SpongeBob's eyesight

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
So we all know that SpongeBob wears glasses for jellyfishing (or, at least, he used to, but that's a discussion for another time). Therefore we can deduce that he is either:
a.) a hipster
b.) shortsighted

The fact that he's a huge dork rules out option a.) so it would be safe to assume that he does in fact have some degree of shortsightedness that hinders his ability to catch jellies.

If this is the case, why doesn't he wear glasses for driving, too? Could the fact that he doesn't play a part in his inability to get through a course without destroying most of the obstacles and maiming Mrs. Puff?

Discuss.

bookgirl

Read a book
I have never questioned his eyesight. I never questioned why he wore glasses while Jellyfishing. Isn't there times he wears glasses when reading books? I do not remember.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
bookgirl said:
I have never questioned his eyesight. I never questioned why he wore glasses while Jellyfishing. Isn't there times he wears glasses when reading books? I do not remember.
A few times, but not consistently.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Tom Kenny wore glasses, right? Maybe the designers were playing with portrayer similarities.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
Maybe he.is afraid of being stung in the eyes

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Hmmm...it's funny because sometimes he can see stuff in the far distance and he doesn't need his glasses but other times he needs them for jellyfishing or reading or something else. :\

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
he musta read from a maginzine that he must wear glasses while jellyfishing so it would not sting it eyes

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
I've Always wondered why he ONLY wears them while Jellyfishing and at no Other point in Time. . .

I Mean I Guess If He were to wear them while trying his Boating test would Break the 2nd of Hillenburg's 3 rules for the Show; and be the 2nd Rule that That Nickelodeon has broken so far:

#1. the Identity of Pearl Krabs' Mother or the truth of the Krabby Patty Secret Formula must NEVER be revealed at any point in the series(I know; It's A Real Bummer for those of us who are DESPERATE to know these kinds of things; but It's what Hillenburg wanted for his show, and would've wanted for his show even if it lasted longer than HE did; and it has outlasted him)
#2. Spongebob must NEVER be allowed to get his Boating License(If He were to wear his Jellyfishing Glasses while Boating, He'd pass his Boating Test; and that's a Huge No-No for Spongebob; due to Hillenburg's rules he had established for his show since he Enjoyed the Dynamic between Mrs. Puff & Spongebob, and spongebob getting his license would end it; and would prevent the show from Being Butchered by Network Executives who wanted to turn Spongebob into a Kid)
#3. No Crossovers with other shows OR Spinoffs(So Far the ONLY 1 of 3 Rules of Hillenburg's that Nickelodeon is only now starting to disregard now that Steven Hillenburg is DEAD and can't oppose their actions to what used to be HIS show from beyond the grave; with Kamp Koral; It's still disrespectful to the dead, but why would a Corporate Entity who's primarily focused on making money & secretly as Greedy as Mr Krabs, who grave-robbed a Drink-cup Hat from a Skeleton, and Stole a Hat from a dead character in a Casket; care about respecting the wishes of a creator that signed over the rights to the show to them, making his creations theirs, and making them free to do whatever they want with it, whenever Nature took its course with him,they didn't try to rush it as that would raise too much suspicion & Controversy that would cost them money due to People boycotting their channels & Merchandise just to get a lousy spinoff made quicker, like as soon as the moment that Hillenburg got publicly Diagnosed with ALS, instead of after he Passed away from natural Causes; so Instead, they just waited for him to die; I Know, It's sick & its wrong; but Corporate Entities, such as HUGE Companies like Nickelodeon HAVE no such chains of morality; all that matters to those Corporate Entities/companies is Money, and they don't care HOW they get it; as long as they get their cold hard cash)

and there's a 4th Unspoken rule and it's a BIG one: Spongebob is an ADULT, NOT a Child; He's more of a Manchild than an actual kid. . . Hillenberg has ALWAYS Envisioned Spongebob as an Adult

Last edited:

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I think it's because Tom Kenny himself wears glasses

But if that's the case, why don't the other characters like Patrick, Squidward, Sandy, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, and Pearl wear glasses when Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Carolyn Lawrence, Clancy Brown, Doug Lawrence, and Lori Alan wear glasses in real life?

I never thought of SpongeBob not wearing his glasses to be the reason he constantly fails his boating test but it makes a LOT of sense!

If I were to take a driving test, I would certainly need my glasses

I also like the theory where SpongeBob is failing his test on purpose just for an excuse to hang around Mrs. Puff

Last edited:
So we all know that SpongeBob wears glasses for jellyfishing (or, at least, he used to, but that's a discussion for another time). Therefore we can deduce that he is either:
a.) a hipster
b.) shortsighted

The fact that he's a huge dork rules out option a.) so it would be safe to assume that he does in fact have some degree of shortsightedness that hinders his ability to catch jellies.

If this is the case, why doesn't he wear glasses for driving, too? Could the fact that he doesn't play a part in his inability to get through a course without destroying most of the obstacles and maiming Mrs. Puff?

Discuss.
b. his eyesight shall be discussed with Tom Kenny

Back