are parents who will complain about ANYTHING, I swear), there are lots of parents who enjoy the show with their children. Celebrities love the show, etc..

Unlike many shows, SB does tackle big themes and makes fun of them (for better or worse - not so funny how they try to make fun of suicide, but really, they could've done it worse - some of the most hated episodes ultimate have the best morals, while some of the most loved episodes don't touch on anything serious really).

A Pal For Gary - Watch out when you get a friend for your beloved pet, inform yourself about it. (Also, Snails ROCK more than you can imagine!)

Are you Happy Now? - You can't make everyone happy, and some people just don't find fun the same way others do... be careful when trying to "cheer someone up".

One Course Meal - That touched again on someone being so miserable that they wanted to - passively- kill themselves. That episode was very heavy, touched on extreme fear that lead a character to want to just die, gave everything up, just wanted the pain to end. Fear can bring someone down that far. I know many people hate the episode, but I don't. I really felt for Plankton there, and it was interesting to see how they handled the subject. Specficially from someone suffering both anxiety and trying to figure out how to handle each day (there are days when I think about laying down in the road, so to say, and ending the pain - I felt close to Plankton in that episode, because he went through things I go through, even if for him, it was all more obvious/straightforward, and his enemy/ex-friend found out his worst fear and took advantage of that... something I've been through, so to say).

The Splinter - Well, what kid hasn't freaked out when getting one? Who hasn't tried to pull it out themselves only to find "That HURTS!!!!" and be scared about getting it removed - only to find out that your mom or dad or maybe someone else entirely, knows how to remove it.

House Fancy - The Toenail Scene - Well, I hate that one, simply because it's put my fave episode on "infamous" lists, but I can say that who HASN'T stubbed their toe? .... No, Wait.... I was going to go on, but realised that I cannot redeem that scene in any way. (Primarily because it, unlike "The Splinter", or any other episode, had nothing at all to do with the plot and nothing else happened with the scene - it was forgotten directly after it happened... At the end of the show, Squidward isn't seen cuddling his poor toenail; and I personally do NOT get how Squidward had a toenail in the first place (he's an octopus, they don't have toenails... There's probably something I'm just not getting about that bit - maybe that was its charm: I was so out of left field... not to mention "OW!", so no one will ever forget that one.)

Er, all I wanted to say, really, is that I don't think this show will be forgotten for a long, long time. (At the very least, those who hated it will love bashing it; but I really do believe it will be remembered for a long, long time.)

Supmandude said:
In 70 years, everyone in the universe will forget about the so called "going downhill" that people think the show did and think of it as the greatest cartoon of all time!!!!!!! It'll be just like Mickey Mouse is today!!!!!! :D
I hope so!

The Drifter

Some person.
I think you guys seriously severely underestimated SpongeBob's popularity. For one thing, SpongeBob came out during the right time, when there's no other notable cartoon. SpongeBob easily become a International smash hit in a matter of few year (flash news people, there's a whole world outside America), which mean SpongeBob have a quality of being a popular show. Again, SpongeBob is popular internationally, while your so-called "innovative" show with obfuscating plot and stuff are stuck in the states, doomed to be completely forgotten when Americans forget about it. Meanwhile if Americans forgot about SpongeBob, everyone else would remember about him. Also, at least a generation have grown up under SpongeBob, and as i observed from adults, they remember fondly about their childhood, which mean in the future decades they would still remember SpongeBob.

And, withe advent of digital storage, SpongeBob would be even harder to forget since the entire show is on the net for anyone to watch, even if the show have long been cancelled. In the future historians would still remember SpongeBob asn an important part in animation history, it's one of the first animated show in the 21st century (the first will always be remembered), one of the show to be internationally famous during its era, have a huge presence in internet pop-culture, and all those negative talk about the show would make the show be remembered even more.

So, my guess is, around 2030-2040 people would remember the show nostalgically, in 2050-2060 the show would become "retro" and people would consider it to be cool again and start watching it again. And maybe around the 22 century SpongeBob would be listed as "notable cartoon show of the 21st century".

Supmandude said:
I agree, there's a saying that said "The reason the past is so good is because all the bad things are forgotten".

Back