SpongeBob's Art Evolution

LARRY22

Giant Clam
I found out that there is a similar topic on this, but I thought that this will be a nice, fun updated version since that thread was like in 2013, I think at least.(Sorry I have a terrible memory) So, this is to show how much SpongeBob has changed in animation over the years, I will give my overall thoughts on each design, background, art style, etc by posting pictures from just the show, not the games. DISCLAIMER:I WON'T TALK ABOUT THE SEASON QUALITY ITSELF.

Season 1: (May 1, 1999- April 8, 2000)
movie-spongebob-squarepants-season-1-big.jpg

This season was the first, and only season to use cel animation, meaning they would draw it by hand, with no computers,
just their hands. The animation wasn't bad, it just looked grainy, however the second half of season 1 got cleaner animation.
The backgrounds were bland and weren't very colorful. The colors seemed a bit washed out for me. SpongeBob had very big eyeballs, was asymmetrical(like the rest of them) and was a pale yellow,
so the animation stands out due to the colors, and cel animation. The advantage though is that you really get an underwater feel
with this season. It was fluid too. No stiffness whatsoever.

Season 2: (October 26, 2000- July 26, 2003)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-2-Episode-3--Big-Pink-Loser--Bubble-Buddy.jpg

So, right after season 1, season 2 switched to digital animation, they would still draw by hand, but technology did some work as well.
This season looks a tiny bit stiffer than season 1, but is still fluid overall. This season did have better background art, as they would zoom out, and
have beautiful shades of purple, red orange, and other colors under the sea when there is something sad. SpongeBob looks asymmetrical still, but he is still square, Patrick switched from the "M" to the "Z" eyebrows that everyone knows and loves by around the 4th episode of the season. SpongeBob got the "New Cheeks" in Dying For Pie, but they weren't his prominent cheeks at all. SpongeBob's yellow was like a mix of white cheese, beige, and yellow. This season has some decent facial expressions too. So yeah, this is good animation. His design was classic.

Season 3: (October 5, 2001- October 11, 2004)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-3-Episode-7--As-Seen-on-TV--Can-You-Spare-a-Dime-.jpg

I said season 2 was only a little bit stiffer than season 1, but season 3, got A LOT stiffer, but this season has great, funny
expressions. In other words, "You like Krabby Patties, don't you Squidward? :sbface: " But seriously. Even though the animation got stiffer, the colors got more colorful. The lines got thicker in this season, especially SpongeBob's outline. This is a slightly ramped up season two except stiffer, brighter colors, more face expressions etc. SpongeBob's eyeballs got a bit smaller, and he became a little more rectangular (but not noticeable). They also used SpongeBob's Aaron Springer cheeks A LOT more, so yeah, I'd probably prefer the season 2 design over this, but I'd prefer season 3 animation over season 2's.

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: (November 19, 2004)
maxresdefault.jpg

So this is the first SpongeBob film, and it was broadcast in widescreen HD, and the animation looks really good. The scene with SB saying, "I'm ready, depression" has a beautiful sunset, and a bright blue shade in the sky, ( well, or I guess water :P ). The colors look decent for a 2004 film. SB's design looks completely different from how he looked in season 3. Speaking of different, there are some unique facial expressions in this movie. This movie went VERY off model (In a good way). It was very loose animation. To prove my point, I highly doubt they will make this face again :sbomg: :patrickomg: . The movie has good shading too. They don't go crazy with the animation though. The characters are in 2D the whole film and they all look really good, but the widescreen definitely makes it shine though.

Season 4: (May 6, 2005- July 24, 2007)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-4-Episode-4--Skill-Crane--Good-Neighbors.jpg

This background art hasn't changed too much from seasons 3-4, but there are some MAJOR changes. But first of all, Fear of A Krabby Patty has unique animation compared to the rest of season 4, he hasn't looked like how he does in FOAKP in any other episode. Anyway, The character designs changed except for Squidward. SpongeBob and Patrick have larger pupils, and the colors don't seem as alive as it was in season 3, it feel's like some episodes in season 4 (especially the early ones, have the paleness of season 2. SpongeBob hardly ever used his, "Old Cheeks" in this season. The animation slightly became less interesting to look at after around The Pink Purloiner. It seems like the 1st half was decent in fluidity, while the second half was sorta stiff. The animation isn't bad though, just, meh... =/

Season 5: (February 19, 2007- July 19, 2009)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-5-Episode-19--The-Two-Faces-of-Squidward--SpongeHenge.jpg

This season has the same art as the second half of season 4 for the most part, except, it got stiffer and stiffer and STIFFER. (How many times will I use the term stiff?) SpongeBob also got wider from left to right. The colors are pretty much the same. The middle of the season was when the crew started doing FULL ON digital animation, with sketches. They still draw by hand, but not as many times as in 1-4, also, Mr. Krabs got very pale in this season, going from red, to an orange-pink-red color mix, which is weird. Another thing that bothered me was that SB's nose went down all the time if he's sad. But, Squidward became more handsome in season 5! :clapping: =O (just kidding :P ). So yeah, full digital animation.(With drawings of course)

Season 6: (March 3, 2008- July 5, 2010)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-6-Episode-12--Porous-Pockets--Choir-Boys.jpg

Man, does the animation just get worse! This season has terrible animation, from the colors, to the stiffness, and SpongeBob's
design! Just... UGHH.. :patgross: Okay, the designs of the characters were downgraded, but SB especially. They drew him with a tiny mouth in some scenes,
especially in episodes like Boating Buddies. They also drew him with huge cheeks as his prominent design! And the worst part about the design, was when they drew cheeks
when his mouth was open. He looked very.. cringe-worthy. Just look at the picture! But the stiffness is a problem as well. (Truth or Square was in widescreen BTW.) It's like the characters are human characters, instead of underwater sea creatures(By the way,
sea creatures are supposed to move smoothly) So, yeah, not good animation at all. (Hopefully the next ones are good)

Season 7: (July 19, 2009- June 11, 2011)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-7-Episode-3--Someone-s-in-the-Kitchen-with-Sandy--The-Inside-Job.jpg

This season has better animation than 6, but SpongeBob isn't a square any more, he's a rectangle! His face is higher up as well, which makes him look worse. He's SpongeBob RectanglePants in this season AND 8. But the animation is still as stiff as season 6. It is like rubber basically. But this season is more interesting to look at than season 6. His eyes are smaller too BTW. The animation isn't good though. I don't know what else to say since this season has very similar animation to season 6.

Season 8: (March 26, 2011- December 6, 2012)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-8-Episode-1--Accidents-Will-Happen--The-Other-Patty.jpg

The season has decent animation, but the season has less facial expressions than any other season, and is stiff, in fact, probably the stiffest of the series. And SpongeBob's nose got fatter for some reason like Squidward's. (Huge exaggeration) The colors changed from warm to cool for some reason, and there aren't many nice looking shots, but this is alright. "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" was animated in stop motion though, which IMO, looks good(SpongeBob also doesn't have those stupid puffy cheeks anymore, he has his regular post movie cheeks as usual.) His face isn't high up anymore either :sbparty: ! Also, this is the final season to be in standard definition. Goodbye 4:3, you'll be missed dearly :sbbye2: ...

Season 9A: (July 21, 2012- March 29, 2015)
SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-9-Episode-1--Extreme-Spots--Squirrel-Record.jpg

All right, now this is where it gets interesting, (and actually fun to talk about for once :D) So, first and foremost, this is the first full season to be in 16:9 HD, and I have to say, that it looks glorious. Having no more black rectangles on the sides of your screen is awesome, LOL. The first movie, Truth or Square, and It's a SpongeBob Christmas were in HD, but no full season has done this. Buuttt.... they didn't really fix the stiffness problem (I'm sorry if I'm using the word stiff a lot, but it's true). But I did notice that the episodes, especially after License to Milkshake, became more fluid, except SpongeBob, You're Fired, that episode is stiff as a truck moving. The colors are a bit too bright, but it's not seizure inducing like that awful Cartoon Network show Problem Solverz. Also SB's eyes became a bit larger than before and his face takes up his body like it it should. They are doing more wide-shots now too. Also, the backgrounds are BEAUTIFUL. It only gets better folks.

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water: (February 6, 2015)
vlcsnap-2015-05-22-05h41m48s49.png

Now this is what I'm talking about! The animation in this movie, is absolutely PHENOMENAL! It's gorgeous. The colors are a 10/10 in my book, they are so bright and beautiful. SpongeBob's eyes are a lot larger than before, and the background art is fantastic! It's crisp, and yes, it is fluid. FINALLY! Fluid animation! The shading is perfectly on point, and the models are on point. While the facial expressions are not as off model as the first movie, it is not as dead and expressionless as season 8. The CGI is good. Not as great as the 2D, but it looks very cute on the characters. So yeah, ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC ANIMATION! This is what you get with a movie budget! :clapping:

Season 9B: (July 16, 2015- February 20, 2017)
zuN6ZBK.jpg

This season ramped up the the fluidity 100%. At this point you really can't say stiff when it comes to post-sequel. I mean seriously, look at that picture, and tell me if it is stiff. Also the lines became thicker like
it was in season 2 and 3. Also, like always, the colors are awesome. One important thing to note is that Mr. Krabs isn't pink/orange/red like in seasons 4-8, he is red again, and also, SpongeBob doesn't have those season 6 cheeks anymore. One last important note is that SpongeBob is using is old cheeks more often, which makes him look more classic. This animation is fun to look at :thumb1:.

Season 10: (October 15, 2016- Present)
jtMs9Ft.jpg

The art is similar to 9B, except it's even smoother, and WAY more fluid, I would even say it's as fluid as season 2,
and the expressions are up to 11! No more of that on model stuff. They are actually moving like the underwater creatures that we know and love. Also, the colors got brighter, but again, not, eye-hurting bright. One major thing I noticed is that they are actually using more bubbles when the fish move again, to indicate they are underwater. Seasons 6-8 hardly did that. Seasons 1-3 feels underwater because of the dull colors making it seem more realistic, while seasons 9A-10 feels underwater with its Great Barrier Reef like colors, while the other seasons don't. Also, SB's cheeks got a darker red like in late season 3. In other words, his cheeks are more noticeable.

So what did you think? :thumb1:

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Zimmy11 said:
You do realise you can edit your own posts right?
I know that, but I used my phone doing that, so I couldn't really edit since it was so complicated. But this one is the official.(I'm on PC, right now) Using my phone was a bad idea. LOL

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
I think you should've waited until you were ready to make a topic. All of the photos aren't even here yet. Just a tip. :P

SpongeBob And Patrick

I hate Wednesdays!
Rochester, New York State, The United States Of Am
I think you should've waited until you were ready to make a topic. All of the photos aren't even here yet. Just a tip. :P
Well, when I was 12, I tried to post a topic on a forum, but, I was apparently having problems with my computer, so, I ended up posting it twice, by accident and one of them wasn't even complete!

LARRY22

Giant Clam
I decided to add photos to top instead of randomly to make this more compact, so you will see a lot of deleted post from me.

Back